Have you had enough of being strong-armed to buy car insurance? You are in the same boat as most other consumers in Wisconsin. There are many insurance companies to pick from, and although it’s a good thing to be able to choose, so many choices can make it hard to adequately compare rates.
It’s important to take a look at other company’s rates before your next renewal because rates change regularly. Just because you found the lowest premium rates last year the chances are good that you can find a lower price today. Block out anything you think you know about car insurance because you’re going to get a crash course in the fastest way to reduce your cost while increasing coverage.
Eight decisions that affect insurance costs
When buying car insurance it’s important to understand the rating factors that help determine the level of your policy premiums. If you have a feel for what controls the rates you pay, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that may result in much lower annual insurance costs.
- Continuous coverage lowers car insurance rates – Driving without insurance coverage in place can get you a ticket and car insurance companies will penalize you for letting your coverage lapse. In addition to paying higher rates, the inability to provide proof of insurance could earn you a steep fine or even jail time. You may need to file a SR-22 with the Wisconsin motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
- Gender impacts costs – Over time, data shows that females take fewer risks when driving. Now that doesn’t mean men are worse drivers. Females and males cause fender benders in similar numbers, but the males get into accidents with more damage. Not only that, but men also get more serious tickets like DUI and reckless driving. Young males cause the most accidents so they pay the highest premiums.
- Your address can influence rates – Choosing to live in areas with lower population has definite advantages when talking about car insurance. Lower population corresponds to lower accident rates in addition to lower liability claims Residents of big cities have congested traffic and higher rates of accident claims. More time commuting means higher likelihood of an accident.
- Do you really need to file that policy claims? – If you are a frequent claim filer, you should expect either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Companies in Wisconsin provide most affordable rates to insureds who only file infrequent claims. Insurance coverage is intended to be relied upon for the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- Liability coverage safeguards assets – Your car insurance policy’s liability coverage will protect you if a court rules you are at fault for an accident. Liability provides for a legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. This coverage is relatively inexpensive when compared to the cost of physical damage coverage, so drivers should buy more than the minimum limits required by law.
- You might pay more if you are single – Getting married can actually save you money on your car insurance bill. Marriage translates into being more stable financially and it’s statistically proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Is your vehicle theft-ready? – Buying a car that has an advanced theft prevention system can save you a little every year. Anti-theft features such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar all hinder vehicle theft.
- Safer the car lower the rate – Vehicles with high crash test scores get lower rates. The safest vehicles result in less severe injuries and better occupant protection translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims which can mean better rates for you.
Most larger insurance companies provide coverage price quotes on the web. Comparing rates online is quite simple as all you need to do is type in your required coverages into a form. Upon sending the form, their quoting system automatically orders your driving and credit reports and gives you a price quote determined by many factors. This makes it simple to compare prices but the work required to visit each company’s website and repetitively type in the same information can be a bit repetitive. Unfortunately, it is important to compare as many rates as possible in order to find the best price possible.
The better way to compare rates
The smarter way to locate the lowest prices is to use a quote form to obtain quotes from several companies at one time. The form is fast, requires less work, and makes rate comparisons a lot less work. Immediately after submitting the form, it is rated and you can choose any one of the price quotes you receive.
If a lower price is quoted, it’s easy to complete the application and purchase the new policy. The entire process can be completed in less than 10 minutes and you’ll know if lower rates are available.
To get comparison pricing now, simply click here to open in new window and input your coverage information. If you have your current policy handy, we recommend that you enter coverages and limits identical to your current policy. This ensures you will have a fair comparison based on similar coverages.
Do drivers who switch really save $470 a year?
Popular car insurance providers such as Progressive, Geico, Allstate and State Farm consistently run ads on television and other media. They all seem to tend to make the same promise about saving some big amount if you change your policy. Is it even possible that every company can charge you less for auto insurance?
Car insurance companies quote their best rates for the type of insured that earns them the highest profit. One example of this type of risk profile may be over the age of 45, owns their home, and drives a lower-performance vehicle. Any driver that meets those criteria will get a cheap rate quote as well as save some money.
Drivers who do not match these stringent criteria may receive higher rates which usually ends up with the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The trick is to say “people that switch” but not “everyone who gets a quote” will save that much if they switch. This is how insurance companies can confidently state the savings.
Different companies use different criteria so drivers must do a rate comparison at every renewal. It is impossible to predict with any certainty which company will provide you with the cheapest rates.
Car insurance companies offer money-saving discounts
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but companies offer discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically when you get a quote, but a few must be inquired about in order for you to get them.
- Federal Government Employee – Employees or retirees of the government may qualify for a discount when you with select insurance companies.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Larger companies have a discount if you purchase auto and life insurance together.
- Discounts for Responsible Drivers – Drivers who don’t get into accidents can save up to 40% or more on their than their less cautious counterparts.
- Senior Citizen Rates – Mature drivers could receive a slight reduction on a .
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you can bundle your home and auto insurance with the same insurance company you may save as much as 10 to 15 percent.
A little disclaimer on discounts, most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it just doesn’t work that way.
To locate insurance companies who offer discounts in Baraboo, follow this link.
More information is available on the . Click here for link. Wisconsin drivers can report car insurance fraud, file complaints about a company, and view a list of available companies.
Summing up your car insurance search
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, you should never skimp on coverage in order to save money. In many instances, someone sacrificed full coverage and found out when filing a claim that it was a big error on their part. Your goal is to find the BEST coverage for the lowest price, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
We just presented some good ideas how to shop for car insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the better likelihood of getting . Drivers may discover the lowest prices come from a lesser-known regional company. These smaller insurers can often provide lower rates in certain areas compared to the large companies like State Farm or Progressive.
Budget-friendly car insurance is available both online and also from your neighborhood Baraboo agents, and you should be comparing both to get a complete price analysis. There are still a few companies who do not provide online price quotes and most of the time these regional carriers sell through local independent agents.