Feel like you have high-priced auto insurance? You’re preaching to the choir because you’re not the only one. Big-name insurance companies like State Farm and GEICO continually hit you with ad campaigns and it can be hard to ignore the promise of big savings and find the best price available.
You should make it a habit to quote other rates quite often because insurance prices go up and down regularly. Just because you found the lowest rates last year you will most likely find a better premium rate today. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about auto insurance because you’re about to find out how to use the internet to buy cheaper auto insurance.
If you have a policy now or are just looking to switch companies, you can use these techniques to reduce the price you pay and still get good coverage. Finding the best rates in Dekalb is quite easy. Illinois consumers only need an understanding of the tricks to compare price quotes online.
You have control over your auto insurance premiums
Many factors are part of the equation when quoting car insurance. Most are fairly basic such as your driving record, but some are not as apparent like your continuous coverage or your financial responsibility.
The items below are some of the most common factors used by your company to calculate prices.
- Urban areas may pay more – Having an address in less populated areas has it’s advantages when it comes to auto insurance. People who live in big cities have more traffic problems and more severe claims. Lower population means fewer accidents in addition to fewer liability claims.
- Accidents drive up rates – Having a single speeding ticket or other violation can increase rates substantially. Drivers who don’t get tickets receive lower rates compared to bad drivers. Drivers who have received serious tickets such as DUI or reckless driving may find that they have to to complete a SR-22 with their state’s licensing department in order to legally drive.
- Performance influences prices – The performance of the vehicle you need insurance for makes a substantial difference in your auto insurance rates. Low performance passenger models usually have the lowest rates, but your final cost has many other factors.
- Cheaper to insure females? – Over time, data shows females are less aggressive when driving. However, don’t assume that men are WORSE drivers than women. Males and females cause auto accidents in similar percentages, but the male of the species tend to have higher claims. They also get higher numbers of serious violations such as DWI and reckless driving. Teenage male drivers cause the most accidents and thus pay the highest rates.
- Does your employer cost you more? – Did you know your auto insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Jobs like military generals, social workers and emergency personnel generally have the highest rates attributed to intense work-related stress and extremely grueling work hours. On the flip side, careers like farmers, historians and homemakers get better rates.
- How do annual miles impact rates? – Driving more miles in a year the higher the price you pay to insure it. A lot of insurance companies charge to insure your cars based upon how much you drive. Cars that are left in the garage can be on a lower rate level than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Double check that your auto insurance policy states the proper vehicle usage.
- Married drivers get better premiums – Being married can get you a discount when shopping for auto insurance. Having a spouse means you’re more responsible and statistics prove being married results in fewer claims.
Do you qualify for discounts?
Auto insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but discounts can save money and there are some available that you may not even know about. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you purchase, but a few must be specifically requested in order for you to get them.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them enroll and complete driver’s education as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
- New Vehicle Savings – Buying insurance coverage on a new vehicle can be considerably cheaper because newer models are generally safer.
- Include Life Insurance and Save – Some insurance carriers give a discount if you purchase a life policy as well.
- Accident-Free Discounts – Dekalb drivers who stay claim-free get the best auto insurance rates as compared to frequent claim filers.
- Good Drivers – Insureds who avoid accidents can save as much as half off their rates than their less cautious counterparts.
- ABS Brakes – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control are much safer to drive and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Active or former government employment may reduce rates when you with some auto insurance companies.
- Low Miles Discount – Low annual miles could qualify for substantially lower premium rates.
- Payment Method – If paying your policy premium upfront as opposed to paying monthly you can actually save on your bill.
You can save money using discounts, but most credits do not apply to the entire cost. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So when the math indicates all the discounts add up to a free policy, you won’t be that lucky. Any amount of discount should help reduce your policy premium.
Auto insurance companies that may offer quotes with many of the previously listed discounts are:
Before buying, ask each company or agent which discounts you may be entitled to. All car insurance discounts might not be available to policyholders in your area.
Don’t assume everyone needs the same auto insurance coverage
When it comes to choosing adequate coverage, there is no perfect coverage plan. Everyone’s needs are different so your insurance needs to address that. For instance, these questions can help discover whether or not you will benefit from professional help.
- What companies insure drivers after a DUI or DWI?
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my vehicle is totaled?
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
- What are the financial responsibility laws in Illinois?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- Does my insurance cover damage caused when ticketed for reckless driving?
- Do I need PIP coverage since I have good health insurance?
- Is pleasure use cheaper than using my vehicle to commute?
- What is the difference between comprehensive and collision coverage?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It only takes a few minutes and may give you better protection.
Even more information can be found at the Illinois Department of Insurance website. Illinois consumers can find out which companies have the most complaints, find a variety of consumer forms, and read enforcement actions against agents and companies.
The cheapest auto insurance can be found online and with local Dekalb insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some companies may not provide internet price quotes and most of the time these smaller companies sell through independent agencies.
We just covered some good ideas how you can compare auto insurance premium rates online. The key concept to understand is the more providers you compare, the higher the chance of saving money. You may be surprised to find that the lowest priced auto insurance comes from some of the lesser-known companies. They may have significantly lower prices on certain market segments than their larger competitors like Progressive or GEICO.
When buying insurance coverage, never skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are too many instances where someone dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret that they should have had better coverage. Your focus should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the lowest possible cost, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.