Did you fall for a flashy sales pitch and buy an underperforming, overpriced auto insurance policy? Believe me when I say you’re not alone. Many insurers compete to insure your vehicles, and it can be difficult to compare rates and get the definite lowest rate
If you have a policy now or are looking for a new policy, you can learn to reduce the price you pay and still get good coverage. Choosing the best insurance company for you in Waukee is easy if you know what you’re doing. Iowa drivers just need to learn the proper methods to compare prices on the web.
Free Quotes for Auto Insurance in Waukee
Finding a lower price on insurance is not rocket science. You just have to take a few minutes comparing rate quotes online from several insurance companies. This can be done in a couple of different ways.
- The most efficient way to get quotes is to use a rate comparison form click to view form in new window. This type of form saves time by eliminating repetitive form entry for each company. Completing one form compares rates from auto insurance companies with the best prices.
- A less efficient way to compare rate quotes is to take the time to go to the website for each individual company to request a price quote. For example, we’ll pretend you want to compare USAA, 21st Century and State Farm. To get rate quotes you would need to go to every website and enter your information, which is why the first method is quicker.
To view a list of companies in Waukee, click here.
Whichever method you choose, make darn sure you compare exactly the same coverage information for every company. If you have different liability limits you can’t possibly decipher which rate is best in Waukee.
How much can you save with discounts?
Car insurance companies don’t always publicize every discount very clearly, so here is a list some of the more common and the harder-to-find savings tricks you should be using. If you’re not getting every credit you deserve, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Homeowners Discount – Being a homeowner may trigger a auto insurance policy discount due to the fact that maintaining a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- E-sign – A handful of insurance companies give back up to $50 simply for signing online.
- No Accidents – Claim-free drivers pay much less as compared to drivers who are more careless.
- Defensive Driver – Taking a driver safety course can save you 5% or more if your company offers it.
- Seat Belt Usage – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts could save 15% off the personal injury premium cost.
Keep in mind that some credits don’t apply to all coverage premiums. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though it sounds like adding up those discounts means a free policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
Factors that affect insurance rates
It’s important that you understand the different types of things that play a part in calculating auto insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what determines base rates allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with better auto insurance rates.
Shown below are a few of the “ingredients” companies use to determine rates.
- Small claims can cost you – If you frequently file small claims, you can expect either higher rates or even cancellation. Car insurance companies in Iowa generally give better rates to drivers who are claim-free. Car insurance is meant to be used in the event of the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- High credit ratings translate to low rates – Having a bad credit score is a huge factor in determining your rates. Consumers who have excellent credit tend to be less risk to insure than drivers who have lower credit scores. If your credit is low, you could save money insuring your by repairing your credit.
- Older drivers pay less – Youthful drivers in Iowa are known to be careless and easily distracted behind the wheel so they pay higher auto insurance rates. Having to add a youthful driver to your policy can break the bank. Older drivers are more cautious drivers, tend to file fewer claims and are safer drivers.
- A clean driving record saves money – Careful drivers have lower premiums than people who have multiple driving citations. Only having one citation can boost insurance rates by as much as thirty percent. Drivers with severe tickets such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence are required to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) to the state department of motor vehicles in order to drive a vehicle legally.
Cheaper insurance is a realistic goal
We covered a lot of tips how to shop for auto insurance online. It’s most important to understand that the more providers you compare, the better your chances of lowering your rates. Consumers may even find the biggest savings come from a small mutual company. Some small companies can often provide lower rates in certain areas than their larger competitors like State Farm or Progressive.
Cheaper auto insurance can be bought both online in addition to many Waukee insurance agents, and you need to price shop both so you have a total pricing picture. Some auto insurance companies do not provide you the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these smaller companies sell through independent agents.
For more Iowa auto insurance information
More tips and info about auto insurance can be found at the Iowa Insurance Division website. Iowa drivers can find out which companies have the most complaints, view agent and company licensing information, and learn about specific coverages.
The following information may also be useful.