Are you at wits end from robbing Peter to pay Paul to pay car insurance each month? You are no different than the majority of other people in Indiana. Due to the large number of car insurance companies to choose from, it can be challenging to pick the most cost effective company.
Finding the best rates in Vincennes is not that difficult. If you are insured now or are shopping for new coverage, you will benefit by learning to shop for the lowest rates while maintaining coverages. Indiana drivers just need to know the best way to compare company rates online.
Informed drivers save more
Lots of things are used in the calculation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some are pretty understandable like your driving record, but others are less obvious like your continuous coverage or your vehicle rating. It’s important that you understand a few of the rating criteria that aid in calculating your car insurance rates. If you understand what determines base rates, this enables you to make decisions that may reward you with lower car insurance prices.
- High comp and collision deductibles save money – Insurance for physical damage to your car, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, covers damage that occurs to your car. A few examples of covered claims are a windshield shattered by a rock, vandalism, and burglary. Comp and collision deductibles define the amount you are required to spend out-of-pocket in the event of a claim. The more expense you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the lower your rates will be.
- Tickets and citations cost more than a fine – Your driving citation history has a big impact on rates. Attentive drivers receive lower rates as compared to those with violations. Just one chargable violation could increase your next policy renewal by as much as thirty percent. Drivers unfortunate enough to have severe violations such as hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may be required to complete a SR-22 with the DMV in their state in order to legally drive a vehicle.
- File car insurance claims and pay more – If you are the type of insured that files lots of claims you can definitely plan on much higher rates or policy non-renewal. Insurance companies in Indiana award better rates to policyholders who are claim-free. Insurance coverage is intended for claims that you cannot pay yourself.
- Stress out and pay more – Careers like fire fightersairline pilots and stock brokers generally have the highest average rates due to intense work requirements and extremely grueling work hours. On the flip side, careers like professors, students and the unemployed get better rates.
- The higher your credit rating the lower your rates – Having a bad credit score can be a huge factor in calculating your premium rate. If your credit score is low, you could be paying less to insure your vehicle by taking the time to improve your credit score. People that have excellent credit scores tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims than drivers who have lower credit scores.
- How many coverages with the same company – The majority of companies give better rates to insureds who carry more than one policy. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you’re getting this discount drivers will still want to get quotes from other companies to help guarantee you have the best rates. You may still be able to save more without the discount by buying insurance from more than one company.
- Gender matters – Statistics demonstrate that women are safer drivers than men. It does not mean males are worse at driving than females. Men and women tend to get into at-fault accidents at about the same rate, but the males tend to have higher claims. Men also tend to receive more costly citations like reckless driving and DUI. Male drivers age 16 to 19 are most likely to cause an accident and therefore are the most expensive to insure.
Discounts to earn lower Vincennes car insurance rates
Some companies don’t always advertise every discount they offer very well, so the next list breaks down both the well known and also the lesser-known credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Defensive Driver – Passing a course that instructs on driving safety can save you 5% or more depending on where you live.
- Theft Prevention System – Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles prevent vehicle theft and earn discounts up to 10% off your .
- New Vehicle Savings – Insuring a new car can get you a discount because newer models have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Multi-line Discount – If the company offers life insurance, you could get better rates if you take out some life insurance too.
- Safe Driver Discount – Insureds without accidents can save up to 40% or more on their than their less cautious counterparts.
As a sidenote, most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. So even though they make it sound like it’s possible to get free car insurance, it doesn’t quite work that way. But all discounts will definitely lower the amount you pay for coverage.
A list of companies and some of the discounts are included below.
- State Farm may offer discounts for Drive Safe & Save, driver’s education, multiple autos, passive restraint, and anti-theft.
- GEICO offers discounts including seat belt use, five-year accident-free, multi-policy, anti-theft, military active duty, daytime running lights, and defensive driver.
- SAFECO discounts include teen safety rewards, anti-lock brakes, multi-car, accident prevention training, drive less, and anti-theft.
- Farmers Insurance may have discounts that include switch companies, distant student, alternative fuel, good student, and mature driver.
- AAA offers discounts for education and occupation, pay-in-full, good student, AAA membership discount, and multi-car.
- USAA includes discounts for new vehicle, loyalty savings, defensive driver, multi-vehicle, and annual mileage.
Before buying, ask each company or agent the best way to save money. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not apply in your state. To find companies who offer free car insurance quotes in Indiana, click this link.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-1.jpg" alt="Indiana car insurance prices” />
Slick advertising tricks that work
Consumers can’t avoid all the ads that claim the best rates from companies such as 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm. All the ads make an identical promise about how much you will save if you just switch your car insurance policy to them.
How does each company claim to save you money? It’s all in the numbers.
Most companies require specific criteria for the type of driver that earns them the most money. A good example of a driver they prefer may be over the age of 50, carries high limits, and has a high credit rating. Anybody who matches that profile will qualify for the lowest premium rates in Vincennes and will also save when they switch companies.
Potential customers who don’t qualify for these standards must pay more expensive rates which results in the customer not buying. If you listen closely, the ads state “customers that switch” but not “everyone who gets a quote” save the amount stated. That is how insurance companies can confidently advertise the way they do. This illustrates why it is so important to quotes from several different companies. It’s not possible to predict which company will have the best rates.
Tailor your car insurance coverage to you
When it comes to choosing adequate coverage, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s situation is unique and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply. For instance, these questions might point out if you might need an agent’s assistance.
- What if I don’t agree with a claim settlement offer?
- Should I file a claim if it’s only slightly more than my deductible?
- Do all my vehicles need collision coverage?
- What can I do if my company won’t pay a claim?
- Are there companies who specialize in insuring high-risk drivers?
- Is my cargo covered for damage or theft?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can help protect your family.
More Indiana car insurance information
Even more information can be found at the Indiana Department of Insurance website. Indiana consumers can read enforcement actions against agents and companies, read consumer alerts, and discover disciplinary actions.
Smart shoppers get results
As you restructure your insurance plan, you should never reduce coverage to reduce premium. Too many times, someone sacrificed full coverage only to find out they didn’t have enough coverage. Your goal should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at a price you can afford, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
You just read many ideas to shop for car insurance online. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the better chance you’ll have of finding . You may even find the lowest priced car insurance comes from a smaller regional carrier. They can often provide lower premium rates in certain areas compared to the large companies like Allstate or State Farm.