Perplexed by the wide range of car insurance choices in Newport? Lot’s of other consumers are too. Drivers have so many options that it can turn into a real hassle to find the perfect company for you.
It’s smart to do rate comparisons once or twice a year because rates are constantly changing. If you had the best rates a few years ago other companies may now be cheaper. So just forget all the misinformation about car insurance because it’s time to teach you the proper way to remove unneeded coverages and save money.
Why some people pay less for insurance in Newport
It’s important that you understand the factors that help determine your car insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what impacts premium levels enables informed choices that can help you get lower car insurance prices.
- Where you reside plays a part – Living in small towns and rural areas can save you money when insuring your vehicles. Lower population means a lower chance of having an accident. Urban drivers regularly have traffic congestion and a longer drive to work. Higher commute times translates into higher accident risk.
- Adjust deductibles and save – Coverage for physical damage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, protects your car from damage. Some examples of claims that would be covered are collision with another vehicle, damage from fire, and windstorm damage. Physical damage deductibles are the amount of money you are willing to pay out-of-pocket if you file a covered claim. The more expense the insured has to pay upfront, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Too many car insurance claims drive up costs – If you are a frequent claim filer, you can expect either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Auto insurance companies in Kentucky generally give lower rates to people who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Auto insurance is intended for the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- Your job and insurance rates – Careers like lawyers, social workers and stock brokers are shown to have the highest rates due to high stress and lots of time spent at work. On the other hand, jobs such as scientists, students and the unemployed pay the least.
- The type of vehicle makes a difference – The make and model of the car you are insuring makes a huge difference in determining your rates. The lowest base rates tend to be for small economy passenger models, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- Careful drivers pay lower rates – Even one ticket can boost insurance rates twenty percent or more. Careful drivers have lower premiums than people who have multiple driving citations. If you have severe violations such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may find they need to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with the DMV in their state in order to drive a vehicle legally.
- Do you know you’re credit rating? – A driver’s credit history is a large factor in determining your rates. So if your credit rating is not that good, you could pay less to insure your by repairing your credit. Drivers with excellent credit tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than those with lower credit scores.
- Save money with special equipment – Purchasing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can save you a little every year. Theft prevention devices like GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all aid in stopping auto theft.
Take discounts and save
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but there are discounts available that you may not know about. Some trigger automatically when you complete an application, but some may not be applied and must be specifically requested prior to getting the savings. If they aren’t giving you every credit available, you are throwing money away.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts can save 10% or more off your medical payments premium.
- Discount for New Cars – Insuring a new car can save up to 30% since new cars are generally safer.
- Braking Control Discount – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control prevent accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Insureds without accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than their less cautious counterparts.
- Defensive Driving Course – Completing a driver safety course can save you 5% or more and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Discount for Good Grades – Performing well in school can save 20 to 25%. This discount can apply until age 25.
- Military Discounts – Being on active duty in the military could be rewarded with lower premiums.
- Multiple Cars – Buying coverage for all your vehicles on one policy qualifies for this discount.
Keep in mind that most credits do not apply to the entire cost. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. Even though it may seem like adding up those discounts means a free policy, car insurance companies aren’t that generous. But any discount will reduce the amount you have to pay.
For a list of insurers offering car insurance discounts in Newport, click this link.
But buying car insurance online seems impersonal
Some people would prefer to buy from a local agent. Insurance agents can point out coverage gaps and give you someone to call. The biggest benefit of price shopping on the web is that you can obtain lower rates but also keep your business local. Buying from small agencies is especially important in Newport.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, your insurance data is sent to insurance agents in Newport who will return price quotes for your coverage. You don’t have to visit any agencies since price quotes are sent directly to your email. It doesn’t get any easier!
If you prefer to view a list of agents in Newport to contact, view this link.
Choosing an insurance company should depend on more than just a cheap price. These are valid questions to ask:
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in Kentucky?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- How long has their agency been open in Newport?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
Upon receiving good answers to any questions you have and an acceptable price quote, you’ve probably found an insurer that is a good match to provide car insurance coverage.
Switch companies and save? Really?
Consumers in Kentucky constantly see and hear ads that promise big savings by Progressive, Allstate and GEICO. They all seem to say the same thing of big savings if you change to their company.
How does each company claim to save you money? It’s all in the numbers.
Insurance companies can use profiling for the type of driver they prefer to insure. For instance, a preferred risk could be between the ages of 40 and 55, is a homeowner, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. Any new insured who meets those qualifications is entitled to the best price and as a result will probably save when switching.
Drivers who don’t meet the requirements will be charged higher prices and this can result in business going elsewhere. Company advertisements say “customers who switch” not “everyone that quotes” save that much. That’s the way companies can truthfully advertise the savings.
That is why you absolutely need to get as many comparisons as possible. You cannot predict which insurance companies will have the lowest rates.
More information about car insurance
Additional car insurance information is available on the Kentucky Department of Insurance website through this link. Consumers can get help finding coverage, view agent and company licensing information, and read industry bulletins.
The articles below may also help you learn more about car insurance in Newport
- Is Your Newport Car Insurance Costing Too Much?
- Learn How to Pay Less for Newport News Virginia Car Insurance
Better coverage you can count on
Affordable car insurance can be bought online and also from your neighborhood Newport agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to get a complete price analysis. Some car insurance companies may not provide online quoting and most of the time these smaller companies sell through independent agents.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, make sure you don’t sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There have been many cases where consumers will sacrifice liability limits or collision coverage and discovered at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your strategy should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at a price you can afford while not skimping on critical coverages.
We’ve covered a lot of tips how to shop for car insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. You may be surprised to find that the lowest premiums are with a lesser-known regional company.