Nobody I know looks forward to paying for auto insurance, especially knowing they are paying too much.
Many auto insurance companies vie for your insurance dollar, so it’s not easy to compare every insurance company and get the definite lowest rate possible.
Consumers need to compare prices before your policy renews because insurance rates go up and down regularly. Despite the fact that you may have had the lowest price a couple years back a different company probably has better rates today. You can find a lot of wrong information about auto insurance on the internet, so by reading this article, you’re going to learn some guaranteed methods to put money back in your pocket.
How insurance companies determine rates
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that go into determining the price you pay for auto insurance. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates helps enable you to make changes that can help you get lower auto insurance prices.
- Multiple policies with one company can save – Most auto insurance companies provide better rates to insureds who buy several policies from them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount, you may still want to compare other company rates to make sure you are getting the best deal.
- Small claims can cost you – Car insurance companies in Ohio provide discounts to policyholders who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you file claims often, you can expect either higher rates or even cancellation. Auto insurance is designed for the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- No coverage gaps is important – Not having insurance is against the law and auto insurance companies will penalize you for letting your coverage lapse. And not only will insurance be more expensive, getting caught without coverage can result in a steep fine or even jail time.You may need to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Ohio department of motor vehicles.
- Discounts for married couples – Having a wife or husband helps lower the price when buying auto insurance. Marriage usually means you are more mature and responsible and it’s proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Performance level impacts rates – The performance of the car you drive makes a substantial difference in the rate you pay. Low performance passenger vehicles receive the most favorable rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- Your location affects your rates – Being located in small towns and rural areas has it’s advantages when talking about auto insurance. Lower population means fewer accidents and also fewer theft and vandalism claims. Drivers who live in large Ohio cities have congested traffic and longer commute times. More time commuting means higher likelihood of an accident.
Save big with these discounts
Car insurance is not cheap, buy you may qualify for discounts to help offset the cost. Most are applied at the time of quoting, but less common discounts must be asked for before you get the savings.
- Multiple Cars – Insuring all your vehicles with the same company qualifies for this discount.
- One Accident Forgiven – A handful of insurance companies will forgive one accident before raising your premiums so long as you haven’t had any claims for a set time period.
- Anti-theft System – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems prevent vehicle theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Homeowners Discount – Being a homeowner may trigger a auto insurance policy discount because of the fact that having a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Payment Discounts – If you pay your bill all at once instead of making monthly payments you may reduce your total bill.
- Defensive Driver – Taking part in a course in driver safety can save you 5% or more if your company offers it.
Consumers should know that most discounts do not apply the the whole policy. Most only apply to individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So even though they make it sound like adding up those discounts means a free policy, it just doesn’t work that way. Any qualifying discounts will cut your premiums.
For a list of insurance companies with the best auto insurance discounts in Lorain, click here to view.
Can’t I compare rates from local Lorain agents?
Certain consumers just want to get advice from a local agent. The best thing about price shopping on the web is you can get the best rates but also keep your business local. And supporting local insurance agencies is definitely important in Lorain.
By using this quick form, your insurance data gets sent to agents in your area who will battle for your business. You don’t have to even leave your home as quotes are delivered to your email. How’s that for easy! You’ll get the best rates AND a local agent.
To view licensed agents in Lorain, visit this site.
Choosing an provider shouldn’t rely on just a cheap price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Ommissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- What insurance companies do they work with?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
Once you have answers to your satisfaction to these questions and a good coverage price, you’ve probably found a company that meets your needs to insure your vehicles.
When should I talk to an agent?
When it comes to buying adequate coverage, there really is not a “best” method to buy coverage. Everyone’s needs are different so this has to be addressed. For instance, these questions can help discover if you might need professional guidance.
- Does my liability insurance cover pulling a trailer or camper?
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
- Should I buy more coverage than the required Ohio minimum liability coverage?
- Do I need special endorsements for business use of my vehicle?
- Am I covered when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- Can I rate high risk drivers on liability-only vehicles?
- Should I have combined single limit or split liability limits?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
If you’re not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area.
More information is available on the website for the Ohio Department of Insurance. Click here for link. Consumers can find disaster information, read state legal mandates and laws, and learn about insurance regulations.
These articles may also be worth reading.
One last thing about your coverage
The cheapest auto insurance is available from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Lorain agents, and you need to comparison shop both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance companies may not provide you the ability to get quotes online and these smaller companies work with independent agents.
As you shop your coverage around, it’s a bad idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are too many instances where someone dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to discover later that the savings was not a smart move. Your focus should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at an affordable rate while not skimping on critical coverages.