Are you tired of being strong-armed to make your auto insurance payment? You’re in the same situation as many other people in Oregon. Because you have many companies and agents to choose from, it is very difficult to locate the most cost effective auto insurance company.
Buying car insurance in Sutherlin is not rocket science. If you currently have a car insurance policy, you will be able to save some money using this strategy. Oregon drivers only need an understanding of the proper way to shop their coverage around on the web.
Save money with these auto insurance discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don’t necessarily list the entire discount list in a way that’s easy to find, so the list below details a few of the more common and also the more inconspicuous discounts that you can inquire about if you . If you check and find you aren’t receiving every discount you qualify for, you are not getting the best rate possible.
- Resident Student – who live away from home to go to college and leave their car at home could qualify for this discount.
- Early Switch Discount – Select auto insurance companies give a discount for switching companies early. It could save around 10% when you .
- Active Service Discounts – Being on active duty in the military could mean lower rates.
- Senior Citizen Rates – Mature drivers may receive a small discount on rates.
- Driver Safety – Completing a driver safety course could earn you a small percentage discount if you qualify.
A little disclaimer on discounts, most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. So despite the fact that it appears adding up those discounts means a free policy, it’s just not the way it works. But any discount will lower the premium cost.
A few of the larger companies and the discounts they provide are included below.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including multiple autos, good student, student away at school, defensive driving training, Drive Safe & Save, and anti-theft.
- American Family may have discounts that include accident-free, TimeAway discount, early bird, bundled insurance, and mySafetyValet.
- AAA has discounts for pay-in-full, good student, anti-theft, good driver, multi-policy, and multi-car.
- GEICO includes discounts for defensive driver, federal employee, membership and employees, anti-lock brakes, emergency military deployment, seat belt use, and driver training.
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts including good student, ease of repair, accident-free, low natural disaster claims, and professional/association.
- Farmers Insurance discounts include business and professional, distant student, youthful driver, early shopping, good student, and mature driver.
- Progressive may include discounts for continuous coverage, good student, online signing, online quote discount, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle.
If you want , ask every insurance company how many discounts you can get. Depending on the company, some discounts might not be offered in Sutherlin.
The best way we recommend to compare insurance rates in your area is to take advantage of the fact car insurance companies allow for online access to provide you with a free rate quote. To begin a comparison, all you need to do is provide information including if you went to college, if the vehicle is leased, the type of vehicles you drive, and if you’re married. Your details is sent automatically to multiple different insurance companies and they respond with quotes with very little delay.
If you would like to start a quote now, click here then complete the form.
You have control over your auto insurance prices
One of the most helpful ways to save on auto insurance is to to have a grasp of a few of the rating criteria that help determine auto insurance rates. If you know what influences your rates, this enables you to make decisions that could help you find lower premium levels. Many factors are used in the calculation when quoting car insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious like a motor vehicle report, although some other factors are less obvious such as whether you are married or your commute time.
- Lower auto insurance rates with alarms and GPS tracking – Driving a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can save you some money. Theft prevention features such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar help track and prevent auto theft.
- Small claims can cost you – If you file claims often, you can definitely plan on increased rates or even have your policy non-renewed. Companies in Oregon award better rates to policyholders that do not abuse their auto insurance. Your insurance policy is designed for more catestrophic claims.
- More traffic means higher claims – Living in small towns and rural areas has it’s advantages if you are looking for the lowest rates. Fewer drivers and short commutes translates into fewer accident claims and a lower car theft rate. Drivers who live in large Oregon cities regularly have traffic congestion and a longer drive to work. Higher commute times means more chances of being involved in an auto accident.
- Better rates on vehicles with better crash test results – Vehicles with good safety scores tend to have lower insurance rates. Vehicles engineered for safety have better occupant injury protection and reduced instances of injuries means your insurance company pays less which can mean better rates for you.
Auto insurance can get complicated
When choosing the best auto insurance coverage, there is no cookie cutter policy. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs so this has to be addressed. Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight if your situation might need professional guidance.
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- What are the financial responsibility laws in Oregon?
- Is my cargo covered for damage or theft?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- Do I need medical payments coverage since I have good health insurance?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, you might consider talking to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, complete this form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and may give you better protection.
Beware of misleading auto insurance ads
Oregon consumers can’t escape the ads for cheaper auto insurance from companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive. They all seem to make an identical promise that you can save just by switching your auto insurance policy to them.
Is it even possible that every company can charge you a lower premium?
Companies look for specific characteristics for the type of customer that makes them money. For instance, this type of insured should be a female over age 40, insures multiple vehicles, and chooses high deductibles. Any new insured that hits that “sweet spot” will probably get cheap prices and will save a lot of money.
Drivers who don’t meet those criteria may be required to pay higher premiums and this can result in the customer not purchasing. If you pay close attention to the ads, they say “people who switch” but not “everyone who gets a quote” save that much money. This is how companies can truthfully lure you into getting a quote. Because every company is different, you absolutely need to get as many as possible. Because without a comparison, you cannot know which auto insurance company will have the lowest rates.
Don’t give up on cheaper premiums
You just read a lot of ways to lower your auto insurance premium rates. It’s most important to understand that the more times you quote, the better your chances of lowering your prices. Consumers could even find that the best premium rates are with a lesser-known regional company. Regional companies may have significantly lower prices on certain market segments as compared to the big name companies such as GEICO and State Farm.
Cheap auto insurance can be sourced both online and from local insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best selection. Some insurance companies may not offer rates over the internet and many times these smaller companies work with local independent agents.
When getting , don’t be tempted to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are too many instances where consumers will sacrifice collision coverage only to find out that the savings was not a smart move. The goal is to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest cost, not the least amount of coverage.
More tips and info about auto insurance is available at the Oregon Insurance Division website. Consumers can file complaints about a company, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, and find a variety of consumer forms.