Finding better rates for Payson car insurance can seem to be nearly impossible for people who are new to shopping for insurance online. Consumers have so many options available that it can turn into a real hassle to find lower rates in Payson.
If you have a current car insurance policy or need new coverage, you will benefit by learning to find the best rates while maintaining coverages. Shopping for affordable protection in Payson is simple if you know the tricks. Utah drivers just need to learn how to compare price quotes online.
Make smart decisions and save
Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that play a part in calculating your car insurance rates. Knowing what influences your rates helps enable you to make changes that can help you get lower car insurance prices.
- More miles equals more premium – Driving more miles in a year the more you will pay for car insurance. Almost all companies price each vehicle’s coverage based on how the vehicle is used. Cars not used for work or commuting get more affordable rates than those used for commuting. Ask your agent if your car insurance coverage properly reflects the proper vehicle usage.
- Higher deductibles cost less – The deductibles define the amount you are willing to pay before your car insurance pays a claim. Physical damage insurance, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, protects your car from damage. A few examples of covered claims could be running into the backend of another car, collision with an animal, and burglary. The more you have to pay, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- Where you live is a factor – Living in less populated areas is a positive aspect when it comes to car insurance. Drivers in populated areas have more traffic problems and a longer drive to work. Lower population means fewer accidents and also fewer theft and vandalism claims.
- Allowing your policy to lapse raises rates – Not having insurance is a misdemeanor and you will pay a penalty because you let your insurance lapse. Not only will rates go up, failure to provide proof of insurance can result in a revoked license or a big fine.You may need to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Utah motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
- Battle of the sexes – The statistics show that women are safer drivers than men. Now that doesn’t mean women are BETTER drivers than men. They both are in accidents at about the same rate, but men tend to have more serious accidents. Men also get cited for more serious violations such as reckless driving.
- Don’t skimp on liability – Liability coverage provides coverage when you are found liable for personal injury or accident damage. It provides for a legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. Liability insurance is quite affordable when compared with rates for comp and collision, so do not cut corners here.
Do you qualify for a discount?
Companies don’t always advertise all their discounts very clearly, so the following is a list of some of the more common and the more hidden discounts you could be receiving. If you’re not getting every credit possible, you are throwing money away.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – If you pay your bill all at once rather than paying monthly you could save up to 5%.
- Air Bag Discount – Factory air bags or motorized seat belts can get savings of more than 20%.
- Resident Student – Any of your kids who are attending college without a vehicle on campus may be able to be covered for less.
- Seat Belts Save – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use a seat belt can save up to 15% off your PIP or medical payments premium.
- Government Employees – Simply working for the federal government may qualify you for a discount depending on your company.
As a disclaimer on discounts, many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. So when it seems like you could get a free car insurance policy, you won’t be that lucky.
Won’t my local insurance agent miss me?
Certain consumers would rather sit down with an agent. Educated insurance agents can help determine the best coverages and give you peace of mind. The best thing about getting online price quotes is that you can obtain lower rates but also keep your business local.
After completing this simple form, your information is emailed to participating agents in Payson who will give you bids to get your business. You don’t have to leave your computer because quoted prices will be sent to your email. How’s that for easy!
Choosing an insurer needs to be determined by more than just a cheap price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
Independent or Captive: It’s your choice
When researching a good insurance agency, you need to know there are two different agency structures that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Insurance agencies in Payson are classified as either captive or independent (non-captive). Either one can write coverage properly, but it’s worth mentioning the difference between them since it can impact your selection of an agent.
This type of agents can only write with one company and examples are Liberty Mutual, Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. These agents are unable to place coverage with different providers so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Captives are very knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques which can be an advantage. Some people will only buy from captive agents primarily because of loyalty to the company and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
The following are captive agents in Payson willing to provide price quotes.
- Farmers Insurance Group – 25 S 100 W – Payson, UT 84651 – (801) 465-9271
- Allstate Insurance – 765 E 100 N – Payson, UT 84651 – (801) 465-4574
Independent Agencies or Brokers
These agents are not locked into one company so they can insure your vehicles with multiple insurance companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If you are not satisfied with one company, an independent agent can move your coverage without you having to go to a different agency. When comparing rates, we recommend you contact at a minimum one independent agency to ensure the widest selection of prices.Most can insure with different regional companies who may have lower rates.
Listed below are Payson independent insurance agencies that are able to give rate quotes.
- Behling Insurance – 2 N Main St – Payson, UT 84651 – (801) 465-4893
- Mt Loafer Insurance – 25 S 100 W – Payson, UT 84651 – (801) 465-3932
For a full directory of licensed insurance agents in Payson, please view this page.
Upon getting answers to your satisfaction for all questions you ask and an affordable coverage quote, most likely you have located a car insurance agent that meets your needs to insure your vehicles.
Slick advertising tricks that work
Utah drivers can’t ignore all the ads for car insurance savings by Allstate and Progressive. All the ads make the same claim that you’ll save big if you move to their company.
How can each company say the same thing?
All the different companies have a certain “appetite” for the driver they prefer to insure. For instance, a driver they prefer could be over the age of 50, a clean driving record, and chooses high deductibles. A driver who matches those parameters will get very good rates and most likely will save a lot of money.
Potential customers who do not match these standards will be charged higher premiums and ends up with business going elsewhere. The ads state “customers that switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save that kind of money. This is how insurance companies can advertise the way they do. That is why drivers must quote coverage with many companies. It’s not possible to predict the company that will give you the biggest savings.
Additional detailed information can be read at the Utah Insurance Department website. Utah consumers can find a variety of consumer forms, read industry bulletins, and find disaster information.
When trying to cut insurance costs, do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many situations where someone dropped physical damage coverage only to regret at claim time that they should have had better coverage. The ultimate goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest price while not skimping on critical coverages.
We just presented a lot of techniques to shop for car insurance online. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the better your comparison will be. You may be surprised to find that the lowest priced car insurance comes from some of the lesser-known companies.
Cheaper car insurance is attainable both online and with local Payson insurance agents, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some companies do not offer online price quotes and many times these smaller companies only sell through independent insurance agents.