Did you fall for a flashy sales pitch and buy high-priced car insurance? Believe me, there are many people just like you. Since consumers have many choices of insurance companies, it’s nearly impossible to pick the cheapest provider.
Smart Consumers Save More
It’s important that you understand the different types of things that come into play when calculating the price you pay for car insurance. Having a good understanding of what influences your rates helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to much lower annual insurance costs.
The list below includes some of the factors that factor into prices.
- Teen drivers pay high rates – Mature drivers are viewed as being more responsible, file fewer claims and are safer drivers. Teen drivers have a tendency to be careless and easily distracted in a vehicle and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher.
- Frequent car insurance claims increase rates – Auto insurance companies in Maine give discounts to people who are claim-free. If you file claims often, you can definitely plan on either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Car insurance is designed for the large, substantial claims.
- Your car’s features help determine rates – Owning a car that has an advanced theft prevention system can save you a little every year. Anti-theft devices such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system can help prevent car theft.
- Where do you drive? – Driving more miles each year the higher your rates will be. Most companies apply a rate based on their usage. Autos used primarily for pleasure use get more affordable rates than those used for commuting. Double check that your car insurance coverage properly reflects the proper vehicle usage.
- Don’t get talked into coverage you don’t need – There are a ton of additional coverages you can purchase on your policy. Insurance for vanishing deductibles, better glass coverage and membership fees may be costing you every month. These may sound like a good investment initially, but your needs may have changed so eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Allowing your policy to lapse raises rates – Driving your car without having proper coverage can get your license suspended and car insurance companies will penalize you for letting your insurance expire. Not only will rates go up, failure to provide proof of insurance might get you a steep fine or even jail time.
Compare Quotes for Bangor Car Insurance
Most companies like Progressive, Geico, Allstate and State Farm quote coverage prices online. The process doesn’t take much effort as you just type in your coverage preferences into the quote form. After you submit the form the system sends out for reports for credit and driving violations and generates pricing information based on these and other factors. Being able to quote online simplifies rate comparisons, but the work required to visit multiple sites and type in the same information can get tiresome after awhile. But it’s absolutely necessary to compare as many rates as possible in order to find better prices.
An easier way to compare rates requires only one form that gets price quotes from many companies. It’s a real time-saver, requires much less work on your part, and makes price shopping online much easier. Immediately after you send the form, it gets priced and you can choose any or none of the resulting price quotes.
If the quotes result in lower rates, it’s easy to complete the application and buy the new coverage. This process can be completed in less than 10 minutes and you will know how your current rates stack up.
To find out if lower rates are available, click here to open in new window and complete the simple form. To compare your current rates, we recommend you copy identical to your current policy. This makes sure you will have rate quotes for exact coverage.
These discounts can slash car insurance rates
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but there are discounts available that can drop the cost substantially. Some trigger automatically when you purchase, but a few need to be asked about before you get the savings. If you’re not getting every credit possible, you’re just leaving money on the table.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px;" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-117.jpg" alt="Bangor Maine car insurance prices“/>
- Sign Online – Certain companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks just for signing your application on their website.
- 55 and Retired – Older drivers may receive a discount up to 10%.
- Clubs and Organizations – Participating in a professional or civic organization could trigger savings when buying car insurance.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Insuring multiple cars or trucks on the same car insurance policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If paying your policy premium upfront instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save up to 5%.
- No Charge for an Accident – Some insurance companies will allow you to have one accident before your rates go up if your claims history is clear for a set time period.
- Discount for Swiching Early – A few companies offer discounts for switching policies prior to your current policy expiration. The savings is around 10%.
- Use Seat Belts – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use their safety belts can save 10% or more on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Cars that have factory anti-theft systems can help prevent theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
A little note about advertised discounts, most credits do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most cut specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. So when the math indicates all the discounts add up to a free policy, it doesn’t quite work that way. Any qualifying discounts will reduce the amount you have to pay.
For a list of insurers offering car insurance discounts in Bangor, click here.
What happened to insurance agents?
A small number of people just want to visit with an insurance agent and that is OK! Licensed agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help file insurance claims. The biggest benefit of comparing rates online is you may find the lowest rates and still choose a local agent. Buying from local insurance agencies is definitely important in Bangor.
By using this short form, the quote information gets sent to participating agents in Bangor who will compete to get your business. You don’t have to leave your computer since price quotes are sent to your email. It doesn’t get any easier!
The following is a short list of insurance companies in Bangor willing to provide price quotes.
Robinson Insurance – 6 State St, Bangor, ME 04401 – (207) 942-3924
Liberty Mutual Insurance – 675 Hogan Rd, Bangor, ME 04401 – (207) 947-7326
David M Blakeman Agency – 9 7th St, Bangor, ME 04401 – (207) 942-0924
Prudential Insurance Co – 900 Hammond St # A, Bangor, ME 04401 – (207) 945-5605
State Farm Insurance – 319 Wilson St, Bangor, ME 04401 – (207) 989-1288
Allstate Insurance – 609 Hammond St, Bangor, ME 04401 – (207) 990-5008
Selecting an insurance company should depend on more than just the bottom line cost. Here are some questions to ask:
- How long has their agency been in business in Bangor?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- What insurance companies do they work with?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
Upon getting positive responses for all questions you ask and an acceptable price quote, it’s possible that you found an insurance company that will adequately provide car insurance.
Situations that might require an agent
When it comes to buying coverage, there isn’t really a single plan that fits everyone. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s so this has to be addressed. For instance, these questions can aid in determining if you may require specific advice.
- What is the difference between comprehensive and collision coverage?
- Who is covered when they drive my vehicle?
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
- Does my liability insurance cover pulling a trailer or camper?
- What are the best liability limits?
- When would I need rental car insurance?
- Does my policy pay for OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
If you’re not sure about those questions but a few of them apply then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can provide invaluable advice.
Additional car insurance information is located on the website for the Maine Bureau of Insurance found here. Maine consumers can view agent and company licensing information, learn about specific coverages, discover disciplinary actions, and get help finding coverage.
As you shop your coverage around, do not reduce needed coverages to save money. There have been many cases where an insured dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits only to find out that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your goal should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.
Throughout this article, we presented some good ideas how you can get a better price on car insurance. The most important thing to understand is the more price quotes you have, the better your comparison will be. Drivers may discover the lowest priced car insurance comes from some of the lesser-known companies. These companies often have lower prices on specific markets than their larger competitors like Allstate, Geico and Progressive.