If online auto insurance comparisons are new to you, it’s easy to get confused due to the large number of online auto insurance companies and websites offering coverage in Hastings.
It’s a great practice to shop coverage around at least once a year due to the fact that insurance rates fluctuate regularly. Despite the fact that you may have had the best rates two years ago the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about auto insurance because we’re going to demonstrate one of the easiest ways to properly buy coverages while reducing your premium.
Choosing the best insurance company for you in Hastings is quite easy. Basically, anyone who buys auto insurance will be able to lower their premiums. Although Nebraska consumers can benefit by having an understanding of the way insurance companies price insurance differently and use this information to your advantage.
Learn How to Lower your Rates
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that go into determining your auto insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what determines base rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that could result in big savings.
- Lower rates with optional equipment – Owning a car with a theft deterrent system can save you a little every year. Theft prevention features like LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system can help prevent car theft.
- Where you live – Being located in small towns and rural areas has it’s advantages when buying auto insurance. Drivers in populated areas tend to have congested traffic and longer commutes to work. Lower population means a lower chance of having an accident.
- Never let your coverage lapse – Not having insurance is against the law and as a result your rates will increase for letting your coverage have a gap. Not only will rates go up, getting caught without coverage will get you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.You may need to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Nebraska department of motor vehicles.
- Discounts for married couples – Having a spouse actually saves money on your auto insurance policy. Having a spouse translates into being more mature and responsible it has been statistically shown that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Credit scores impact auto insurance rates – A driver’s credit score is a big factor in determining your rates. So if your credit score is lower than you’d like, you could potentially save money when insuring your by improving your credit score. Drivers with good credit tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers who have poor credit.
- Women pay lower rates – Statistics show that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. However, this does not mean men are WORSE drivers than women. Both sexes tend to get into accidents at a similar rate, but the males have costlier accidents. They also have more aggressive citations such as reckless driving. Teenage male drivers are most likely to cause an accident and therefore are the most expensive to insure.
Don’t overlook these discounts
Auto insurance companies don’t always list every discount very well, so we researched some of the best known as well as the least known auto insurance savings.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – By paying your policy upfront instead of monthly or quarterly installments you may reduce your total bill.
- Resident Student – Kids in college who live away from home without a vehicle on campus may be able to be covered for less.
- Claim Free – Claim-free drivers can save substantially compared to accident-prone drivers.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles are safer to drive and will save you 10% or more.
- Paperwork-free – Some insurance companies will give a small break for buying your policy digitally online.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Driving fewer miles could qualify for discounted rates on garaged vehicles.
- No Charge for an Accident – A few companies will allow you to have one accident before raising your premiums if your claims history is clear for a certain period of time.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Insureds without accidents may receive a discount up to 45% less than less cautious drivers.
Drivers should understand that many deductions do not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. So even though they make it sound like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies don’t profit that way.
To choose insurers who offer auto insurance discounts in Hastings, follow this link.
But don’t I need an insurance agent?
Once you complete this simple form, your insurance coverage information gets sent to agents in your area who will compete for your insurance coverage. You never need to leave your house due to the fact that quote results will go to the email address you provide. How’s that for easy! You can find better rates and work with a local agent.
Selecting an insurer needs to be determined by more than just the price. Any agent should have no problem answering these questions:<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px;" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-8.jpg" alt="Hastings Nebraska auto insurance“/>
- If they are an independent agency, which companies do they recommend?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- Do they assist clients in filing claims?
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
- If your car is totalled, how to they determine the replacement cost?
Compare rates from both independent and captive insurance agents
When searching for local Hastings agents, you must know there are a couple types of insurance agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Hastings agents are either independent (non-captive) or captive.
Captive agents are contracted to one company like State Farm, AAA and Liberty Mutual. They are unable to give you multiple price quotes so always compare other rates. Captive agencies are usually quite knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques and that can be a competitive advantage. Consumers sometimes choose to use a captive agent mainly due to the prominence of the brand and solid financial strength.
Shown below are Hastings captive agents who can help you get rate quotes.
- Allstate Insurance Co – 2727 W 2nd St # 223 – Hastings, NE 68901 – (402) 463-3636
- Farm Bureau Insurance – 1902 W 2nd St – Hastings, NE 68901 – (402) 462-2920
- Farmers Insurance Group – 813 W 3rd St – Hastings, NE 68901 – (402) 461-3280
- American Family Insurance – 300 S Burlington Ave – Hastings, NE 68901 – (402) 461-6010
- Shelter Insurance – 725 W 2nd St – Hastings, NE 68901 – (402) 463-3003
- State Farm Insurance – 410 N Minnesota Ave – Hastings, NE 68901 – (402) 463-5408
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents do not work for one specific company but rather can write business with any number of different companies depending on which coverage is best. If your agent finds better pricing, your agent can switch companies and you won’t have to switch agencies. When searching for an agent, it’s recommended you include price quotes from at a minimum one independent agency for the best price selection. They often place coverage with lesser-known insurance companies who may have lower rates.
Shown below is a list of independent agents in Hastings who can help you get price quote information.
- Absolute Crop Insurance – 1239 N Burlington Ave # 103 – Hastings, NE 68901 – (402) 462-5252
- Gerald Pete Mackie Insurance – 2501 W 2nd St – Hastings, NE 68901 – (402) 463-1993
- Stuehrenberg Agency Inc – 533 W 2nd St – Hastings, NE 68901 – (402) 462-4301
- Jeff O’Donnell Agency – 2727 W 2nd St # 101 – Hastings, NE 68901 – (402) 463-2722
- Krull Agency Inc – 2837 W Highway 6 # 207 – Hastings, NE 68901 – (402) 463-1881
For a full directory of licensed insurance agents in Hastings, visit this site.
Upon receiving answers to your satisfaction and a good coverage price, you’ve probably found a car insurance agent that will insure your vehicles.
When might I need help?
When buying adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a “perfect” insurance plan. Everyone’s needs are different.
For example, these questions might help in determining whether you could use an agent’s help.
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- Is my cargo covered for damage or theft?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- Does my policy pay for OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Should I file a claim if it’s only slightly more than my deductible?
- When should I drop full coverage on my vehicle?
- What is the minimum liability in Nebraska?
- How high should my uninsured/underinsured coverage be in Nebraska?
If you can’t answer these questions but a few of them apply then you might want to talk to an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form.
Even more information is located at the Nebraska Department of Insurance website. Nebraska consumers can read state legal mandates and laws, report car insurance fraud, view agent and company licensing information, and discover disciplinary actions.
The best insurance company isn’t always the cheapest
We just covered a lot of ways to save on auto insurance. The key concept to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even find the biggest savings come from a smaller regional carrier.
As you shop your coverage around, make sure you don’t skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are a lot of situations where drivers have reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to discover later they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your aim should be to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford, not the least amount of coverage.
Drivers change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as extreme rates for teen drivers, an unsatisfactory settlement offer, policy cancellation and not issuing a premium refund. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch switching auto insurance companies is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.