Wish you could get a refund on high-priced auto insurance? It’s a common feeling and you’re not the only one. Big companies like State Farm, Progressive and GEICO continually hit you with advertising and it can be hard to avoid their marketing magic and find the best price available.
How to buy Portland auto insurance online
There are multiple methods you can shop for auto insurance but one way is easier and takes less work. You can waste a few hours (or days) talking to local insurance agents in Portland, or you could save time and use online quoting to get rate comparisons in just a few minutes.
Most of the larger companies take part in a program where insurance shoppers enter their policy data once, and every company can provide price quotes based on that data. This eliminates the need for quotation requests for each company you want a rate for. To participate in this free quote system, click here to start a free quote.
The only downside to using this type of system is you are unable to specify which companies you will receive quotes from. So if you prefer to choose from a list of companies for rate comparison, we have a listing of auto insurance companies in Tennessee. Click to view list.
Compare rates however you want, just do your best to use exactly the same coverages on every quote. If you are comparing different values for each quote you will not be able to decipher which rate is best in Portland.
Save $476 a year? Really?
Consumers in Tennessee can’t escape the ads for cheaper auto insurance from the likes of State Farm, GEICO and Progressive. All the ads advertise claims that people will save if you just switch to them.
How is it plausible that every one can say the same thing? It’s all in the wording.
Different companies look for specific characteristics for the type of driver that will generate a profit. A good example of a preferred risk may need to be over the age of 45, has never had a claim, and drives less than 5,000 miles a year. A propective insured who fits that profile will most likely get cheap car insurance rates and most likely will save when they switch companies.
Drivers who don’t measure up to this ideal profile may be forced to pay higher premium rates with the end result being business going elsewhere. The trick is to say “people who switch” but not “all drivers who get quotes” save that much when switching. That’s why companies can truthfully claim big savings. This illustrates why you need to do a rate comparison at every renewal. It’s impossible to know with any certainty which company will have the lowest rate quotes.
Informed consumers know how to buy auto insurance for less
Many factors are used when you quote your car insurance policy. Some factors are common sense like an MVR report, although some other factors are less apparent like your vehicle usage or how safe your car is. Part of the auto insurance buying process is learning a few of the rating criteria that help calculate your premiums. If you know what impacts premium levels, this enables you to make decisions that will entitle you to better auto insurance rates.
- Liability coverage claims can be big – The liability coverage on your policy will afford coverage if you are found liable for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Your policy’s liability insurance provides legal defense coverage which can cost thousands of dollars. This coverage is relatively inexpensive as compared to coverage for physical damage, so do not skimp.
- Safer cars cost less to insure – Vehicles with good safety scores cost less to insure. Safe vehicles have better occupant injury protection and fewer injuries translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and thus lower rates. If your car, truck, or SUV has ratings of a minimum four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org it may be receiving lower rates.
- Lower performance equals lower insurance prices – The make and model of the vehicle you are insuring makes a big difference in determining your rates. The cheapest insurance rates are usually found on the lowest performance passenger cars, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
- Experienced drivers pay less – Older drivers tend to be more responsible, file fewer claims , and are generally more financially stable.Teen drivers are known to be careless and easily distracted when behind the wheel therefore auto insurance rates are much higher.
- Do you need those extra policy coverages? – Insurance policies have a lot of additional coverages that can add up on your policy. Add-on coverages like personal injury protection, death and dismemberment, and motor club memberships may not be needed and are just wasting money. You may think they are a good idea when deciding what coverages you need, but your money might be better spent on other coverage so eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Infrequent drivers can save – The more you drive annually the more it will cost to insure it. A lot of companies rate vehicles based on how the vehicle is used. Autos left parked in the garage receive lower rates than those that get driven frequently. It’s a good idea to make sure your auto insurance declarations sheet states how each vehicle is driven, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Traffic violations mean higher prices – How you drive impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Good drivers tend to pay less for car insurance compared to drivers with tickets. Just one moving violation may cause rates to rise by as much as thirty percent. Drivers who have gotten flagrant tickets such as DUI, reckless driving or excessive speeding may find that they have to to prove financial responsibility to the state department of motor vehicles in order to prevent their license from being revoked.
- lapses raise rates – Allowing your auto insurance policy to lapse will be a fast way to increase your renewal premiums. Not only will rates go up, getting caught without coverage may earn you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license.
Earn discounts on Tennessee auto insurance
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always advertise the entire discount list very clearly, so the following list contains some of the more common and also the lesser-known credits available to bring down your rates.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Cars equipped with ABS or steering control are safer to drive and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to complete a driver education course in school.
- Defensive Driver – Participating in a class that teaches defensive driving techniques could earn you a small percentage discount and also improve your driving technique.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you can bundle your homeowners and auto insurance with the same insurance company you will save as much as 10 to 15 percent.
- Drive Safe and Save – Drivers without accidents may receive a discount up to 45% compared to accident prone drivers.
- Organization Discounts – Affiliation with qualifying clubs or civic groups could qualify you for a break when getting a .
- Early Payment Discounts – If paying your policy premium upfront instead of making monthly payments you may reduce your total bill.
- Early Switch Discount – A few companies allow discounts for switching companies before your current coverage expires. The savings is around 10%.
- First Accident Forgiveness – but certain companies may permit one accident before they charge you more for coverage if you have no claims for a certain period of time.
One thing to note about discounts is that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. Despite the fact that it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, it’s just not the way it works.
A few companies that possibly offer these discounts are:
- State Farm
- Liberty Mutual
- American Family
- Farmers Insurance
- Auto-Owners Insurance
Double check with each insurance company how many discounts you can get. Depending on the company, some discounts may not apply in Portland. If you would like to choose from a list of companies that have a full spectrum of discounts in Tennessee, click this link.
Auto insurance is unique, just like you
When choosing proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no perfect coverage plan. Every situation is different so your insurance needs to address that. For example, these questions might help in determining if your situation will benefit from professional help.
- Where can I get insurance after a DUI in Tennessee?
- Is business equipment covered while in my vehicle?
- What should my uninsured motorist coverage limits be in Tennessee?
- What vehicles should carry emergency assistance coverage?
- What can I do if my company won’t pay a claim?
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
If you’re not sure about those questions, you might consider talking to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area. It only takes a few minutes and can help protect your family.
Compare rate quotes but buy from a local Portland insurance agent
Many people still like to buy from a local agent. Licensed agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help you file claims. A good thing about comparing rate quotes online is that you can find the best rates and still have an agent to talk to.
For easy comparison, once you complete this quick form, the coverage information is transmitted to local insurance agents that provide for your insurance coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to find an agent on your own as quotes are delivered immediately to your email address. In the event you want to quote rates from a specific auto insurance provider, you can always jump over to their website and give them your coverage information.
Deciding on a company should include more criteria than just the quoted price. Below are some questions you should ask.
- Will they give you a referral list?
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
- Is there a 24/7 contact number?
- Will the agent or a CSR service your policy?
- When do they do policy reviews?
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in Tennessee?
- Do they get paid more for recommending certain coverages?
Below is a short list of auto insurance companies in Portland that are able to give rate quotes.
Kyle Dorris Insurance – 503 S Broadway, Portland, TN 37148 – (615) 325-0064
Allstate Insurance – 302 Sandye Ave, Portland, TN 37148 – (615) 325-1911
Jernigan & Cage Insurance – 201 S Broadway, Portland, TN 37148 – (615) 325-6715
Farm Bureau Insurance – 621 S Broadway, Portland, TN 37148 – (615) 323-0346
Upon getting answers to your satisfaction to any questions you have and quotes, it’s a good possibility that you have found an insurance company that can service your policy.
We just showed you some good ideas how to reduce auto insurance car insurance rates online. It’s most important to understand that the more rate comparisons you have, the better likelihood of getting . Consumers could even find that the best car insurance rates are with the smaller companies. Smaller companies may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates compared to the large companies like GEICO and State Farm.
When buying insurance coverage, it’s not a good idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In many instances, an accident victim reduced full coverage only to regret that the savings was not a smart move. The ultimate goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Some insurance companies may not offer the ability to get quotes online and these regional insurance providers only sell through independent agencies. Low-cost auto insurance is possible both online as well as from insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best selection.
For more reading
More detailed Tennessee auto insurance information is available at the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance website. Tennessee drivers can read state legal mandates and laws, learn about specific coverages, and get help finding coverage.
These articles may also be worth reading.