If online auto insurance comparisons are new to you, it’s easy to be confused because of the huge number of companies vying for business in Cleveland.
Consumers should take time to check auto insurance prices occasionally because insurance rates are constantly changing. Just because you had the best rates a couple years back you will most likely find a better rate today. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about auto insurance because I’m going to let you in on the secrets to how to quote online to find the best coverage while lowering your premiums.
Save Money with These Tips
It’s important that you understand the rating factors that help determine auto insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively controls the rates you pay allows you to make educated decisions that can help you get better auto insurance rates.
The following are a partial list of the pieces companies use to determine your rates.
- More performance means more cost – The type of car you are buying insurance for makes a huge difference in the rate you pay. Low performance passenger cars usually have the lowest rates, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
- Traffic violations increase rates – Drivers with clean records receive lower rates than bad drivers. Even one ticket may increase your cost twenty percent or more. Drivers who get serious violations like hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may be required to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with their state motor vehicle department in order to continue driving.
- Your credit rating is important – Having a bad credit score is a huge factor in determining what you pay for auto insurance. Consumers who have excellent credit tend to be less risk to insure than drivers with lower credit scores. If your credit score is low, you could be paying less to insure your by repairing your credit.
- Optional equipment can affect rates – Choosing a vehicle with anti-theft technology or alarm system can save you a little every year. Anti-theft devices such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar can thwart auto theft.
These discounts can slash auto insurance rates
Companies offering auto insurance don’t always list all available discounts very clearly, so we took the time to find some of the more common and the more hidden savings tricks you should be using.
- Use Seat Belts – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts can save up to 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Save with a New Car – Putting insurance coverage on a new car can be considerably cheaper because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes can avoid accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than less cautious drivers.
- Defensive Driving Course – Completing a course in driver safety could cut 5% off your bill if you qualify.
- Good Student – Performing well in school can save 20 to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you until age 25.
- Military Rewards – Having a deployed family member could mean lower rates.
Keep in mind that many deductions do not apply the the whole policy. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. So even though it sounds like you can get free auto insurance, it just doesn’t work that way.
More tips and info about auto insurance can be read at the Mississippi Insurance Department website. Visitors are able to get help finding coverage, view agent and company licensing information, read industry bulletins, and find out industry alerts.
The following information may also be useful.
- Easy Tips to Save Money on Cleveland Auto Insurance
- Consumers Guide to Finding a Cleveland Ohio Insurance Agent
What is YOUR best insurance company?
The cheapest auto insurance is definitely available both online as well as from independent agents in Cleveland, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. A few companies don’t offer online quoting and many times these small, regional companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
As you shop your coverage around, make sure you don’t buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There have been many cases where an accident victim reduced collision coverage to discover at claim time they didn’t have enough coverage. The aim is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best price, not the least amount of coverage.
We just covered a lot of tips how to get a better price on auto insurance. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers could even find that the best price on auto insurance is with a lesser-known regional company.