Feel like you’re a prisoner to high-priced auto insurance? Believe me, there are many people just like you. With consumers having so many options, it can be impossible to find the most affordable insurance company.
It’s a good idea to get comparison quotes quite often since rates go up and down regularly. Even if you got the best price a few years ago you may be paying too much now. Ignore everything you know about auto insurance because you’re about to find out one of the quickest ways to get good coverage at a lower rate.
Shopping for more affordable auto insurance in Aberdeen can be fairly easy. If you have insurance now or are shopping for new coverage, you can learn to reduce the price you pay while maximizing coverage. Maryland consumers only need to know the proper methods to shop for auto insurance online.
What impacts Aberdeen insurance rates?
An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the elements that play a part in calculating your auto insurance rates. Knowing what impacts premium levels empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with big savings.
- Better credit means lower rates – A driver’s credit rating is a important factor in your rate calculation. Drivers with good credit tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers with poor credit. Therefore, if your credit can use some improvement, you could pay less to insure your by improving your credit score.
- Your auto insurance rates can be influenced by your job – Did you know your auto insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Jobs such as real estate brokers, architects and accountants tend to pay higher rates than average attributed to stressful work requirements and long work hours. On the flip side, occupations such as actors, athletes and homemakers have the lowest average rates.
- Safer cars are cheaper to insure – Cars with high safety ratings tend to have better insurance rates. Safer cars have better occupant injury protection and lower injury rates means lower claim amounts and more competitive rates for policyholders.
- Sex matters – Statistics show women are more cautious behind the wheel. That doesn’t necessarily mean that women are BETTER drivers than men. Both sexes cause accidents at about the same rate, but the males cause more damage. They also have more aggressive citations such as reckless driving. Teenage male drivers are several times more likely to be in an accident and are penalized with high auto insurance rates.
- Poor driving leads to higher costs – Just one moving violation may increase your cost forty percent or more. Drivers with clean records receive lower rates than people who have multiple driving citations. Drivers who have severe citations like hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may need to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state DMV in order to drive a vehicle legally.
- Do you need those extra coverages? – There are a ton of extra bells and whistles you can purchase on your auto insurance policy. Insurance for personal injury protection, better glass coverage and additional equipment coverage are some examples. These may sound like a good investment at first, but now you might not need them so eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
Quick Aberdeen Auto Insurance Quotes
Comparing auto insurance rates can be challenging if you aren’t aware of the best way to get rate quotes. You can waste hours talking about coverages with local insurance agents in Aberdeen, or you could use online quotes to get rates in a matter of minutes.
The majority of car insurance companies enroll in a system that enables customers to enter their coverage request one time, and each participating company can give them a price based on the submitted data. This system prevents you from having to do quote requests to each company. To compare rates now click here to open in new window.
One minor caviat to using this type of system is buyers cannot specifically choose which insurance companies you want to price. So if you want to select individual companies for rate comparison, we have assembled a list of companies who write auto insurance in Maryland. Click here for list of insurance companies in Maryland.
Whichever method you choose, double check that you are using identical coverage limits and deductibles for every company. If you are comparing different deductibles it will be very difficult to decipher which rate is best in Aberdeen.
Discounts are great for lower rates
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but companies offer discounts to reduce the price significantly. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you complete an application, but some may not be applied and must be specially asked for prior to receiving the credit. If they aren’t giving you every credit you qualify for, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Fewer annual miles can qualify you for discounted rates on garaged vehicles.
- Defensive Driving Course – Completing a driver safety course can save you 5% or more if you qualify.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If paying your policy premium upfront instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save 5% or more.
- Organization Discounts – Participating in a civic or occupational organization is a good way to get lower rates on your policy.
- No Claims – Drivers with accident-free driving histories pay less compared to bad drivers.
- Anti-theft Discount – Vehicles with anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Air Bag Discount – Vehicles with factory air bags or motorized seat belts can qualify for discounts of more than 20%.
- Employee of Federal Government – Simply working for the federal government can save as much as 8% with certain companies.
- Homeowners Discount – Being a homeowner may earn you a small savings because maintaining a house is proof that your finances are in order.
Keep in mind that some of the credits will not apply the the whole policy. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. So when the math indicates all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies wouldn’t make money that way. Any amount of discount will help reduce your premiums.
To choose insurers who offer auto insurance discounts in Maryland, click here.
Don’t I need to talk to an agent?
Some consumers just want to visit with an insurance agent and that is OK! Insurance agents can point out coverage gaps and help in the event of a claim. The biggest benefit of comparing rates online is the fact that you can find the lowest rates and still have an agent to talk to. Buying from small agencies is important particularly in Aberdeen.
Once you complete this short form, the quote information is sent to agents in your area who will return price quotes for your insurance coverage. You don’t have to leave your house due to the fact that quote results will go to your email. It doesn’t get any easier!
The different types of insurance agents
When finding a local agent, you need to know there are two types of insurance agents from which to choose. Aberdeen agents can either be independent (non-captive) or captive. Either one can do a good job, but it’s good to learn the difference between them because it can impact the type of agent you choose
These agents are not locked into one company so they can insure your vehicles with any number of different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. To move your coverage to a new company, an independent agent can move your coverage and that require little work on your part. When comparison shopping, it’s a good idea to include price quotes from multiple independent agents to have the most options to choose from.
Listed below is a list of independent insurance agents in Aberdeen who can help you get competitive price quotes.
Mc Cool Insurance Inc – 33 N Philadelphia Blvd – Aberdeen, MD 21001 – (410) 272-1313
Sadera Insurance – 100 Custis St # 1 – Aberdeen, MD 21001 – (410) 272-5111
Hostetter Agency Inc – 206 W Bel Air Ave – Aberdeen, MD 21001 – (410) 272-6110
Wilson-Oliver Agency Inc – 301 W Bel Air Ave – Aberdeen, MD 21001 – (410) 272-2030
These agents write business for a single company like AAA, Allstate and State Farm. These agents are unable to place coverage with different providers so keep that in mind. They are well schooled in insurance sales which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Listed below are captive agencies in Aberdeen that can give you comparison quotes.
State Farm Insurance – 645 W Bel Air Ave – Aberdeen, MD 21001 – (410) 272-4797
To view a full list of captive agents in Aberdeen, view this link.
Deciding on an insurance agency should depend on more than just the price. These are valid questions to ask:
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
Upon getting answers to your satisfaction to any questions you have as well as a affordable price, it’s possible that you found an auto insurance agent that can insure your vehicles.
How much car insurance do I need?
When it comes to choosing coverage, there isn’t really a single plan that fits everyone. Everyone’s situation is unique so this has to be addressed. Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight if your insurance needs might need an agent’s assistance.
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Do I qualify for additional discounts?
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- How many claims can I have before being cancelled?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and may give you better protection.
More information is available on the website for the Maryland Insurance Administration. Click here for link. Consumers can find out which companies have the most complaints, discover disciplinary actions, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, and file complaints about a company.
The following articles may also be useful.
Quote often and quote early
We just covered a lot of ways to lower your auto insurance rates. The key concept to understand is the more companies you get rates for, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may even find the best price on auto insurance is with a smaller regional carrier. Some small companies can often provide lower rates in certain areas as compared to the big name companies such as State Farm or Progressive.
Lower-priced auto insurance is attainable from both online companies and with local Aberdeen insurance agents, and you need to price shop both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some auto insurance companies do not offer online price quotes and usually these small insurance companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s not a good idea to skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are too many instances where an insured dropped collision coverage only to regret that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The ultimate goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at a price you can afford, not the least amount of coverage.