Nobody I know likes paying for auto insurance, in particular when they are paying too much. With so many choices, it is hard for the average consumer to choose the lowest price provider.
It’s important to price shop coverage at least once a year because rates change frequently. Even if you think you had the best price on your last policy other companies may now be cheaper. Ignore everything you know about auto insurance because you’re about to learn how to quote online to save money, get proper deductibles and limits, all at the lowest rate.
How to Get Auto Insurance in Fremont
Getting a cheaper price on insurance isn’t really that difficult. All that’s required is to take time comparing rate quotes online from several insurance companies. This is very easy and can be done in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
The first (and easiest) way to get quotes is an all-inclusive rate comparison like this one (opens in new window). This method keeps you from doing boring form submissions for every auto insurance company. One simple form gets rate comparisons .
A harder way to compare prices requires you to visit the website for each individual company to complete a price quote. For sake of this example, we’ll assume you want to compare rates from Nationwide, Liberty Mutual and GEICO. You would have to take the time to go to each site to input your insurance information, and that’s why the first method is more popular.
To view a list of companies in Fremont, click here.
The hardest way to get comparison rates is to drive around to and from local Fremont insurance agencies. The ability to buy insurance online can eliminate the need for a local agent unless you want the trained guidance of a licensed agent. You can, however, price shop online and get advice from an agent in your area. We’ll cover that shortly.
Whichever way you use, compare exactly the same coverages and limits for every company. If the quotes have mixed coverages it will be impossible to determine which company has the cheapest car insurance in CA.
These discounts can slash auto insurance rates
Auto insurance companies do not advertise all their discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we break down some of the more common and also the lesser-known auto insurance savings. If they aren’t giving you every credit available, you are paying more than you should be.
- Student in College – Children who attend school more than 100 miles from home and do not have access to a covered vehicle can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Driver Safety – Taking a driver safety course can save you 5% or more if your company offers it.
- Own a Home – Owning a home in Fremont may trigger a auto insurance policy discount because owning a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts could cut 10% or more off the personal injury premium cost.
- Life Insurance Discount – Larger companies have lower rates if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
- New Car Discount – Buying coverage on a new vehicle can be considerably cheaper since new cars are generally safer.
It’s important to understand that some of the credits will not apply the the whole policy. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though it may seem like you can get free auto insurance, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
To choose companies with the best auto insurance discounts in California, click here to view.
What if I want to buy from a local Fremont agent?
Some consumers just want to get advice from a local agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Licensed agents can point out coverage gaps and help submit paperwork. One of the great benefits of getting online price quotes is you may find the lowest rates and still choose a local agent.
Once you complete this quick form, your coverage information is immediately sent to agents in your area who will compete for your business. There is no reason to drive around since price quotes are sent straight to your inbox. How’s that for easy!
Selecting an provider shouldn’t rely on just the price. Here are some questions to ask:
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- How many years of experience in personal lines insurance coverages do they have?
Two types of Fremont car insurance agents
When researching a local agent, there are two types of agencies that you can select. Fremont agents can either be captive or independent (non-captive). Either one can insure your vehicles, but it’s good to learn the differences because it can influence the selection process.
Captive insurance agents have only one company to place business with and examples are American Family, State Farm and Allstate. They usually cannot give you multiple price quotes so it’s a take it or leave it situation. They are very knowledgeable in insurance sales and that can be a competitive advantage.
Listed below is a short list of captive agents in Fremont willing to provide price quote information.
State Farm Insurance – 38750 Paseo Padre Pkwy # A-3 – Fremont, CA 94536 – (510) 791-8611
Allstate Insurance – 44946 Osgood Rd – Fremont, CA 94539 – (510) 490-8400
Farmers Insurance Group – 38263 Fremont Blvd – Fremont, CA 94536 – (510) 790-0373
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agents are not locked into one company so they have the ability to put coverage with any number of different companies and potentially find a lower price. If you are not satisfied with one company, the business is moved internally and you won’t have to switch agencies.
When shopping rates, it’s a good idea to include price quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to have the most options to choose from.
The following is a short list of independent insurance agents in Fremont willing to provide price quotes.
David Hudock Insurance – 2140 Peralta Blvd # 102 – Fremont, CA 94536 – (510) 795-1830
Amy Huang Agency – 4510 Peralta Blvd # 5 – Fremont, CA 94536 – (510) 713-8086
Suzan Pheley Agency – 46850 Warm Springs Blvd – Fremont, CA 94539 – (510) 490-8400
Mark Bromley Insurance – 2188 Peralta Blvd # A – Fremont, CA 94536 – (510) 791-6911
Sonny Hubbard Agency – 3833 Peralta Blvd # C – Fremont, CA 94536 – (510) 792-9040
For a full directory of auto insurance agents in Fremont, go to this page.
Upon getting satisfactory answers in addition to an acceptable price estimate, chances are good that you have found a car insurance agent that meets your needs to provide auto insurance coverage.
Learn How to Buy Auto Insurance Cheaper
It’s important that you understand the rating factors that come into play when calculating the rates you pay for auto insurance. Having a good understanding of what impacts premium levels allows you to make educated decisions that can help you get big savings.
- Cautious drivers pay less – Your driving record impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Good drivers tend to pay less for car insurance than bad drivers. Even one ticket can increase rates by twenty percent. Drivers who get serious violations like DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions may be required to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with their state motor vehicle department in order to continue driving.
- Your auto insurance rates can be influenced by your job – Occupations such as lawyers, social workers and dentists have the highest average rates because of job stress and long work hours. Other occupations such as pilots, historians and the unemployed get better rates.
- How your age affects price – Teen drivers in California tend to be careless and easily distracted when driving so they pay higher auto insurance rates. Having to add a young driver to your auto insurance policy can really hurt. More mature drivers are more cautious drivers, tend to cause fewer accidents and tend to be better behind the wheel.
- Little extras can really add up – There are a lot of extra bells and whistles that you can get tricked into buying on your policy. Things like vanishing deductibles, accidental death and membership fees are some examples. These may sound like a good investment at first, but your needs may have changed so remove them from your policy.
- How credit affects auto insurance rates – Your credit score is a big factor in determining your rates. If your credit is lower than you’d like, you could be paying less to insure your by improving your rating. Consumers who have good credit tend to be less risk to insure than drivers who have poor credit.
Keep this in mind
As you prepare to switch companies, do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are too many instances where drivers have reduced collision coverage to discover at claim time that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your aim should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at a price you can afford while not skimping on critical coverages.
We’ve covered some good ideas how to compare auto insurance prices online. The key concept to understand is the more price quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. Drivers may discover the best price on auto insurance is with some of the lesser-known companies. They can often provide lower rates in certain areas compared to the large companies like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
More California auto insurance information
More tips and info about auto insurance can be found at the California Department of Insurance website. Visitors are able to find disaster information, report car insurance fraud, view a list of available companies, and learn about insurance regulations.
These articles may also be worth reading.