Finding affordable Helena car insurance can be nearly impossible for consumers not familiar with shopping for insurance online. You have so many companies to choose from that it can easily become more work than you anticipated to find lower rates in Helena.
Vehicle Insurance Comparison
Finding a better price on car insurance is a fairly straight forward process. The only requirement is to invest a little time getting comparison quotes online from several insurance companies. This is very easy and can be done in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
The single most time-saving way to find the lowest comparison rates is a comparison rater form click to view form in new window. This easy form eliminates the need for repetitive form submissions for each company. A single form will get you rate comparisons from car insurance companies with the best prices. This is perfect if you don’t have a lot of time.
A different way to get comparison quotes consists of visiting each company website and complete a new quote form. For examples sake, we’ll assume you want rates from Allstate, GEICO and GMAC. To find out each rate you need to go to every website to enter your coverage information, which is why most consumers use the first method. For a list of links to companies insuring cars in Helena, click here.
The most time-consuming way of comparing rate quotes is driving around to and from local Helena insurance agencies. The internet has reduced the need for local agents unless you prefer the professional advice that only a license agent can provide. You can, however, compare online quotes and still use a local agent and we’ll cover that in a bit.
It doesn’t matter which method you choose, just make absolute certain that you use identical coverage limits and deductibles on every quote you get. If the quotes have unequal deductibles or liability limits you can’t possibly make a fair comparison in Helena.
Why your price might be higher
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the elements that help determine the rates you pay for car insurance. Knowing what controls the rates you pay helps enable you to make changes that can help you get big savings.
- Never allow your policy to lapse – Letting your insurance expire will be a guaranteed way to trigger a rate increase. And not only will insurance be more expensive, but not being able to provide proof of insurance will get you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.You may then be required to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the Alabama motor vehicle department.
- How many coverages with the same company – The majority of companies provide better rates to insureds who buy several policies from them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount, it’s in your best interest to comparison shop to verify if the discount is saving money. Consumers may find better rates by splitting coverages up.
- Your occupation can affect rates – Occupations like judges, business owners and financial analysts tend to pay higher average rates attributed to high stress levels and lots of time spent at work. Conversely, occupations like pilots, engineers and the unemployed have the lowest average rates.
- Lower miles equals lower premium – The more you drive each year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. The majority of insurers apply a rate determined by how the vehicle is used. Cars and trucks not used for work or commuting can get a lower rate than those used for commuting. Ask your agent if your car insurance policy shows the correct driver usage, because it can save money.
- Don’t sacrifice liability coverage – Liability coverage provides coverage if a court rules you are at fault for damages from an accident. It will provide for a legal defense starting from day one. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap when compared with rates for comp and collision, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Don’t get talked into coverage you don’t need – There are quite a few add-on coverages that you can buy when buying car insurance. Coverages like rental car reimbursement, towing coverage and membership fees are examples of these. These coverages may sound good when talking to your agent, but your needs may have changed so get rid of them and save.
- Type of vehicle determines base rates – The performance of the vehicle you drive makes a significant difference in how high your rates are. Economy passenger vehicles usually have the lowest rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
These discounts can slash car insurance rates
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but there are discounts available to reduce the price significantly. Most are applied at the time of quoting, but some must be manually applied prior to getting the savings. If you aren’t receiving every discount available, you are paying more than you should be.
- Good Students Pay Less – Performing well in school can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. The good student discount can last up to age 25.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Cars that have air bags or automatic seat belts can receive discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Homeowners Savings – Being a homeowner may trigger a car insurance policy discount because of the fact that having a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Government Employees – Being employed by or retired from a federal job may qualify you for a discount depending on your company.
- Drive Safe and Save – Drivers who avoid accidents may save up to 50% more than their less cautious counterparts.
It’s important to understand that most credits do not apply to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. So despite the fact that it appears you can get free auto insurance, you won’t be that lucky. Any amount of discount will help reduce the cost of coverage.
For a list of insurance companies with the best car insurance discounts in Alabama, follow this link.
Don’t I need to talk to an agent?
Some consumers prefer to buy from a local agent and that is just fine! Professional agents can point out coverage gaps and help file insurance claims. One of the best bonuses of price shopping on the web is you may find lower rates but also keep your business local. And providing support for local businesses is definitely important in Helena.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this short form, the quote information is sent to local insurance agents who will battle for your coverage. There is no need to even leave your home because quoted prices will be sent directly to your email. How cool is that?!
The following is a list of insurers in Helena that can give you price quotes.
- Allstate Insurance – 275 Village Pkwy, Helena, AL 35080 – (205) 664-3200
- Jordan Insurance – 201 Tucker Rd # 203, Helena, AL 35080 – (205) 685-8334
- HIS Agency – 181 Saint Charles Dr, Helena, AL 35080 – (205) 426-0033
- Grocers Insurance Group – 2322 Amberley Woods Trce, Helena, AL 35080 – (205) 620-1930
- State Farm Insurance – 1900 Highway 95, Helena, AL 35080 – (205) 664-4404
For a complete listing of licensed insurance agents in Helena, please click here.
Deciding on an provider needs to be determined by more than just the premium amount. Any agent should have no problem answering these questions:
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
- Who are their largest clients?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
After receiving satisfactory answers and an affordable coverage quote, chances are good that you have found a company that meets your needs to insure your vehicles.
Best coverage at the best price
Throughout this article, we presented some good ideas how you can reduce car insurance prices online. The most important thing to understand is the more companies you get rates for, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. Drivers may discover the biggest savings come from a small mutual company.
When shopping online for car insurance, you should never buy less coverage just to save a little money. Too many times, drivers have reduced physical damage coverage only to regret they didn’t have enough coverage. Your strategy should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at a price you can afford, not the least amount of coverage.
Cheap car insurance can be bought from both online companies as well as from independent agents in Helena, so you should be comparing quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture. Some car insurance companies don’t offer the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these small insurance companies sell through independent agents.
Additional reading for car insurance information
Additional information is located on the Alabama Department of Insurance website through this link. Visitors are able to find disaster information, find a variety of consumer forms, view agent and company licensing information, and read state legal mandates and laws.
The articles below may also help you learn more about car insurance in Helena