Did budget coverage turn out to be high-priced car insurance? Believe me, there are many Valley drivers thinking the same thing. Companies like State Farm, Progressive and Geico increase brand awareness with fancy advertisements and it is difficult to ignore the flying pigs and cute green geckos and do the work needed to find the best deal.
It’s a great practice to price shop coverage before your policy renews since insurance prices go up and down regularly. Despite the fact that you may have had the best deal a few years ago the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. There is a lot of bad information regarding car insurance online but in just a couple of minutes you can learn a bunch of ideas how to lower your car insurance bill.
If you currently have car insurance, you will most likely be able to reduce your rates substantially using this strategy. Choosing the best insurance company for you in Valley is not rocket science. But Nebraska drivers do need to understand the methods companies use to sell insurance online because it can help you find the best coverage.
The quickest method we recommend to compare car insurance company rates is to realize most larger insurance companies participate in a system to quote your coverage. All you need to do is give them some information such as if a SR-22 is required, any included safety features, what your job is, and level of coverage desired. Your details is automatically sent to many different companies and they return rate quotes within a short period of time.
To compare multiple company rates now, click here and find out if lower rates are available.
Ads can be misleading
Companies like State Farm, Geico and Progressive seem to constantly run ads on TV and radio. They all seem to seem to make the promise about savings if you just switch your car insurance policy to them. How does every company charge lower premium rates? Just pay attention to how they say it.
Companies have strict underwriting profiles for the driver that earns them a profit. A good example of a profitable insured should be between 30 and 50, has a clear driving record, and has great credit. A propective insured that fits those parameters will qualify for the lowest prices in Valley as well as save quite a bit of money when switching.
People who do not fit the “perfect” profile will be quoted higher prices which results in the customer buying from a different company. If you pay close attention to the ads, they say “people who switch” not “everyone that quotes” save that much money. That’s the way insurance companies can confidently advertise the way they do.
Because of the profiling, drivers should get as many as possible. It is just not possible to predict which insurance companies will have the best rates.
Informed consumers can save money
Lots of factors are part of the equation when quoting car insurance. Some are obvious such as traffic violations, but some are less obvious like where you live or how safe your car is.
Shown below are some of the major factors car insurance companies consider when setting your premiums.
- Your gender affects rates – Statistics show women tend to be less risk to insure than men. Now that doesn’t mean women are better drivers. Men and women get in accidents at about the same rate, but the men cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. They also receive more costly citations such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving recklessly. Males from age 16 to 21 are most likely to cause an accident and thus pay the highest rates.
- Car insurance liability insurance limits – Your policy’s liability coverage will provide protection if you are ruled to be at fault for physical damage or personal injury to other. It will provide you with a defense in court which can be incredibly expensive. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to physical damage coverage, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Higher rates for stressful employers – Did you know that where you work can have an impact on rates? Careers such as military generals, executives and miners tend to pay higher rates than average in part from stressful work requirements and long work hours. On the other hand, jobs like professors, athletes and retirees pay lower than average rates.
- Keep the miles off and save – The more you drive your car each year the higher your rates will be. Almost all companies calculate rates based upon how you use the vehicle. Autos not used for work or commuting receive better premium rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. It’s always a good idea to double check that your car insurance policy is showing the correct driver usage.
- Low comp and collision deductibles can be expensive – The deductibles you choose state the amount of money you are willing to pay out-of-pocket in the event of a claim. Insurance for physical damage, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, insures against damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered are colliding with a stationary object, hail damage, and damage from wind. The more expense you’re willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- Save money by having high credit – Having a bad credit score can be a huge factor in calculating your premium rate. If your credit leaves room for improvement, you may save money insuring your vehicle by taking the time to improve your credit score. Consumers who have very high credit ratings tend to file fewer claims as compared to drivers with lower credit scores.
These discounts can lower your car insurance rates
Car insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but there could be significant discounts to help offset the cost. A few discounts will be applied when you get a quote, but once in a while a discount must be asked for before you get the savings.
- Telematics Data – Insureds who allow their company to look at driving manner through the use of a telematics system such as Progressive’s Snapshot and State Farm’s In-Drive could possibly reduce rates if they have good driving habits.
- Defensive Driver – Completing a driver safety course is a good idea and can lower rates and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Safety Restraint Discount – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) off the medical payments premium.
- Distant Student Discount – Older children who are enrolled in higher education away from home and do not have access to a covered vehicle may be able to be covered for less.
- Save with a New Car – Buying a new car instead of a used car is cheaper since newer models have better safety ratings.
- Braking Control Discount – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control are much safer to drive and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Low Mileage – Fewer annual miles could earn lower rates due to less chance of an accident.
- Accident-Free Discounts – Drivers who don’t have accidents pay less in comparison with policyholders that have many claims.
Drivers should understand that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. So even though you would think you can get free auto insurance, you aren’t that lucky.
Car insurance companies that may offer some of the discounts shown above are:
When getting , it’s a good idea to every insurance company how many discounts you can get. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not apply to policies in Valley. If you would like to view insurers that offer some of these discounts in Valley, click here.
Which is the best car insurance?
When it comes to buying the best car insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a “perfect” insurance plan. Each situation is unique so your insurance needs to address that. For example, these questions may help highlight if you might need professional guidance.
- What companies insure drivers after a DUI or DWI?
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in Nebraska?
- Does my medical payments coverage pay my health insurance deductible?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
- Do all my vehicles need collision coverage?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area.
Auto insurance agents are trained to help
A lot of people just want to talk to a local agent and often times that is recommended One of the great benefits of getting online price quotes is you can get cheap rate quotes and still have an agent to talk to. And supporting local insurance agents is important particularly in Valley.
Upon completion of this short form, your information is emailed to companies in Valley who will gladly provide quotes for your car insurance coverage. It’s much easier because you don’t need to leave your house because quoted prices will be sent to your email. Get lower rates AND a local agent. If you wish to compare rates for a specific company, just search and find their rate quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
The type of auto insurance agent you choose is important
If you want to buy car insurance from a reliable agent, there are a couple of types of agencies and how they work. Agencies in Valley are categorized either captive or independent.
Independent Car Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be independent do not sell for just one brand so they can quote policies through many companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If prices rise, they simply move your policy to a different company and you stay with the same agent. When comparison shopping, you will want to include rate quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to maximize your price options.
Below are Valley independent agencies that can possibly get you comparison quotes.
Kent Insurance – 303 N Spruce St – Valley, NE 68064 – (402) 359-2752
Captive Car Insurance Agencies
Agents of this type normally can only provide a single company’s rates and some examples include State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. Captive agents are unable to shop your coverage around so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Captive agencies are very knowledgeable on their company’s products which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Picking the best auto insurance agent requires more thought than just a cheap quote. The following questions are important to ask.
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
- Is the agency covered by Errors and Omissions coverage?
- What kind of financial rating does the company have?
After you get positive responses for all questions you ask in addition to an acceptable price estimate, chances are good that you have found a car insurance agent that meets the criteria to properly service your car insurance policy.
Better coverage you can count on
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s very important that you do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. In many cases, drivers have reduced physical damage coverage only to regret they didn’t have enough coverage. Your focus should be to find the BEST coverage at the best cost.
Cheaper car insurance can be found online as well as from independent agents in Valley, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best selection. There are still a few companies who do not offer the ability to get quotes online and these smaller companies only sell through independent agencies.
Much more information about car insurance in Nebraska is available on the Nebraska Department of Insurance website through this link. Nebraska drivers can read enforcement actions against agents and companies, find a variety of consumer forms, get help finding coverage, and file complaints about a company.
The following articles may also be useful.