Sick and tired of robbing Peter to pay Paul to pay your car insurance bill each month? Your situation is no different than many other Tennessee consumers. Companies like Progressive, State Farm and GEICO constantly blast consumers with ads and it is difficult to ignore the flying pigs and cute green geckos and do the work needed to find the best deal.
It’s a good habit to price shop coverage every six months due to the fact that insurance rates are usually higher with each renewal. If you had the lowest rates a year ago other companies may now be cheaper. So just forget all the misinformation about car insurance because you’re going to learn the things you must know in order to reduce your cost while increasing coverage.
If you have insurance now or are looking for a new policy, you can follow these tips to reduce the price you pay and still get good coverage. Finding the best rates in La Vergne is easy if you know what you’re doing. Tennessee drivers only need an understanding of the best way to compare rates online.
How much can you save with discounts?
Auto insurance companies don’t always advertise every available discount in a way that’s easy to find, so we break down both well-publicized as well as the least known car insurance savings. If you aren’t receiving every discount available, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Use Seat Belts – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use a seat belt can save up to 15% off your medical payments premium.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Low mileage vehicles could be rewarded with discounted rates on garaged vehicles.
- Sign Early and Save – Select companies give a discount for buying a policy prior to your current policy expiration. It can save you around 10%.
- Auto/Life Discount – Larger companies have lower rates if you buy life insurance from them.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control can avoid accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking a course in driver safety could possibly earn you a 5% discount depending on where you live.
- Auto/Home Discount – When you combine your home and auto insurance with one company you could get a discount of up to 20% off your total premium.
Keep in mind that most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. So when it seems like you could get a free car insurance policy, car insurance companies aren’t that generous.
To choose companies with discount car insurance rates in Tennessee, click here.
Why some people pay less for insurance in La Vergne
It’s important that you understand the rating factors that play a part in calculating your car insurance rates. Knowing what influences your rates helps enable you to make changes that could result in big savings.
Shown below are a partial list of the pieces that factor into premiums.
- Marriage pays dividends – Having a spouse helps lower the price on your policy. It means you’re more mature than a single person and it’s proven that married couples file fewer claims.
- Don’t cancel a policy without a new one in place – Letting your insurance expire will be a quick way to increase your car insurance rates. Not only will you pay more, but being ticketed for driving with no insurance may earn you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.
- Bump up deductibles to save – Physical damage deductibles define the amount you are required to spend in the event of a claim. Insurance for physical damage to your car, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, covers damage that occurs to your car. A few examples of covered claims are running into the backend of another car, damage caused by hail, and rolling your vehicle. The more expense you have to pay, the less your car insurance will be.
- Theft deterrents lower rates – Driving a car with a theft deterrent system can help lower your rates. Theft prevention features such as GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all hinder car theft.
- Careful drivers pay lower rates – Your driving record impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Even a single speeding ticket can boost insurance rates forty percent or more. Careful drivers receive lower rates compared to drivers with tickets. Drivers who get flagrant violations such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may be required to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with the DMV in their state in order to keep their license.
How much car insurance do I need?
When choosing proper insurance coverage, there really is no “perfect” insurance plan. Everyone’s needs are different and your policy should reflect that. Here are some questions about coverages that may help you determine if your situation might need professional guidance.
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
- I have good health insurance, so how much medical payments coverage do I need?
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
- Am I covered if I crash into my own garage door?
- Am I covered when driving a rental car?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- Should I have combined single limit or split liability limits?
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in Tennessee?
- What are Tennessee no-fault laws?
If you can’t answer these questions then you might want to talk to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and you can get the answers you need.
Additional resources for Tennessee consumers
Additional detailed information is available at the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance website. Visitors are able to read consumer alerts, get help finding coverage, find a variety of consumer forms, and file complaints about an insurance agent or broker.
Best coverage at the best price
We covered many ways to save on car insurance. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get rates for, the better likelihood of reducing your rate. You may even discover the best price on car insurance is with a lesser-known regional company. Some small companies may cover specific market segments cheaper as compared to the big name companies such as Progressive or GEICO.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, do not sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are many occasions where drivers have reduced liability coverage limits and found out when filing a claim that they should have had better coverage. Your aim should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest price while not skimping on critical coverages.