Expensive car insurance can take a big chunk out of your bank account and put a big crunch on your finances. Comparison shopping is a great way to slash your bill and have more diposable income.
Because you have many insurance providers from which to choose, it is hard for the average consumer to locate the cheapest company.
You need to price shop coverage on a regular basis because rates tend to go up over time. Just because you had the best rates a year ago you can probably find a better price now. Forget all the misinformation about car insurance because I’m going to let you in on the secrets to one of the quickest ways to buy cheaper car insurance.
Cut your car insurance rates with discounts
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but you can get discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied at quote time, but less common discounts must be manually applied in order for you to get them.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Companies who offer life insurance give a break if you buy life insurance from them.
- Air Bag Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags may earn rate discounts of more than 20%.
- Organization Discounts – Belonging to certain professional organizations is a good way to get lower rates when shopping for car insurance.
- Sign Online – Some insurance companies may give you up to $50 for buying your policy online.
- Driver Safety – Completing a course teaching defensive driving skills could possibly earn you a 5% discount depending on where you live.
- Drivers Education – Cut your cost by having your teen driver successfully complete driver’s ed class if it’s offered in school.
It’s important to note that most credits do not apply to all coverage premiums. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. So even though it sounds like you can get free auto insurance, it doesn’t quite work that way. But any discount will bring down the cost of coverage.
You are unique and your car insurance should be too
When it comes to buying coverage, there really is no “perfect” insurance plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s so your insurance needs to address that. Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover whether your personal situation will benefit from professional help.
- Is my vehicle covered for smoke damage?
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in Rhode Island?
- Should I buy more coverage than the required Rhode Island minimum liability coverage?
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
- What are Rhode Island no-fault laws?
- Why am I required to get a high-risk car insurance policy?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Slick advertising tricks that work
Companies like 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm regularly use ads on TV and radio. All the ads make the same claim about savings if you move your policy. How does each company claim to save you money?
Different companies can use profiling for the right customer that earns them a profit. For instance, a desirable insured could possibly be a mature driver, has no tickets, and chooses high deductibles. A driver who matches those parameters will get the preferred rates and is almost guaranteed to save when they switch companies.
Potential customers who do not match these standards will have to pay a more expensive rate which leads to business going elsewhere. The ads say “people who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save money. This is how companies can truthfully claim big savings.
Because of the profiling, drivers should compare as many rates as you can. You cannot predict which company will fit your personal profile best.
Find out more about car insurance
Additional information can be read on the website for the Rhode Island Division of Insurance Regulation found here. Rhode Island consumers can find out which companies have the most complaints, file complaints about a company, find out industry alerts, and learn about insurance regulations.
The following articles may also be useful.
- Never Shop For Lincoln Nebraska Car Insurance Without Knowing These Money Saving Techniques
- Lincoln Nebraska Car Insurance Savings the Companies Dont Want You to Know About
More quotes mean more savings
In this article, we covered many tips how you can reduce car insurance prices online. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the better your comparison will be. You may even find the best price on car insurance is with some of the smallest insurance companies. Some small companies can often provide lower rates in certain areas compared to the large companies like State Farm or Progressive.
The cheapest car insurance can be sourced both online as well as from independent agents in Lincoln, so compare prices from both to get a complete price analysis. Some companies don’t offer the ability to get a quote online and many times these small insurance companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, it’s very important that you do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many situations where an accident victim reduced liability coverage limits only to find out that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your strategy should be to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.