Are you intimidated by the number of auto insurance options in Warrenton? You’re not alone. You have so many choices that it can easily become a real hassle to compare prices.
You should make it a habit to take a look at other company’s rates periodically since rates fluctuate regularly. Even if you got the best deal two years ago you will most likely find a better rate today. So just forget anything you know (or think you know) about auto insurance because we’re going to show you the fastest way to save money, get proper coverage and the best rates.
Discounts are basically free money
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, buy you may qualify for discounts to cut the cost considerably. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you purchase, but a few need to be requested specifically before you get the savings. If you don’t get every credit you deserve, you are paying more than you should be.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Low mileage vehicles could be rewarded with lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Drivers who don’t get into accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than drivers with accident claims.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Drivers who require all occupants to use a seat belt could cut 10% or more off your PIP or medical payments premium.
- Lower Rates for Military – Having a family member in the military can result in better rates.
- Auto/Home Discount – If you have multiple policies with one company you may earn up to 20% off your total premium.
- Student in College – Kids in college who attend school more than 100 miles from home without a vehicle on campus can receive lower rates.
- Braking Control Discount – Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems can reduce accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Cars that have air bags can qualify for discounts of more than 20%.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying insurance for more than one vehicle on the same auto insurance policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Student Driver Training – Have your child take driver’s ed class in school.
Consumers should know that most discount credits are not given the the whole policy. Most only cut individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. So when it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies wouldn’t make money that way. Any qualifying discounts will reduce the cost of coverage.
To see a list of insurers offering auto insurance discounts in Warrenton, click this link.
How to Compare Warrenton Auto Insurance Costs
Finding a better price on auto insurance isn’t really that difficult. Just take the time comparing price quotes provided by online insurance companies. It is quite easy and can be accomplished in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
- One of the best ways consumers can analyze rates would be an industry-wide quote request form click to view form in new window. This method eliminates the need for repetitive form entry for each company you want a rate for. In just a few minutes this one form will return price quotes direct from many companies.It’s the quickest way to get rates.
- A harder way to get comparison quotes requires you to visit the website for each individual company and request a quote. For instance, let’s assume you want to compare GEICO, Progressive and Travelers. To get each rate you have to visit each site to input your insurance information, which is why the first method is more popular. For a list of links to insurance companies in Warrenton, click here.
- The least efficient method of getting rate comparisons is to spend time driving to and from local Warrenton insurance agencies. Shopping for auto insurance online eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you have a need for the professional guidance of a local Warrenton agent. Drivers can obtain prices from the web but buy from a local insurance agent and we’ll cover that in a bit.
Whichever way you use, be sure to compare identical coverage limits for each price quote. If your comparisons have differing limits it’s impossible to determine the lowest rate in Warrenton.
Educated Consumers Know How to Buy Auto Insurance Cheaper
An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the elements that go into determining the rates you pay for auto insurance. Having a good understanding of what controls the rates you pay helps enable you to make changes that may reward you with better auto insurance rates.
- You might want pay the small claims yourself – Auto insurance companies in Virginia give discounts to insureds who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can look forward to either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Car insurance is designed for the large, substantial claims.
- Liability insurance protects assets – Liability insurance provides coverage if you are found to be at fault for damages from an accident. It will provide legal defense coverage starting from day one. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap compared to physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Having a spouse can save you money – Having a wife or husband helps lower the price on your auto insurance policy. Having a spouse is viewed as being more mature and responsible and it’s statistically proven that married couples file fewer claims.
- Your auto insurance rates can be influenced by your job – Did you know your job can affect your rates? Occupations such as judges, architects and dentists are shown to have the highest average rates attributed to high stress and long work hours. Other occupations like scientists, historians and homemakers pay the least.
- A clean driving record saves money – Drivers with clean records tend to pay less for car insurance compared to drivers with tickets. Even one speeding ticket may increase your cost by as much as thirty percent. Drivers with flagrant tickets such as hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions are required to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state motor vehicle department in order to keep their license.
- Do you qualify for a multi-policy discount? – Many insurance companies will award you with lower prices to people who buy several policies from them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even though this discount sounds good, it’s still a good idea to comparison shop to verify if the discount is saving money. You may still find better rates by buying insurance from more than one company.
What coverages do I need?
When it comes to buying coverage, there really is no cookie cutter policy. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help you determine if your insurance needs would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- Will my vehicle be repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- I have good health insurance, so how much medical payments coverage do I need?
- Is business equipment covered while in my vehicle?
- Can I rate high risk drivers on liability-only vehicles?
- Does medical payments coverage apply to all occupants?
If you can’t answer these questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form. It only takes a few minutes and may give you better protection.
Local Warrenton agents and auto insurance
A small number of people would prefer to buy from a licensed agent and that is just fine! Licensed agents can point out coverage gaps and help file insurance claims. One of the great benefits of comparing rates online is you may find lower rates and still choose a local agent. Supporting local businesses is especially important in Warrenton.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is transmitted to local insurance agents who will return price quotes to get your business. You don’t have to leave your computer because quoted prices will be sent straight to your inbox. It doesn’t get any easier!
Different types of Warrenton car insurance agents
When researching local Warrenton agents, there are a couple of types of agencies to choose from. Agencies in Warrenton can either be independent (non-captive) or captive. Either one can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s worth mentioning the differences since it can impact buying decisions.
These agents do not work for one specific company but instead can place your coverage with lots of companies and potentially find a lower price. To move your coverage to a new company, an independent agent can move your coverage without you having to go to a different agency. When searching for an agent, it’s recommended you get quotes from several independent insurance agents for maximum quote selection. Many write coverage with lesser-known insurance companies which may provide better rates.
The following are independent insurance agencies in Warrenton that may be able to provide competitive price quotes.
- Hutton and Payne Agency Inc – 77 W Lee St # H – Warrenton, VA 20186 – (540) 347-2511
- EMO Agency Inc – 400 Rosedale Ct – Warrenton, VA 20186 – (540) 347-3552
- Taylor Pressley Insurance – 20 S 2nd St – Warrenton, VA 20186 – (540) 347-4304
- Puffenbarger Insurance – 98 Alexandria Pike – Warrenton, VA 20186 – (540) 347-7322
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive agencies work for only one company like Farmers Insurance or State Farm. They usually cannot shop your coverage around so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Captive agents are very knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques which helps them compete with independent agents. Consumers sometimes buy insurance from these agents primarily because of high brand loyalty and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
The following are Warrenton captive agents who can help you get comparison quotes.
- State Farm Insurance – 583 Frost Ave – Warrenton, VA 20186 – (540) 347-3339
- Allstate Insurance – 39 Garrett St – Warrenton, VA 20186 – (540) 347-7766
To view a full list of captive agencies in Warrenton, please go to this site.
Deciding on an insurance agent requires more thought than just a low price. Some important questions to ask are:
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Virginia?
- Are they full-time agents?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- Is assistance available after office hours?
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
After getting reasonable responses for all questions you ask and an affordable coverage quote, most likely you have located a car insurance agent that meets your needs to provide auto insurance coverage.
The auto insurance bait and switch
Virginia drivers can’t get away from ads for the lowest price auto insurance from the likes of Progressive, Allstate and GEICO. They all seem to say the same thing that you’ll save big after switching your coverage to them.
How does each company say the same thing? This is how they do it.
All companies are able to cherry pick for the type of driver that is profitable for them. For example, a preferred risk might be a mature driver, owns a home, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. A customer getting a price quote that hits that “sweet spot” will qualify for the lowest rates and as a result will probably save quite a bit of money when switching.
Drivers who do not match the requirements will have to pay a higher premium which usually ends up with the customer not buying. The ads say “customers that switch” not “everyone that quotes” save that kind of money. That’s the way companies can advertise the savings.
Because of the profiling, you should compare as many rates as you can. It’s not possible to predict the company that will give you the biggest savings.
More effort can pay off
When shopping online for auto insurance, make sure you don’t buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In too many instances, consumers will sacrifice liability limits or collision coverage only to regret they didn’t purchase enough coverage. The proper strategy is to find the BEST coverage at an affordable rate while still protecting your assets.
You just read some good ideas how to get a better price on auto insurance. The key thing to remember is the more providers you compare, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. Consumers could even find that the lowest priced auto insurance comes from a smaller regional carrier.
Consumers switch companies for many reasons like not issuing a premium refund, poor customer service, delays in responding to claim requests and even an unsatisfactory settlement offer. It doesn’t matter what your reason, switching companies is actually quite simple.
More information can be found on the Virginia Bureau of Insurance website through this link. Virginia drivers can learn about specific coverages, view agent and company licensing information, read consumer alerts, and download brochures.