Scraping up a payment for overpriced car insurance can overdraw your bank account and put the squeeze on your family’s finances. Shopping your coverage around is a great way to tighten up your finances. With so many insurance companies to choose from, it’s difficult to find the best car insurance company.
Consumers should take time to check car insurance prices quite often since rates are constantly changing. Even if you got the lowest rates on your last policy you may be paying too much now. Ignore everything you know about car insurance because we’re going to demonstrate the things you must know in order to buy cheaper car insurance.
Locating the lowest cost protection in Wheat Ridge is simple if you know the tricks. If you have a current car insurance policy or need new coverage, you can use this information to shop for the lowest rates and possibly find even better coverage. Colorado drivers just need to know the proper methods to buy car insurance on the web.
Car Insurance Comparison Rates in Wheat Ridge, CO
Finding lower Wheat Ridge car insurance rates doesn’t have to be difficult. Just spend a little time getting comparison quotes online from several insurance companies. This can be done in a couple of different ways.
- The recommended way consumers can analyze rates is an all-inclusive rate comparison (click to open form in new window). This form keeps you from doing separate quote forms to each individual car insurance company. Filling out one form gets you price quotes .
- A less efficient way to analyze rates requires a trip to the website of each company and fill out their own quote form. For examples sake, we’ll pretend you want comparison quotes from State Farm, Esurance and American Family. To get each rate you have to visit each site and enter your information, which is why most consumers use the first method. For a list of links to insurance companies in Wheat Ridge, click here.
- The least recommended method of comparing rate quotes is driving to insurance agents’ offices. The internet can eliminate the need for a local agent unless you want the professional advice of a licensed agent. It is possible to price shop online but still have the advice of a local agent and we’ll touch on that later.
It doesn’t matter which method you choose, just ensure you’re using identical coverages with every price quote. If you have higher or lower deductibles it will be impossible to make an equal comparison in Wheat Ridge.
Don’t pay full price with these discounts
Car insurance is not cheap, but you can get discounts to help bring down the price. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically at the time of quoting, but a few need to be specifically requested before they will apply. If you’re not getting every credit available, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Factory air bags or automatic seat belts may earn rate discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Seat Belt Usage – Drivers who require all occupants to use a seat belt could save 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control can avoid accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Government Employees – Simply working for the federal government can earn a discount up to 10% with select insurance companies.
- Payment Method – If you pay your bill all at once instead of making monthly payments you may reduce your total bill.
- Accident Forgiveness – A handful of insurance companies will forgive one accident without raising rates if you are claim-free for a set time period.
It’s important to note that most credits do not apply the the whole policy. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. Just because you may think you would end up receiving a 100% discount, car insurance companies aren’t that generous. But any discount will reduce your premiums.
To see a list of insurers with discount car insurance rates in Wheat Ridge, follow this link.
Why you might pay higher rates in Wheat Ridge
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the elements that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for car insurance. Knowing what influences your rates allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to better car insurance rates.
- Your location affects your rates – Residing in a rural area has it’s advantages when it comes to car insurance. Fewer drivers means reduced accidents and also fewer theft and vandalism claims. City drivers have to deal with congested traffic and longer commute times. More time on the road can result in more accidents.
- Marriage brings a discount – Getting married actually saves money on car insurance. It is viewed as being more mature and statistics show married couples file fewer claims.
- Safe vehicles cost less to insure – Vehicles with high crash test scores tend to have better insurance rates. These vehicles reduce injuries and better occupant protection translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and more competitive rates for policyholders.
- Lower miles equals lower premium – Driving more miles in a year’s time the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. The majority of insurers price each vehicle’s coverage based on how the vehicle is used. Cars not used for work or commuting can get a lower rate as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Ask your agent if your car insurance coverage is rated on the proper vehicle usage, because it can save money.
- High numbers of claims are not good – Car insurance companies in Colorado award better rates to policyholders who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you are a frequent claim filer, you can expect higher rates. Your insurance policy is designed for larger claims.
- Rates may be lower depending on your job – Occupations like doctors, executives and stock brokers have the highest rates in part from stressful work requirements and lots of time spent at work. On the other hand, jobs such as farmers, students and the unemployed get better rates.
- Do you need the policy add-ons? – There are quite a few add-on coverages that can waste your money when buying car insurance. Coverages for personal injury protection, accident forgiveness and motor club memberships are some examples. These may sound like a good investment when talking to your agent, but if you don’t need them eliminate them to save money.
Comparing rates from local agents
A small number of people prefer to sit down with an agent and that is just fine! Agents can point out coverage gaps and give you peace of mind. The best thing about comparing insurance prices online is you can get the best rates and still have an agent to talk to. Buying from local businesses is important particularly in Wheat Ridge.
After completing this quick form, your insurance coverage information is instantly submitted to participating agents in Wheat Ridge who will compete for your coverage. You never need to visit any agencies due to the fact that quote results will go straight to your inbox. It doesn’t get any easier!
Captive or Independent: There is a difference
When searching for a good Wheat Ridge insurance agent, you must know there are a couple types of insurance agents that you can select. Agencies in Wheat Ridge are categorized either captive or independent. Both types can do a good job, but it’s good to learn the differences because it can impact your selection of an agent.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agencies are not employed by any specific company but instead can place your coverage with multiple insurance companies depending on which coverage is best. If you are not satisfied with one company, the agent simply finds a different carrier and that require little work on your part.
When comparing rates, it’s a good idea to get quotes from at least one independent agent to get the best comparison.
Below is a short list of independent insurance agents in Wheat Ridge that are able to give competitive price quotes.
American National Insurance Co – 7651 W 41st Ave – Wheat Ridge, CO 80033 – (303) 421-1637
Bob Leid Agency – 7615 W 38th Ave # B109 – Wheat Ridge, CO 80033 – (303) 422-2018
Mile Hi Insurance – 4045 Wadsworth Blvd # 306 – Wheat Ridge, CO 80033 – (303) 237-5445
Truckers Equity Agency Inc – 10200 W 44th Ave # 134 – Wheat Ridge, CO 80033 – (303) 430-5725
Captive agencies can only place business with one company like Farmers Insurance or State Farm. They usually cannot give you multiple price quotes so keep that in mind. They are trained well in insurance sales which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
The following is a list of captive insurance agents in Wheat Ridge that are able to give rate quotes.
Allstate Insurance – 4251 Kipling St # 300 – Wheat Ridge, CO 80033 – (303) 420-5642
Farmers Insurance Group – 7230 W 38th Ave – Wheat Ridge, CO 80033 – (303) 456-6866
State Farm Insurance – 7754 W 38th Ave – Wheat Ridge, CO 80033 – (303) 422-3429
To view a complete directory of Wheat Ridge captive agents, visit this site.
Picking a car insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just a cheap price. Here are some questions to ask:
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
- Do they assist clients in filing claims?
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
Upon receiving good answers for all questions you ask and a low price estimate, most likely you have located an insurance agent that will insure your vehicles.
It’s not one size fits all
When buying coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a “perfect” insurance plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs so your insurance should reflect that For example, these questions might point out whether you may require specific advice.
- Do I qualify for additional discounts?
- How high should my medical payments coverage be?
- How can I get high-risk coverage after a DUI?
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
- Do I have coverage if my license is suspended?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- Does my medical payments coverage pay my health insurance deductible?
If you can’t answer these questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area. It’s fast, free and you can get the answers you need.
More information is located on the website for the Colorado DORA Division of Insurance found here. Colorado drivers can report car insurance fraud, get help finding coverage, discover disciplinary actions, and view a list of available companies.
Keep this in mind
In this article, we presented quite a bit of information on how to get a better price on car insurance. It’s most important to understand that the more times you quote, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. You may even find the most savings is with an unexpected company. These companies often have lower prices on specific markets as compared to the big name companies such as State Farm or Progressive.
As you prepare to switch companies, make sure you don’t skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are a lot of situations where drivers have reduced full coverage only to discover later that the savings was not a smart move. Your aim should be to get the best coverage possible at the best price while still protecting your assets.