Are you at wits end from scraping nickels together to buy car insurance? You have the same problem as most other consumers in Oklahoma. Popular companies such as Allstate, Liberty Mutual and State Farm increase brand awareness with ads and it can be hard to sift through the bull and take the time to shop coverage around.
It’s important to get comparison quotes as often as possible since insurance rates change quite often. If you had the best premium rates at your last renewal you may be paying too much now. Forget all the misinformation about car insurance because it’s time to teach you the right way to save on car insurance.
Get lower rates with discounts
Some companies don’t always advertise the complete list of policy discounts very clearly, so the next list breaks down a few of the more common and the more hidden ways to save on car insurance.
- Responsible Driver Discount – Drivers who avoid accidents could pay up to 40% less than drivers with accident claims.
- Employee of Federal Government – Active or former government employment could qualify for a slight premium decrease with a few car insurance companies.
- Good Student – Maintaining excellent grades could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. Many companies even apply the discount to college students up until you turn 25.
- Professional Memberships – Participating in certain professional organizations could earn you a nice discount on your next renewal.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Drivers who require all occupants to use their safety belts could save 15% off the medical payments premium.
- Senior Citizen Discount – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you could receive a small discount on rates.
A little note about advertised discounts, some credits don’t apply to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. So when the math indicates it’s possible to get free car insurance, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
Some companies that may include these money-saving discounts include:
Check with all companies you are considering which discounts can lower your rates. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply to policies in your area.
When shopping for , there are a couple of ways of comparing rates from many different Oklahoma insurance companies. The fastest way to find affordable insurance rates involves getting comparison quotes online. It is quite easy and can be accomplished in several different ways.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-83.jpg" alt="Anadarko insurance quotes” />
- One of the fastest ways to get quotes is to use a rate comparison form click here to open form in new window. This type of form saves time by eliminating separate quotes for each company you want a rate for. One simple form gets you coverage quotes instantly.
- Another way to find lower rates requires a visit to each individual company website and get a separate price quote. For example, we’ll pretend you need rates from Auto-Owners, State Farm and Progressive. In order to compare rates, you need to take the time to go to each site and enter your policy data, which can be really labor intensive.
For a list of companies in Anadarko, click here.
Which method you use is up to you, but double check that you are using the exact same information for each quote you get. If you have differing limits you will not be able to get a fair rate comparison in Anadarko. Slightly different insurance coverages or limits can result in a big premium difference. And when comparing car insurance rates, know that making a lot of price comparisons helps locate a better price. Some smaller insurers to not give quotes online, so you also need to get quotes from the smaller companies as well.
Four decisions that affect insurance costs
Multiple criteria are part of the calculation when pricing auto insurance. Some factors are common sense such as traffic violations, but other criteria are not quite as obvious such as your credit history or how safe your car is.
- More performance means more cost – The type of vehicle you are trying to find cheaper insurance for makes a substantial difference in the rate you pay. The cheapest rates are usually found on smaller low performance passenger cars, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- Drive less and pay lower prices – The more miles you rack up on your car every year the higher your rates will be. The majority of insurers rate vehicles partially by how you use the vehicle. Cars used primarily for pleasure use qualify for better rates compared to those used for work or business. It’s a good idea to make sure your car insurance declarations sheet states annual mileage.
- Do you know your coverage deductibles? – The deductibles define how much you are willing to pay if you file a covered claim. Insurance for physical damage, aka comp and collision, covers damage that occurs to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply are rearending another vehicle, vandalism, or theft of your vehicle. The more expense you have to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- Why do you need liability coverage? – A critical coverage on your policy, liability insurance kicks in if ever you are determined to be liable for personal injury or accident damage. Your policy’s liability insurance provides legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. Liability insurance is pretty cheap when compared to the cost of physical damage coverage, so drivers should buy more than the minimum limits required by law.
What is the best car insurance coverage?
When it comes to buying coverage, there isn’t really a best way to insure your cars. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s so this has to be addressed. Here are some questions about coverages that might point out whether or not you will benefit from professional help.
- What are the best liability limits?
- How can I get high-risk coverage after a DUI?
- When should I remove comp and collision on my vehicle?
- What if I don’t agree with a claim settlement offer?
- How high should my medical payments coverage be?
- If my vehicle is totaled, can I afford another vehicle?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with an agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area.
Save 15 percent in 15 minutes? Is it for real?
Car insurance companies such as Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm seem to constantly run television, radio, and online ads. All the ads advertise the message about how much you will save just by switching your coverage to them. How is it possible that every company can give you a lower rate? Here is the trick they use.
Car insurance companies are able to cherry pick for the type of driver that is profitable for them. A good example of this type of driver should be married and over the age of 30, carries high limits, and drives a lower-performance vehicle. Any driver who matches those parameters will probably get cheap auto insurance rates and will most likely save when switching.
Insureds who do not match those standards may receive higher prices which leads to the customer not buying. The wording the ads use say “people that switch” not “everyone that quotes” save money. That’s why companies can make claims that they all have the best rates. That is why you really need to compare as many as you can. You cannot predict which company will fit you best based on your risk profile.
More effort can pay off
A few companies may not provide rates over the internet smaller companies prefer to sell through local independent agents. Low-cost car insurance can be purchased both online in addition to local insurance agencies, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from.
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s a bad idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. In too many instances, someone dropped liability coverage limits only to regret that the savings was not a smart move. Your goal is to purchase plenty of coverage at an affordable rate, not the least amount of coverage.
More tips and info about car insurance is located at the Oklahoma Insurance Department website. Oklahoma drivers can download brochures, read state legal mandates and laws, discover disciplinary actions, and learn about insurance regulations.