I can’t think of anyone who looks forward to paying premiums for car insurance, especially when they are aware that the price is too high. With consumers having so many companies to choose from, it is hard for the average consumer to find the most cost effective insurance company.
It’s a good habit to shop coverage around before your next renewal because car insurance rates trend upward over time. Just because you had the best premium rates at your last renewal other companies may now be cheaper. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about car insurance because you’re about to find out how to quote online to save money, get proper deductibles and limits, all at the lowest rate.
Reduce your car insurance rates with discounts
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but there may be some discounts that you may not even be aware of. Some of these disounts will be visible when you get a quote, but some must be manually applied before you will receive the discount. If they aren’t giving you every credit you deserve, you are paying more than you should be.
- Professional Organizations – Being a member of qualifying clubs or civic groups could earn you a nice discount on your next car insurance statement.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Purchasing coverage when you have multiple vehicles on one policy qualifies for this discount.
- Save over 55 – Mature drivers may receive reduced rates.
- E-sign – A few companies will give you a small discount for completing your application on their website.
- Lower Rates for Military – Being deployed in the military may lower your premium rates slightly.
- First Accident Forgiveness – but companies like GEICO and Liberty Mutual will turn a blind eye to one accident before your rates go up if you have no claims prior to the accident.
- Save with a New Car – Adding a new car to your policy can save up to 30% compared to insuring an older model.
- Discounts for Responsible Drivers – Insureds who avoid accidents may receive a discount up to 45% compared to accident prone drivers.
- Telematics Data Discounts – Policyholders that allow data collection to study driving habits by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate may get a rate reduction if they have good driving habits.
One thing to note about discounts is that most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. Most cut specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Just because you may think you could get a free car insurance policy, nobody gets a free ride.
A list of companies and a selection of discounts can be read below.
- State Farm may include discounts for good student, multiple autos, defensive driving training, driver’s education, and anti-theft.
- Farmers Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including electronic funds transfer, youthful driver, homeowner, distant student, switch companies, pay in full, and business and professional.
- Progressive has discounts for multi-vehicle, online signing, good student, continuous coverage, and multi-policy.
- GEICO includes discounts for good student, emergency military deployment, anti-lock brakes, driver training, military active duty, and anti-theft.
- Auto-Owners Insurance discounts include safe vehicle, multiple vehicles, mature driver, paid in full, group or association, and company car.
- The Hartford offers discounts including good student, air bag, vehicle fuel type, anti-theft, bundle, defensive driver, and driver training.
- Farm Bureau offers premium reductions for multi-vehicle, driver training, youthful driver, multi-policy, and safe driver.
- USAA has savings for driver training, family discount, military installation, good student, and multi-vehicle.
Before purchasing a policy, check with each insurance company to give you their best rates. All car insurance discounts may not be offered in your area.
You may need specialized car insurance coverage
When it comes to buying the right insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there is no best way to insure your cars. Every situation is different and your policy should reflect that. For example, these questions could help you determine whether you will benefit from professional help.
- Is my cargo covered for damage or theft?
- Does liability extend to a camper or trailer?
- Am I covered if I crash into my own garage door?
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
- How can I get high-risk coverage after a DUI?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- Does having multiple vehicles earn me a discount?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Compare prices but still have a local neighborhood Shorewood car insurance agent
Certain consumers still like to visit with an insurance agent and we recommend doing that The best thing about price shopping on the web is the fact that you can find cheap rate quotes and still have a local agent.
Once you complete this short form, your information is instantly submitted to companies in Shorewood who will give competitive quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to even leave your home because quoted prices will be sent to you instantly. You can most likely find cheaper rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If you want to get a rate quote from a specific car insurance provider, you can always find their quoting web page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Finding the right company requires more thought than just a cheap price. Here are some questions you should ask.
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- Will the company cover a rental car if your car is getting fixed?
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- Are they paid to recommend certain coverages?
To easily select a specific agent in Shorewood, please view this list of Shorewood, WI insurance agents.
After talking to the agent and getting positive responses to these questions and an affordable coverage quote, it’s possible that you found an insurer that meets the criteria to insure your vehicles.
For more information
Additional detailed information is available at the Wisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance website. Wisconsin consumers can view agent and company licensing information, read consumer alerts, and learn about specific coverages.
Smart consumers save more
When getting , you should never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are many occasions where consumers will sacrifice liability coverage limits only to discover later that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your goal should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest price and still be able to protect your assets.
In this article, we presented some good ideas how you can compare car insurance premium rates online. It’s most important to understand that the more price quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers could even find that the biggest savings come from some of the lesser-known companies. These smaller insurers may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates compared to the large companies like State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
The cheapest car insurance can be purchased both online and with local Shorewood insurance agents, so get from both of them to have the best rate selection. Some car insurance companies may not have online quoting and these small insurance companies sell through independent agencies.