Shopping for low-cost Benton Harbor auto insurance over the internet might seem intimidating for people that are not comfortable with quoting and comparison shopping online. With literally dozens of insurers to choose from, how are we expected to have the ability to compare all the different companies and get better prices?
How much does auto insurance in Benton Harbor cost?
There are several ways of comparing price quotes from auto insurance companies in your area. The quickest method to do a complete rate comparison is to jump online and get quotes. This can be done in a couple of different ways.
- Hands down the most simple method to get quotes for comparison would be an industry-wide quote request form click to view form in new window. This form saves time by eliminating a different quote for every prospective company. One simple form will return price quotes from all major companies. It’s the fastest way to compare.
- A different way to get quotes online consists of visiting the website of each company and repeat the quote process. For examples sake, let’s assume you want to get rates from Nationwide, Liberty Mutual and GMAC. You would have to spend time going to each site individually and repeatedly enter your information, which explains why we recommend starting with the first method.
For a list of links to insurance companies in Benton Harbor, click here.
- The least recommended method to find cheaper rates is actually driving to different agent offices. Comparing rates online makes this process obsolete unless you’re the type of person who wants the trained guidance that only a licensed agent can provide. Some companies do allow you to price shop online but purchase the actual policy in an agency.
Whichever way you choose to compare rates, make absolute certain that you use the same coverage limits and deductibles on every quote you get. If you use differing limits it will be next to impossible to make a fair rate comparison in Benton Harbor. Quoting even small variations in coverages can result in a big premium difference. Just remember that comparing a wide range of rates will enable you to find a lower rate than you’re paying now. Some smaller insurers to not give rate quotes online, so you should also compare prices on coverage from those companies, too.
Auto insurance quotes and discounts
Companies that sell car insurance do not advertise all disounts very clearly, so here is a list some of the best known and also the more inconspicuous credits available to lower your premiums when you . If you don’t get every credit available, you are paying more than you should be.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Driving less could be rewarded with lower auto insurancerates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Senior Citizen Rates – Older drivers may qualify for a small decrease in premiums.
- Responsible Driver Discount – Insureds who avoid accidents can save as much as half off their rates than drivers with accidents.
- Theft Prevention System – Vehicles that have factory anti-theft systems are less likely to be stolen and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Drivers Education – Have your child enroll and complete driver’s education as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to buckle up before driving could cut 10% or more off the medical payments premium.
- Telematics Data – Benton Harbor drivers who agree to allow data collection to look at when and where they use their vehicle by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as Progressive’s Snapshot might get better premium rates if they show good driving skills.
As a sidenote, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. So when the math indicates you can get free auto insurance, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
Insurance companies that may offer some of the above discounts possibly include:
Before you buy a policy, ask all the companies how you can save money. Discounts may not apply in Benton Harbor. To locate insurance companies with discount auto insurance rates in Michigan, click this link.
Lower Benton Harbor auto insurance prices
Many things are used when pricing auto insurance. Some are pretty understandable like an MVR report, although others are less obvious such as your credit history and annual miles driven.
- Having a spouse pays dividends – Your spouse may save some money on your auto insurance bill. It means you’re more mature and insurance companies reward insureds because married drivers tend to have fewer serious accidents.
- Premiums are lower the older you get – Older people are viewed as being more responsible, file fewer claims and are safer drivers.Beginning drivers are statistically proven to be careless and easily distracted when behind the wheel and because of this, their auto insurance rates are much higher.
- Does insurance coverage cost less for females? – Over time, data shows women are more cautious behind the wheel. The data does not necessarily mean that women are better drivers. Both sexes get in fender benders in similar numbers, but the males have accidents that have higher claims. Men also statistically get ticketed for serious violations such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving recklessly.
- Do you know you’re credit rating? – Having a bad credit score is a big factor in determining premium rates. Drivers who have high credit ratings tend to be more responsible than drivers with lower credit scores. So if your credit history is not that good, you could potentially save money when insuring your vehicle if you improve your credit rating.
- Low physical damage deductibles cost more – Insurance for physical damage, also called ‘full coverage’, helps pay for damage to your vehicle. Some coverage claims are a windshield shattered by a rock, hitting a deer, and windstorm damage. The deductibles you choose define how much you are willing to pay before your auto insurance pays a claim. The more you have to pay, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Combining policies can get discounts – The majority of insurers apply discounts to policyholders that buy multiple policies, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. This can amount to ten or even fifteen percent. Even if you qualify for this discount already, you still need to compare other insurance prices to guarantee you are still saving the most.There is a good possibility that you can save even more than the discount by insuring with multiple companies.
Shop online but buy locally
Many drivers still prefer to sit down with an agent and that is just fine! One of the benefits of comparing rates online is you can get cheaper car insurance rates but still work with a licensed agent.
After filling out this short form, your insurance coverage information is emailed to companies in Benton Harbor that can give you for your business. You never need to contact any insurance agencies due to the fact that quote results will go to you instantly. You’ll get the best rates without requiring a lot of work. If you want to compare prices from one company in particular, you can always jump over to their website and submit a quote form there.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px;" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-40.jpg" alt="Benton Harbor Michigan car insurance prices”/>
Choosing an provider should include more criteria than just a cheap price quote. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- How long have they been in business?
- Is assistance available after office hours?
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
Best auto insurance agent in Benton Harbor
If you would like to find a reputable insurance agent or broker, it’s important to understand the different agency structures and how they operate. Insurance agencies in Benton Harbor can either be independent agents or captive agents depending on their employer.
Captive Auto Insurance Agencies
Captive insurance agents have only one company to place business with and examples are State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. These agents are not able to provide other company’s prices so you might not find the best rates. Captive agencies receive a lot of sales training on their products and sales techniques and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Some people will only use the same agent partially due to high brand loyalty rather than low rates.
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
Agents in the independent channel are not employed by any specific company so they can insure your vehicles with any number of different companies depending on which coverage is best. If they quote lower rates, your agent can switch companies without you having to go to a different agency.
When comparison shopping, you will definitely want to get quotes from a few independent agents in order to compare the most rates. Most can insure with small mutual carriers that many times have cheaper rates.
Below is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Benton Harbor who can help you get rate quotes.
- F Joseph Flaugh Insurance Inc – 1355 E Napier Ave – Benton Harbor, MI 49022 – (269) 925-0611
- Eldon M Smith Insurance – 4630 Territorial Rd – Benton Harbor, MI 49022 – (269) 982-0000
To view additional licensed insurance agents in Benton Harbor, link to this list of Benton Harbor auto insurance agents.
There’s no such thing as the perfect auto insurance policy
When it comes to buying the right insurance coverage for your vehicles, there isn’t really a “best” method to buy coverage. Everyone’s situation is unique.
These are some specific questions may help highlight if you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- What is the difference between comprehensive and collision coverage?
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- Are split liability limits better than a combined single limit?
If you’re not sure about those questions, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form.
More tips and info about auto insurance can be read at the Michigan Office of Financial and Insurance Regulation website. Michigan consumers can find out which companies have the most complaints, get help finding coverage, find a variety of consumer forms, and report car insurance fraud.
You can find cheaper coverage
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s very important that you do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There have been many situations where an insured dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits and discovered at claim time that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The ultimate goal is to get the best coverage possible at a price you can afford, but do not skimp to save money.
Lower-priced auto insurance is possible from both online companies in addition to local insurance agencies, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some auto insurance companies do not provide internet price quotes and these smaller companies provide coverage only through independent insurance agents.
Insureds switch companies for a number of reasons such as delays in responding to claim requests, unfair underwriting practices, lack of trust in their agent or even denial of a claim. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch choosing a new insurance company can be easier than you think.