Are you sick and tired of paying out the nose to buy car insurance? You are in the same boat as many other drivers in Delaware.
Popular companies such as Geico, Progressive and Allstate continually bombard you with fancy advertisements and it can be hard to ignore the flying pigs and cute green geckos and find the best price available.
Compare Car Insurance Today
There are several ways to compare rate quotes from local in Laurel, DEcar insurance companies. The easiest way to find the lowest rates is to perform an online rate comparison. This can be done in several different ways.
The easiest and least time consuming way to compare a lot of rates at once is to use a rate comparison form click here to open form in new window. This method eliminates the need for separate forms to each individual car insurance company. A single form will return quotes direct from many companies.
A different way to analyze rates is spending the time to visit each company website and fill out their own quote form. For example, we’ll assume you want rates from Nationwide, State Farm and Farmers. To get rate quotes you would need to visit each site to input your insurance information, which is why the first method is quicker.
For a list of links to companies insuring cars in Laurel, click here.
Whichever way you use, ensure you are comparing apples-to-apples deductibles and coverage limits for each price quote. If you enter differing limits it will be impossible to find the best deal in Laurel. Having just a slight variation in coverage limits could mean much higher rates. And when quoting car insurance, remember that getting more free quotes will enable you to find a lower rate.
Discounts are basically free money
Companies offering auto insurance don’t always list all their discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so here is a list some of the best known and the harder-to-find discounts you could be receiving.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles prevent accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Safe Drivers – Insureds without accidents may save up to 50% more than their less cautious counterparts.
- Multi-policy Discount – When you combine your home and auto insurance with one insurance company you could get a discount of at least 10% off all policies.
- Payment Discounts – If you pay your bill all at once rather than paying monthly you can actually save on your bill.
- Defensive Driver – Completing a driver safety course can save you 5% or more if you qualify.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts could save 15% off the personal injury premium cost.
Drivers should understand that most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. So despite the fact that it appears all the discounts add up to a free policy, you won’t be that lucky.
Lower your Laurel Car Insurance Rates
An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the elements that come into play when calculating the rates you pay for car insurance. Knowing what controls the rates you pay empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with better car insurance rates.
- Do you know your deductibles? – The deductibles represent how much money you are willing to pay before your car insurance pays a claim. Physical damage coverage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, covers damage that occurs to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered are colliding with a building, collision with an animal, and rolling your vehicle. The more money the insured has to pay upfront, the lower your rates will be.
- Your car insurance rates can be influenced by your job – Occupations like real estate brokers, social workers and stock brokers have the highest rates in part from job stress and lengthy work days. On the other hand, jobs such as actors, students and the unemployed get better rates.
- Small claims can cost you – If you are a frequent claim filer, you can definitely plan on either higher rates or even cancellation. Insurance companies in Delaware generally give better rates to insureds who do not file claims often. Car insurance is intended for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Men pay higher rates – Statistics have proven that women are safer drivers than men. However, don’t assume that men are WORSE drivers than women. They both have accidents in similar percentages, but the males cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. They also get cited for more serious violations such as reckless driving.
- Don’t sacrifice liability coverage – The liability section of your policy is the coverage that protects you if ever you are found liable for damages from an accident. Liability provides for a legal defense starting from day one. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so buy as much as you can afford.
More detailed Delaware car insurance information can be found at the Delaware Department of Insurance website. Visitors are able to learn about insurance regulations, read industry bulletins, find out industry alerts, and view a list of available companies.
The articles below may also help you learn more about car insurance in Laurel
- Easy Methods to Spend Less on Laurel Maryland Auto Insurance
- 5 Must-Know Tricks When Comparing Laurel Auto Insurance
Is there truth in advertising?
Car insurance companies such as Progressive, Geico, Allstate and State Farm regularly use ads on TV and radio. They all seem to say the same thing about savings if you move your policy. How does each company claim to save you money? This is how they do it.
Different companies have a preferred profile for the type of driver they prefer to insure. An example of a profitable customer might be between the ages of 30 and 50, a clean driving record, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. A propective insured that hits that “sweet spot” will get very good rates and most likely will pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Drivers who do not match these standards will have to pay a more expensive rate which usually ends up with the customer not buying. The ad wording is “customers that switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save that much money. That’s the way companies can advertise the savings. Because of the profiling, you should get quotes from several different companies. You cannot predict which car insurance company will give you the biggest savings.
Cheaper insurance is a realistic goal
As you restructure your insurance plan, never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many instances, drivers have reduced physical damage coverage and found out when filing a claim that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The aim is to buy enough coverage for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.
In this article, we covered a lot of tips how to shop for car insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more times you quote, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. You may even find the biggest savings come from a lesser-known regional company. These companies may cover specific market segments cheaper than the large multi-state companies such as Progressive or Geico.
Cheaper car insurance is possible both online and also from your neighborhood Laurel agents, so compare prices from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. A few companies may not provide online quoting and many times these smaller companies only sell through independent insurance agents.