Have you fallen victim to an overpriced car insurance policy? Believe me when I say there are many people just like you. Many insurance companies compete for your hard-earned dollar, so it can be very hard to choose a insurer to find the absolute cheapest price
It’s smart to price shop coverage at least once a year since rates are variable and change quite frequently. Even if you got the best price a couple years back the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. So just forget anything you know (or think you know) about car insurance because I’m going to teach you the best way to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
Discounts can save BIG
Car insurance can cost a lot, but you can get discounts that you may not even be aware of. A few discounts will automatically apply when you complete an application, but a few need to be inquired about before they will apply. If you don’t get every credit possible, you are paying more than you should be.
- College Student – Children living away from home attending college and do not have access to a covered vehicle can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Driver’s Ed – Cut your cost by having your teen driver complete a driver education course in high school.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems prevent vehicle theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Paperless Signup – A few companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks just for signing your application on their website.
- Own a Home – Owning a home in Redmond may trigger a car insurance policy discount because maintaining a house requires personal responsibility.
- Safe Drivers – Safe drivers may save up to 50% more than drivers with accidents.
- Life Insurance Discount – Larger companies have better rates if you take out auto and life insurance together.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. So when it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies don’t profit that way. Any amount of discount will bring down your overall premium however.
For a list of insurers who offer car insurance discounts in Oregon, click here.
Which policy gives me the best coverage?
When buying proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there isn’t really a “perfect” insurance plan. Each situation is unique so this has to be addressed. These are some specific questions can aid in determining if your situation may require specific advice.
- When should I drop full coverage on my vehicle?
- What is the minimum liability in Oregon?
- How high should my uninsured/underinsured coverage be in Oregon?
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It is quick, free and can provide invaluable advice.
But buying car insurance online seems impersonal
A small number of people just want to talk to a local agent and that is OK! Agents can point out coverage gaps and help file insurance claims. The best thing about price shopping on the web is that you can obtain better rates and still choose a local agent. Buying from local agencies is important particularly in Redmond.
For easy comparison, once you complete this short form, the coverage information is transmitted to companies in Redmond who will return price quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no reason to leave your house since price quotes are sent straight to your inbox. How cool is that?!
To select a specific agent in Redmond, please go to this site.
Deciding on an insurer needs to be determined by more than just a cheap price. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- How long has their agency been in business in Redmond?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- What insurance companies do they work with?
- How are claims handled?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
Upon receiving positive feedback to any questions you have and an affordable coverage quote, it’s possible that you found an provider that is a good match to provide car insurance coverage.
Additional consumer information websites
Additional information can be read on the website for the Oregon Insurance Division through this link. Consumers can file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, find out which companies have the most complaints, find out industry alerts, and view a list of available companies.
The following articles may also be useful.
- How to Know Youre Paying Too Much for Car Insurance in Redmond
- Find the Secrets to Paying Less for Redmond Washington Car Insurance
Affordable insurance is out there
Throughout this article, we presented some good ideas how you can shop for car insurance online. It’s most important to understand that the more times you quote, the better your comparison will be. You may even discover the lowest rates come from a smaller regional carrier. They may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm and Allstate.
Discount car insurance is available from both online companies and with local Redmond insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some car insurance companies do not offer you the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these regional insurance providers sell through independent agents.
When buying insurance coverage, do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many cases where someone sacrificed physical damage coverage only to discover later that it was a big mistake. The proper strategy is to purchase plenty of coverage at the best price while still protecting your assets.