Using the web to shop for probably sounds like a formidable task if you’re new to rate quotes online. But don’t be overwhelmed because using the internet to shop for car insurance is actually quite easy.
It’s important to quote other rates quite often due to the fact that insurance prices change regularly. Just because you found the lowest rates on your last policy other companies may now be cheaper. Ignore everything you know about car insurance because we’re going to demonstrate the right way to eliminate unnecessary coverages and save money.
Drivers can save with these premium-slashing discounts
Buying car insurance is not cheap, but there’s a good chance there are discounts that may help make it more affordable. Some trigger automatically at the time of quoting, but some discounts are required to be inquired about before they will apply.
- Anti-theft System – Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices are stolen less frequently and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts – Buying insurance for multiple cars with the same car insurance company can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Safe Driver Discounts – Safe drivers can save as much as half off their rates than drivers with accidents.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If you pay your bill all at once rather than spreading payments over time you can actually save on your bill.
- Military Deployment Discount – Having a deployed family member could mean lower rates.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Car insurance companies who offer life insurance give a lower premium rate if you buy some life insurance too.
- Drive Less and Save – Low annual miles can qualify you for lower premium rates due to less chance of an accident.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Cars, trucks, and SUVs that have steering control and anti-lock brakes can avoid accidents so you can save 10 percent or more.
- One Accident Forgiven – but a few companies such as Allstate and Geico may permit one accident before they charge you more for coverage if you are claim-free prior to the accident.
- Good Grades Discount – A discount for being a good student may save you up to 25%. The discount lasts until age 25.
Consumers should know that most credits do not apply the the whole policy. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. So even though they make it sound like adding up those discounts means a free policy, nobody gets a free ride.
If you would like to see a list of car insurance companies that offer many of these discounts in Utah, click here.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px;" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-23.jpg" alt="Utah auto insurance“/>
Truth in car insurance advertising
Well-known car insurance companies like State Farm, Allstate and Geico regularly use ads in print and on television. They all make the same claim that you can save just by moving your policy. How does every company give you a lower rate? It’s all in how they say it.
Most companies require specific criteria for the type of insured that earns them the highest profit. For example, a profitable customer might be a female over age 40, owns a home, and has a short commute. Any person that hits that “sweet spot” will probably get the lowest prices and have a good chance to save when they switch companies.
Potential customers who cannot meet those standards will probably be forced to pay a more expensive rate which results in the customer not purchasing. Company advertisements say “customers who switch” not “everyone who quotes” save that much. That’s why companies can truthfully make it sound like they have such great premium rates. This really emphasizes why drivers should quote coverage with many companies. It’s not possible to predict which car insurance company will give you the biggest savings.
Learn more about car insurance in Utah
Additional detailed information is available at the Utah Insurance Department website. Consumers can read industry bulletins, find a variety of consumer forms, and discover disciplinary actions.
Best coverage at the best price
People who switch companies do it for many reasons like not issuing a premium refund, delays in responding to claim requests, extreme rates for teen drivers and even lack of trust in their agent. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding a new company can be less work than you think.
When you , you should never skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In many cases, someone sacrificed liability coverage limits only to regret that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your goal should be to buy enough coverage at the best cost, but do not skimp to save money.
Cheaper car insurance can be found online and from local agencies, so you need to with both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance providers may not provide rates over the internet and usually these small insurance companies prefer to sell through local independent agents.