Nobody that owns a car looks forward to paying premiums for auto insurance, especially when their premiums are too high. Companies like GEICO, Progressive and Allstate persitently shower you with ads and consumers find it hard to see past the corporate glitz and take the time to shop coverage around.
The method we recommend to compare insurance rates in your area utilizes the fact most insurance companies participate in a system to give free rates quotes. The only thing you need to do is give the companies some data like if a SR-22 is required, marital status, what you do for a living, and types of safety features. Your insurance information is submitted instantly to multiple top-rated companies and you should receive rate quotes immediately.
To compare multiple company rates now, click here and enter the information requested.
Virginia auto insurance discounts
Some companies don’t list the complete list of policy discounts in an easy-to-find place, so here is a list both well-publicized as well as some of the hidden savings tricks you should be using when you .
- Theft Deterent Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and will qualify for a discount on a .
- Employee of Federal Government – Having worked for a branch of the government can save as much as 8% but check with your company.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you may earn nearly 15% which can help you find .
- Life Insurance Discount – Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn a discounted auto insurance rate on car insurance if you buy life insurance.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking time to complete a course that instructs on driving safety could possibly earn you a 5% discount if your company offers it.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Have your child participate in a local driver’s education class as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts may earn rate discounts of more than 20%.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles – Buying coverage for multiple vehicles on one policy can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Good Student Discount – Maintaining excellent grades may save you up to 25%. The good student discount can last well after school through age 25.
Consumers should know that most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. If you do the math and it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, it doesn’t quite work that way.
A list of auto insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts are outlined below.
- Progressive has discounts for good student, multi-policy, online signing, multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, and homeowner.
- SAFECO offers discounts including homeowner, bundle discounts, teen safe driver, teen safety rewards, accident prevention training, anti-theft, and drive less.
- American Family discounts include Steer into Savings, early bird, air bags, multi-vehicle, and good driver.
- MetLife has savings for defensive driver, multi-policy, accident-free, claim-free, good student, and good driver.
- GEICO may offer discounts for multi-policy, five-year accident-free, daytime running lights, federal employee, and seat belt use.
- The Hartford may have discounts that include vehicle fuel type, air bag, driver training, anti-theft, good student, and defensive driver.
Check with all the companies how you can save money. Some discounts listed above might not apply in South Boston.
More sites with auto insurance information
Additional auto insurance information can be found on the found here. Virginia consumers can file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, find out industry alerts, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, and find disaster information.