Are you a victim of an overpriced auto insurance policy? Believe me when I say you are not the only one feeling buyer’s remorse. Numerous auto insurance companies battle for your insurance dollar, and it can be difficult to compare rates to get the cheapest price
Consumers need to compare prices before your policy renews since insurance rates tend to go up over time. If you had the lowest price six months ago you can probably find a better price now. There is too much inaccurate information about auto insurance online but by reading this article, you’re going to learn some solid techniques on how to stop overpaying for insurance.
If you have a current auto insurance policy or are just looking to switch companies, you can use this information to cut your premiums while maintaining coverages. Choosing the best insurance company for you in Charleston is easy if you know what you’re doing. South Carolina drivers only need an understanding of the proper way to compare price quotes over the internet.
How much can you save with discounts?
Companies don’t always list all their discounts very well, so we researched both well-publicized and the harder-to-find discounts you could be receiving. If you don’t get every credit you deserve, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Drive Less and Save – Driving fewer miles could be rewarded with lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Multiple Policy Discount – When you combine your home and auto insurance with one insurance company you could get a discount of at least 10% off all policies.
- Payment Method – By paying your policy upfront instead of making monthly payments you could save up to 5%.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking part in a driver safety course could save 5% or more if your company offers it.
- Own a Home – Owning a house in Charleston can save you money because owning a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Good Student Discount – Getting good grades can save 20 to 25%. This discount can apply up to age 25.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Just because you may think adding up those discounts means a free policy, it just doesn’t work that way.
To choose companies with the best auto insurance discounts in Charleston, click here to view.
How to Compare Charleston Auto Insurance Rates
Finding a better price on auto insurance doesn’t have to be difficult. Consumers just need to invest a little time comparing rates provided by online insurance companies. It is quite easy and can be accomplished using a couple different methods.
- The recommended way to get quotes for comparison is to use a rate comparison form like this one (opens in new window). This type of form eliminates the need for separate quotes to each individual auto insurance company. One simple form gets you price quotes from auto insurance companies with the best prices.
- A different way to obtain and compare quotes online consists of going to each company’s website and fill out their own quote form. For examples sake, we’ll assume you want to compare Allstate, 21st Century and GMAC. To get rate quotes you would need to visit each site to enter your coverage information, which is why most consumers use the first method.
For a list of links to insurance companies in Charleston, click here.
Which method you use is up to you, but make darn sure you compare exactly the same coverages and limits for each price quote. If you are comparing unequal deductibles or liability limits it’s not possible to truly determine the lowest rate in Charleston.
How much car insurance do I need?
When choosing proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there is no cookie cutter policy. Everyone’s situation is unique so your insurance should reflect that These are some specific questions may help you determine whether your personal situation might need an agent’s assistance.
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- Should I buy more coverage than the required South Carolina minimum liability coverage?
- Is there coverage for injuries to my pets?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- When does my teenage driver need to be added to my policy?
- Does my vehicle need full coverage?
- Am I covered when pulling a rental trailer?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area. It only takes a few minutes and can help protect your family.
The cheapest auto insurance can be found both online in addition to many Charleston insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best selection. A few companies do not provide online price quotes and most of the time these smaller companies sell through independent agents.
While you’re price shopping online, it’s very important that you do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In too many instances, someone dropped collision coverage only to find out that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The proper strategy is to get the best coverage possible at the best price, not the least amount of coverage.