Are you sick and tired of paying out the nose each month for car insurance? Your situation is no different than millions of other consumers. There is such a variety of insurance companies to choose from, and although it’s a good thing to have multiple companies, it makes it harder to locate the cheapest rates.
You should make it a habit to price shop coverage before your policy renews since insurance rates go up and down regularly. Despite the fact that you may have had the best deal two years ago there is a good chance you can find better rates now. So just block out anything you think you know about car insurance because you’re about to learn one of the quickest ways to lower your annual insurance bill.
Finding the best rates in West Wendover is not rocket science. If you are insured now or are just looking to switch companies, you can use these techniques to get lower rates while maximizing coverage. Nevada drivers just need to understand how to shop for car insurance over the internet.
West Wendover Rates are Influenced by These Factors
An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the elements that come into play when calculating car insurance rates. Knowing what determines base rates allows you to make educated decisions that could result in big savings.
- Small claims can cost you – Insurance companies in Nevada provide lower rates to insureds who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you frequently file small claims, you can definitely plan on either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Insurance coverage is intended to be relied upon for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Extra coverages can waste money – There are quite a few extra coverages that you can buy on your car insurance policy. Coverages like personal injury protection, towing coverage and membership fees may be costing you every month. They may seem good when you first buy your policy, but your needs may have changed so get rid of them and save.
- Rates may be lower depending on your job – Did you know your job can affect your rates? Occupations such as lawyers, executives and accountants are shown to have higher rates than average attributed to high stress and long work days. On the flip side, occupations like pilots, athletes and performers pay the least.
- Your credit rating is important – Your credit history is a huge factor in determining what you pay for car insurance. If your credit score is not that good, you could save money insuring your by improving your rating. People with high credit ratings tend to be more responsible than drivers with lower credit scores.
Discounts can save BIG
Companies don’t always list all their discounts very clearly, so here is a list some of the best known as well as the least known ways to save on car insurance. If you’re not getting every credit possible, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- No Claims – Drivers with accident-free driving histories can earn big discounts when compared with drivers who are more careless.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time rather than paying monthly you can actually save on your bill.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts could cut 10% or more off your medical payments premium.
- Multiple Policy Discount – When you have multiple policies with one insurance company you may save up to 20% off your total premium.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Some companies give discounts for switching to them before your current expiration date. The savings is around 10%.
- Good Student Discount – Getting good grades can earn a discount of 20% or more. Earning this discount can benefit you until age 25.
A little note about advertised discounts, some credits don’t apply to the entire cost. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. Just because it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
Your insurance agent down the street
A small number of people prefer to visit with an insurance agent. Professional agents can help determine the best coverages and help submit paperwork. The best thing about price shopping on the web is that you can obtain better rates but still work with a licensed agent.
Once you complete this short form, your information gets sent to companies in West Wendover who will give you bids for your insurance coverage. You won’t need to visit any agencies since price quotes are sent immediately to your email address. How’s that for easy!
Selecting a company should depend on more than just the price. Here are some questions to ask:
- Do they assist clients in filing claims?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
Captive agents vs. Independent agents
When researching a local agent, there are a couple of different agency structures to choose from. Insurance agencies in West Wendover can either be independent (non-captive) or captive. Both properly insure your vehicles, but it’s worth learning the differences because it can influence your selection of an agent.
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive agencies can only write with one company and examples are AAA, Allstate, State Farm, Farmers Insurance or Liberty Mutual. They are unable to place coverage with different providers so always compare other rates. They are very knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques and that can be a competitive advantage.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agents are not locked into one company so they can insure your vehicles with lots of companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If you are not satisfied with one company, they simply move the coverage in-house and you won’t have to switch agencies.
When comparing rates, you should always include at least one independent agent for maximum quote selection.
The following is a short list of independent agents in West Wendover who can help you get rate quotes.
Supp’s Insurance – 1920 Plateau Way # 8 – West Wendover, NV 89883 – (775) 664-2235
For a full directory of insurance agents in West Wendover, please go to this site.
Upon getting satisfactory answers to any questions you have and a low price estimate, it’s possible that you found an insurance agent that is a good match to adequately provide car insurance.
Drivers who switch save $475 a year? Really?
Consumers in Nevada can’t ignore all the ads for car insurance savings from the likes of Allstate and Progressive. They all seem to have a common claim about savings after switching your coverage to them.
But how can every company claim to save you money?
All the different companies are able to cherry pick for the type of customer that earns them a profit. For example, a profitable customer could possibly be between 30 and 50, a clean driving record, and chooses high deductibles. Any new insured who meets those qualifications will get very good rates and most likely will save when they switch companies.
Drivers who don’t meet these standards must pay higher rates which usually ends up with business not being written. The ad wording is “drivers who switch” not “everybody who quotes” save money. That’s the way insurance companies can confidently advertise the savings. This illustrates why it’s extremely important to get as many quotes as possible. Because you never know which company will provide you with the cheapest rates.
Insurance agents can help
When it comes to buying adequate coverage for your vehicles, there really is no one size fits all plan. Everyone’s situation is unique so this has to be addressed. These are some specific questions could help you determine if you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- Will my vehicle be repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- Should I buy more coverage than the required Nevada minimum liability coverage?
- Am I covered when using my vehicle for business?
- What are Nevada no-fault laws?
- Am I covered when pulling a rental trailer?
- Will I lose any money if I cancel my policy before it expires?
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
If you can’t answer these questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It only takes a few minutes and you can get the answers you need.
To find out more about Nevada car insurance
Even more information is available at the Nevada Division of Insurance website. Nevada consumers can read industry bulletins, report car insurance fraud, and view agent and company licensing information.
These articles may also be worth reading.
Do the work, save more money
As you prepare to switch companies, you should never buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In too many instances, someone dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits and discovered at claim time that the savings was not a smart move. The proper strategy is to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.
We just showed you a lot of techniques to compare car insurance prices online. It’s most important to understand that the more providers you compare, the better likelihood of reducing your rate. You may even discover the biggest savings come from some of the lesser-known companies. These smaller insurers may have significantly lower rates on certain market segments than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm and Allstate.