Finding cheaper Lancaster auto insurance can be challenging for drivers who have little experience online comparison shopping. With a ridiculous number of insurers to choose from, it can turn into a burden to find more affordable auto insurance rates.
Get lower rates by receiving discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don’t necessarily list all disounts in an easy-to-find place, so the following is a list of a few of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits available to lower your premiums when you .
- Payment Method – If paying your policy premium upfront rather than paying monthly you can avoid the installment charge.
- Anti-theft System – Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems help deter theft and will qualify for a discount on a .
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking time to complete a course teaching defensive driver skills could earn you a small percentage discount depending on where you live.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems could see savings of more than 20%.
- Accident-Free Discounts – Lancaster drivers who stay claim-free are rewarded with significantly better rates on when compared with drivers who are more careless.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – When you combine your auto and home insurance and insure them with the same company you will save at least 10% off all policies.
- Buy New and Save – Buying a new car instead of a used car is cheaper because new vehicles keep occupants safer.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to fasten their seat belts can save 10% or more on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Professional Memberships – Belonging to qualifying employment or professional organizations may earn a discount on your next auto insurance statement.
- Lancaster Homeowners Discount – Owning your own home or condo can earn you a little savings because of the fact that having a home requires personal responsibility.
A little disclaimer on discounts, most discount credits are not given the the whole policy. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Despite the fact that it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous. But all discounts will definitely reduce the amount you have to pay.
Large auto insurance companies and their offered discounts can be read below.
- Progressive offers discounts including multi-vehicle, good student, online signing, continuous coverage, online quote discount, homeowner, and multi-policy.
- MetLife offers premium reductions for claim-free, good driver, good student, defensive driver, and accident-free.
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts for professional/association, annual mileage, location of vehicle, ease of repair, good student, type of vehicle, and accident-free.
- Nationwide may have discounts that include Farm Bureau membership, easy pay, good student, multi-policy, and family plan.
- Geico has savings for seat belt use, multi-vehicle, good student, multi-policy, air bags, and military active duty.
- AAA policyholders can earn discounts including pay-in-full, education and occupation, good student, good driver, multi-car, anti-theft, and multi-policy.
When quoting, ask all the companies what discounts are available to you. Some discounts listed above might not be offered in every state.
How your Lancaster costs are determined
One of the most helpful ways to save on auto insurance is to to have a grasp of some of the things that aid in calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. When you know what positively or negatively determines premiums, this enables you to make decisions that can help you get big savings. Many things are used when you get your auto insurance bill. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving history, but other criteria are not quite as obvious such as whether you are married or your commute time.
- Safer vehicles save money – Safe vehicles cost less to insure. Safe vehicles reduce injuries and fewer serious injuries translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims passed on to you as lower rates.
- Theft deterrents save – Choosing to buy a car with a theft deterrent system can help lower your premiums. Theft deterrent systems such as vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack all help stop vehicle theft.
- Filing insurance claims can cost more – Companies in South Carolina give discounts to people who are claim-free. If you frequently file small claims, you can definitely plan on either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Your insurance policy is designed for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Your employer is a factor – Did you know your career choice can influence rates? Careers like judges, business owners and accountants are shown to have higher rates than the rest of us in part from high stress levels and long work hours. On the other hand, jobs such as farmers, engineers and homemakers have the lowest average rates.
- Drive less and pay lower prices – Driving a lot of miles in a year the higher the price you pay to insure it. Most insurance companies rate vehicles based on how the vehicle is used. Cars that do not get driven very much cost less to insure as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. It’s always a good idea to double check that your auto insurance coverage correctly shows how each vehicle is driven.
- What are your coverage deductibles? – Physical damage protection, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, protects your car from damage. Examples of covered claims could be collision with another vehicle, damage from fire, and burglary. Physical damage deductibles define how much you are required to pay if a claim is determined to be covered. The more expense you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the lower your rates will be.
- Use credit responsibly and save – Having a bad credit rating will be a significant factor in determining premium rates. Insureds with very good credit scores tend to be less risk to insure than drivers with lower credit scores. If your credit history is low, you could potentially save money when insuring your vehicle by taking the time to improve your credit score.
- Multiple policies with one company – Most companies provide lower prices to policyholders who have multiple policies with them such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. The amount of the discounts can be as much as ten percent or more Even if you’re getting this discount it’s always a smart idea to compare rates to ensure the best deal.There is a chance you can find lower rates even if you have your coverage with different companies
You may need specialized auto insurance coverage
When buying proper insurance coverage, there isn’t really a one size fits all plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
Here are some questions about coverages that could help you determine whether or not you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
- Is there coverage for injuries to my pets?
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in South Carolina?
- What if I don’t agree with a claim settlement offer?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- What happens if I owe more than my vehicle is worth?
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in South Carolina?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-87.jpg" alt="lower rates in Lancaster South Carolina” />
Compare prices but still have a local Lancaster insurance agent
A small number of people would rather go talk to an agent and that is OK! A nice benefit of comparing insurance prices online is that you can find cheap auto insurance quotes but still work with a licensed agent. Buying from and supporting local agencies is important particularly in Lancaster.
By using this form (opens in new window), your information is emailed to agents in your area who want to provide quotes for your auto insurance coverage. You don’t have to leave your computer because quoted prices will be sent immediately to you. You’ll get the best rates and a licensed agent to talk to. If you need to get a comparison quote from a specific company, you just need to search and find their rate quote page and fill out their quote form.
What types of auto insurance agents are in Lancaster?
When researching a local agent, there are a couple of different types of agencies and how they function. Auto insurance policy providers may be either captive agents or independent agents.
Independent Auto Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
These agents are not employed by one company and that gives them the ability to insure with an assortment of companies and get the cheapest rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, the agent simply finds a different carrier which makes it simple for you. When searching for an agent, you definitely need to get several quotes from several independent agencies for maximum quote selection. Most independent agents also contract with smaller mutual companies which may have better rates.
Below is a small list of independent insurance agents in Lancaster who can help you get free price quotes.
- Enterprise Insurance Svc – 1133 Highway 9 Byp W # C – Lancaster, SC 29720 – (803) 285-2277
- Fischer Agency Of Lancaster – 1117 Highway 9 Byp E # H – Lancaster, SC 29720 – (803) 285-5522
- Alpine Agency – 125 S Main St – Lancaster, SC 29720 – (803) 289-6523
- David Angel Agency – 317 W Meeting St – Lancaster, SC 29720 – (803) 285-4491
- Benson Insurance – 2419 Pineview Dr – Lancaster, SC 29720 – (803) 283-1808
Captive Insurance Agencies
These type of agents can usually just insure with one company such as State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. Captive agents cannot compare rates from other companies so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Captive agencies are usually quite knowledgeable on sales techniques which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Some insured continue to buy from the same agent for years primarily because of the brand legacy rather than low rates.
Below is a short list of captive insurance agencies in Lancaster willing to provide price quote information.
- State Farm Insurance – 306 N Main St – Lancaster, SC 29720 – (803) 283-3371
- Allstate Insurance – 396 Lancaster Byp E – Lancaster, SC 29720 – (803) 313-3103
- Farm Bureau Insurance – 1763 Pageland Hwy – Lancaster, SC 29720 – (803) 283-9908
To locate agents near you, visit this list of insurance agents in Lancaster, SC.
Picking the best auto insurance agent should include more criteria than just the bottom line cost. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
To learn more about auto insurance in South Carolina
Additional auto insurance information is available on the South Carolina Department of Insurance website through this link. South Carolina consumers can learn about insurance regulations, view a list of available companies, file complaints about a company, and read consumer alerts.
More related Lancaster auto insurance information:
- Best 8 Tricks to Save on Auto Insurance in Lancaster, PA
- Paying Too Much for Auto Insurance in Lancaster? Heres How to Save!
- Shop For Lancaster, CA Car Insurance for Less Money With These Proven Techniques
Don’t give up on cheaper rates
We just covered a lot of ways to save on auto insurance. The key concept to understand is the more providers you compare, the better your chances of lowering your car insurance rates. Consumers may even find the biggest savings come from a small local company.
People who switch companies do it for any number of reasons including policy cancellation, policy non-renewal, not issuing a premium refund and unfair underwriting practices. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch choosing a new company is not as difficult as it may seem.
When trying to cut insurance costs, never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are many occasions where an accident victim reduced full coverage and learned later that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The ultimate goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest price, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.