Feel like you’re a prisoner to high-priced auto insurance? Trust us when we tell you you are not the only one feeling buyer’s remorse. Insurance companies such as State Farm, Farmers Insurance, GEICO and Allstate all claim big savings with fancy advertisements and it is challenging if not impossible to ignore the flying pigs and cute green geckos and find the best price available.
If you have a policy now or need a new policy, you can use these tips to find better prices and possibly find even better coverage. Finding affordable coverage in Webster is quite easy. New York vehicle owners only need an understanding of the proper methods to shop their coverage around on the web.
Smart Consumers Save More
It’s important that you understand some of the elements that play a part in calculating your auto insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates allows you to make educated decisions that can help you get lower auto insurance prices.
- Please use or commuting – Driving more miles each year the higher your rates will be. Most insurance companies charge to insure your cars based upon how you use the vehicle. Autos not used for work or commuting receive lower rates than those used for commuting. Ask your agent if your auto insurance coverage properly reflects the proper vehicle usage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Little extras can really add up – There are a lot of extra bells and whistles you can purchase if you aren’t careful. Coverages for roadside assistance, better glass coverage and term life insurance may be wasting your money. They may seem like a good idea when you first buy your policy, but if they’re wasting money eliminate them to save money.
- What are your deductibles? – Physical damage insurance, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, protects your car from damage. Some instances where coverage would apply are running into the backend of another car, damage from fire, or theft. Deductibles for physical damage are the amount of money you are required to spend before a claim is paid by your company. The higher the amount you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- Type of vehicle determines base rates – The make and model of the car you are insuring makes a substantial difference in the rate you pay. Low performance passenger cars generally receive the lowest base rates, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
- Lower rates with optional equipment – Choosing a vehicle with anti-theft technology or alarm system can get you a discount on your auto insurance. Anti-theft features such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems can thwart car theft.
Do you qualify for a discount?
Auto insurance companies don’t always list all their discounts very clearly, so we break down some of the more common and the more hidden discounts you could be receiving. If you’re not getting every credit available, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- One Accident Forgiven – Some insurance companies allow you one accident without raising rates as long as you don’t have any claims prior to the accident.
- Military Rewards – Being on active duty in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- Organization Discounts – Being a member of a civic or occupational organization could qualify you for a break when buying auto insurance.
- Paperless Signup – Some insurance companies will give a small break for buying your policy over the internet.
- Safe Driver Discount – Drivers who don’t get into accidents may receive a discount up to 45% less than drivers with accidents.
As a disclaimer on discounts, some of the credits will not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous.
To choose providers offering auto insurance discounts in New York, follow this link.
What if I want to buy from a local Webster agent?
Some consumers just want to buy from a licensed agent and that is OK! Professional agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help file insurance claims. One of the great benefits of getting online price quotes is that you can obtain the best rates and still choose a local agent.
After filling out this quick form, your information is submitted to local insurance agents in Webster who will battle for your insurance coverage. There is no need to leave your house because quoted prices will be sent directly to your email. How’s that for easy!
Choosing an insurance company needs to be determined by more than just the price. Here are some questions to ask:
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- Is assistance available after office hours?
- Are they full-time agents?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
Multiple types of auto insurance agents in Webster
When searching for a local agent, you need to know there are two types of insurance agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Webster agents are either captive or independent. Either one can do a good job, but it’s worth learning the difference between them since it can impact the selection process.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-54.jpg" alt="lower rates in Webster” />
Captive agents write business for a single company such as State Farm, AAA and Liberty Mutual. They generally cannot place coverage with different providers so they have to upsell other benefits. They are well schooled on their company’s products which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Below is a short list of captive insurance agents in Webster that can give you price quote information.
Liberty Mutual Insurance – 1900 Empire Blvd # 11 – Webster, NY 14580 – (585) 787-0850
Allstate Insurance Co – 159 W Main St – Webster, NY 14580 – (585) 872-1234
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agencies are not required to write business for one company but instead can place your coverage with lots of companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If you are not satisfied with one company, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you won’t have to switch agencies. When comparison shopping, we recommend you contact at least one independent agent for the best price selection.
Shown below is a list of independent insurance agencies in Webster that are able to give comparison quotes.
Foley Agency Inc – 9 E Main St – Webster, NY 14580 – (585) 265-9440
Walter C Taylor Agency – 1630 Empire Blvd # 1 – Webster, NY 14580 – (585) 671-8330
Thomas J Vetter Insurance – 1351 Creek St – Webster, NY 14580 – (585) 671-8212
Legler Agency Inc – 1260 Creek St # 215 – Webster, NY 14580 – (585) 671-4720
Paul P Pacitto Insurance – 2112 Empire Blvd # 5b – Webster, NY 14580 – (585) 671-9760
For a complete listing of licensed insurance agents in Webster, visit this site.
After receiving positive responses to these questions in addition to an acceptable price estimate, you may have just found an insurance agent that meets your needs to adequately provide auto insurance.
Do drivers who switch really save?
Consumers get pounded daily by advertisements that promise big savings by State Farm and Allstate. They all seem to say the same thing that you’ll save big if you change to their company.
How do they all make the same claim?
All companies have a certain “appetite” for the driver they prefer to insure. For example, a profitable customer could be a mature driver, has no driving citations, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. A customer getting a price quote who meets those qualifications gets the lowest rates and therefore will cut their rates substantially.
Potential insureds who don’t meet this ideal profile will be charged a more expensive rate which usually ends up with business going elsewhere. The ads state “customers that switch” not “everyone that quotes” save money. That’s why insurance companies can confidently advertise the savings. That is why it’s extremely important to get a wide range of price quotes. It is impossible to predict which company will give you the biggest savings.
How do I know if I need professional advice?
When choosing coverage, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Each situation is unique and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply. Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover if your situation will benefit from professional help.
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
- Am I covered when pulling a rental trailer?
- Does liability extend to a camper or trailer?
- Am I covered when driving in Canada or Mexico?
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in New York?
- Am I covered when using my vehicle for business?
- Does coverage extend to a rental car in a foreign country?
If you can’t answer these questions but one or more may apply to you then you might want to talk to an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area. It’s fast, free and you can get the answers you need.
Additional resources for New York consumers
Even more information can be found at the New York Department of Financial Services website. Consumers can read consumer alerts, find out industry alerts, learn about specific coverages, and report car insurance fraud.
Summing up your auto insurance search
In this article, we covered quite a bit of information on how to lower your auto insurance rates. The key concept to understand is the more quotes you get, the better your comparison will be. You may even find the lowest premiums are with a lesser-known regional company. Regional companies may only write in your state and offer lower rates than their larger competitors like Allstate and Progressive.
As you shop your coverage around, it’s not a good idea to skimp on coverage in order to save money. In many cases, an insured dropped liability coverage limits to discover at claim time that it was a big error on their part. The proper strategy is to get the best coverage possible at an affordable rate while still protecting your assets.
Discount auto insurance is definitely available both online and also from your neighborhood Webster agents, and you need to comparison shop both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance companies may not provide online quoting and these small insurance companies work with independent agents.