No one likes having to buy auto insurance, in particular when they are paying too much. You have so many insurers to purchase coverage from, and though it is a good thing to have a choice, too many choices makes it more difficult to find the best rates.
This information will instruct you on how car insurance quotes work. If you currently have a car insurance policy, you should be able to lower your premiums substantially using this strategy. Nebraska consumers just need to learn the best way to compare rates online.
Free Quotes for Auto Insurance in Scottsbluff, NE
There are a lot of ways to compare auto insurance quotes, and some are more efficient than others. You could spend your day driving to insurance companies in Scottsbluff, or you could use the web to maximize your effort.
Most major companies take part in a program that allows shoppers to enter their policy data once, and each participating company can give them a price based on that data. This saves time by eliminating quote forms to each individual auto insurance company.
To get comparison pricing now click to open in new window.
The only downside to using this type of form is that you can’t choose the providers you want pricing from. If you would rather choose individual companies to compare prices, we have a listing of low cost auto insurance companies in Nebraska. Click here to view list.
It’s your choice how you get your quotes, but double check that you are using identical deductibles and coverage limits with every price quote. If the quotes have different deductibles then you won’t be able to truly determine the lowest rate in Scottsbluff.
Misconceptions in auto insurance advertisements
Nebraska drivers can’t ignore all the ads for cheaper car insurance by companies like Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm. All the companies say the same thing that you can save if you switch to them.
But how can every company say the same thing? It’s all in the numbers.
All the different companies have a certain “appetite” for the driver that makes them money. A good example of a preferred risk might be profiled as over the age of 40, has no tickets, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. A customer getting a price quote who meets those qualifications is entitled to the best price and most likely will pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Drivers who are not a match for this ideal profile will be quoted a more expensive rate and this can result in business not being written. The ads state “drivers who switch” not “people who quote” save money. That’s the way insurance companies can claim big savings.
This emphasizes why drivers must get as many comparisons as possible. Because you never know which company will provide you with the cheapest rates.
Tips to Get Lower Scottsbluff Rates
Consumers need to have an understanding of the factors that play a part in calculating auto insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to better auto insurance rates.
Shown below are some of the items companies use to determine prices.
- Safe vehicles cost less to insure – Cars with high safety ratings tend to have better insurance rates. Safer cars result in less severe injuries and any reduction in injury severity translates into savings for insurance companies passed on to you as lower rates.
- Having a spouse can save you money – Getting married can actually save you money on auto insurance. Marriage usually means you are more mature and responsible it has been statistically shown that being married results in fewer claims.
- Better credit means lower rates – Credit score is a huge factor in calculating your auto insurance rates. If your credit rating is lower than you’d like, you could potentially save money when insuring your by improving your rating. Drivers with high credit ratings tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers who have poor credit.
- Add-on coverages can add up – There are quite a few additional coverages that can waste your money on your auto insurance policy. Things like rental car reimbursement, accident forgiveness and membership fees are examples of these. They may seem good when you first buy your policy, but your needs may have changed so remove them from your policy.
- A lapse in coverage is a bad thing – Allowing your auto insurance policy to lapse will be a quick way to pay more for auto insurance. And not only will your rates increase, getting caught without coverage might get you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.You may have to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the Nebraska department of motor vehicles.
Cut your premium with discounts
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but companies offer discounts that you may not know about. Most are applied when you complete an application, but lesser-known reductions have to be asked about prior to getting the savings. If they aren’t giving you every credit you deserve, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being on active duty in the military could mean lower rates.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Buying insurance for multiple cars or trucks on one policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Anti-theft System – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are stolen less frequently and will save you 10% or more.
- Accident Forgiveness – Certain companies permit an accident before hitting you with a surcharge if your claims history is clear for a certain period of time.
- Multi-policy Discount – If you have multiple policies with one insurance company you may save approximately 10% to 15%.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can avoid accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Discount for New Cars – Insuring a new car can cost up to 25% less due to better safety requirements for new cars.
- Senior Discount – If you’re over the age of 55, you may qualify for a small decrease in premiums.
- Employee of Federal Government – Active or retired federal employment can save as much as 8% with a few auto insurance companies.
It’s important to understand that some credits don’t apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. So when the math indicates all those discounts means the company will pay you, it doesn’t quite work that way. But all discounts will help reduce the cost of coverage.
For a list of companies with the best auto insurance discounts in Nebraska, click this link.
Your coverage should be tailored to you
When it comes to choosing the best auto insurance coverage, there is no perfect coverage plan. Every situation is different and your policy should reflect that. Here are some questions about coverages that might help in determining if you may require specific advice.
- Do I need medical payments coverage since I have good health insurance?
- What are Nebraska no-fault laws?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
- When would I need rental car insurance?
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It’s fast, free and can help protect your family.
But I prefer to buy car insurance from an agent
Some consumers would prefer to talk to a local agent and that is OK! Agents can help determine the best coverages and help in the event of a claim. One of the great benefits of getting online price quotes is you can get lower rates but still work with a licensed agent. Buying from local agencies is important especially in Scottsbluff.
By using this form (opens in new window), the quote information is sent to local insurance agents who will compete for your insurance coverage. There is no need to even leave your home since price quotes are sent straight to your inbox. Now that’s easy!
If you wish to select a specific agent in Scottsbluff, simply jump to this page.
Selecting an provider shouldn’t rely on just a low price. Any agent should be forthright in answering these questions:
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
After getting satisfactory answers to these questions and locked in a price quote, you may have just found an provider that can properly insure your vehicles.
Do the work, save more money
You just read a lot of tips how to shop for auto insurance online. The key thing to remember is the more providers you compare, the better your comparison will be. You may be surprised to find that the most savings is with a smaller regional carrier. Smaller companies can often provide lower rates in certain areas than their larger competitors like State Farm or Progressive.
When buying insurance coverage, you should never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In too many instances, drivers have reduced liability limits or collision coverage only to regret they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your goal should be to buy enough coverage at an affordable rate while still protecting your assets.
Additional information is available on the website for the Nebraska Department of Insurance found here. Nebraska consumers can read consumer alerts, learn about specific coverages, find out industry alerts, and read enforcement actions against agents and companies.