Are you regretting the purchase of an underperforming, overpriced auto insurance policy? Say no more because you’re not the only one. Many insurance companies compete for your hard-earned dollar, so it can be very hard to choose a company and get the best coverage at the lowest rate possible.
North Dakota auto insurance discounts
Auto insurance is not inexpensive, but you might already qualify for some discounts to reduce the price significantly. Some of these disounts will be visible when you complete an application, but a few must be manually applied in order for you to get them.
- Active Service Discounts – Being deployed with a military unit may lower your premium rates slightly.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Low mileage vehicles can earn lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Anti-theft System – Vehicles that have factory anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Senior Citizen Rates – Seniors can get a slight reduction on a .
- Driver Safety – Completing a defensive driving class may get you a small discount depending on where you live.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Putting auto insurance coverage on a new car can save up to 30% since new vehicles have better safety ratings.
Don’t be surprised that many deductions do not apply the the whole policy. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. Just because you may think you would end up receiving a 100% discount, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
Companies and their offered discounts can be found below.
- The Hartford has savings for bundle, driver training, vehicle fuel type, air bag, defensive driver, anti-theft, and good student.
- American Family offers premium reductions for mySafetyValet, air bags, bundled insurance, good student, TimeAway discount, and defensive driver.
- Progressive has discounts for online signing, homeowner, online quote discount, continuous coverage, multi-policy, and good student.
- Travelers discounts include save driver, hybrid/electric vehicle, continuous insurance, home ownership, and driver training.
- Farmers Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including early shopping, multi-car, alternative fuel, youthful driver, and pay in full.
- USAA offers discounts including military installation, loyalty savings, driver training, family discount, vehicle storage, and good student.
- Liberty Mutual may offer discounts for new vehicle discount, new graduate, newly married, hybrid vehicle, exclusive group savings, good student, and safety features.
If you are trying to find , ask every company which discounts they offer. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not be available everywhere. If you would like to see a list of insurers who offer auto insurance discounts in North Dakota, click here.
Smart buyers can cut their rates
Part of the auto insurance buying process is learning the different types of things that aid in calculating your auto insurance rates. If you have a feel for what impacts premium levels, this enables you to make decisions that may reward you with lower auto insurance prices. Lots of things are used when premium rates are determined. Some are obvious like a motor vehicle report, but other criteria are not as apparent like your vehicle usage or how safe your car is.
- Women tend to be lower risk – Statistics demonstrate women tend to be less risk to insure than men. However, don’t assume that women are BETTER drivers than men. Men and women cause fender benders at a similar rate, but the men cause more damage. Men also receive more major tickets such as DWI and reckless driving. Teenage male drivers tend to get in the most accidents and therefore pay the highest rates.
- Higher coverage deductibles save money – Your deductibles tell how much you are required to pay if you file a covered claim. Coverage for physical damage, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Some coverage claims are a windshield broken by a bird, hail damage, and having a roll-over accident. The more damage repair cost you have to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- Premiums increase with policy add-ons – Insurance policies have a lot of optional add-on coverages that you can buy on your auto insurance policy. Coverage for things like replacement cost coverage, towing coverage, and extra life insurance coverage could be just wasting money. They may seem good initially, but your money might be better spent on other coverage so get rid of them and save.
- Liability protection limits should be high – The liability section of your policy will afford coverage when a court rules you are at fault for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. Liability provides for a legal defense starting from day one. Liability is cheap compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Deter car thieves – Purchasing a vehicle with advanced anti-theft systems can help lower your rates. Theft prevention features like GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all hinder vehicle theft.
Auto insurance quotes from neighborhood Thompson auto insurance agents
Some people would rather buy from a licensed agent and that can be a great decision An additional benefit of comparing insurance prices online is that drivers can save money and get lower rates but also keep your business local.
After completing this short form, the quote information is emailed to insurance agents in Thompson who can give free rate quotes for your coverage. There is no reason to contact any insurance agencies due to the fact that quote results will go to you instantly. It’s the lowest rates AND a local agent. If you want to get a comparison quote for a specific company, feel free to jump over to their website and give them your coverage information.
Finding the right insurer is decision based upon more than just a cheap price quote. The following questions are important to ask.
- Does the quote include credit and driving reports?
- Is there a 24/7 contact number?
- Is the agent properly licensed in North Dakota?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Do they have a Better Business Bureau rating in Thompson?
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
If you’re trying to find a local Thompson insurance agency, it’s important to understand the types of insurance agents and how they can quote your rates. Auto insurance agents in Thompson are categorized either independent (non-captive) or captive.
These agents work for only one company and some examples include American Family, State Farm, and Allstate. Captive agents are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so they have to upsell other benefits. Captive agencies receive extensive training on the products they sell which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
Agents of this type can sell policies from many different companies and that allows them to write policies with multiple insurance companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If you are not satisfied with one company, the business is moved internally and you stay with the same agent.
When comparison shopping, you absolutely need to include a few independent agents so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
Listed below is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Thompson willing to provide rate quotes.
Hjelmstad Insurance Inc – 2084 4th Ave NE – Thompson, ND 58278 – (701) 599-2901
To choose from more auto insurance agents in Thompson, link to this complete selection of auto insurance agents in Thompson, ND.
More North Dakota auto insurance resources
More detailed North Dakota auto insurance information can be found at the North Dakota Insurance Department website. North Dakota consumers can learn about specific coverages, find out industry alerts, and learn about insurance regulations.
Online plus local equals savings
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of information how to get a better price on auto insurance. It’s most important to understand that the more rate comparisons you have, the better your chances of lowering your premium rates. Consumers could even find that the best car insurance rates are with a small mutual company. Some small companies may cover specific market segments cheaper than the large multi-state companies such as Progressive and Geico.
When you , you should never buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are many occasions where someone dropped liability limits or collision coverage only to find out that it was a big mistake. Your objective should be to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest price, not the least amount of coverage.