Nobody I know is fond of buying car insurance, especially when they are aware that they could get a better deal. Big-name insurance companies like Allstate, Progressive and GEICO all claim big savings with TV and radio ads and it can be hard to avoid their marketing magic and find the best price available.
Consumers should take time to compare premium rates periodically because insurance prices change frequently. Despite the fact that you may have had the lowest rates a couple years back you will most likely find a better rate quote today. Ignore everything you know about car insurance because we’re going to show you one of the quickest ways to reduce your cost while increasing coverage.
Get cheaper Midway car insurance with discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always advertise their entire list of discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so the following is a list of a few of the more common and also the more inconspicuous credits that may apply to you.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Taking a course that instructs on driving safety may get you a small discount and make you a better driver.
- Multiple Cars – Insuring several vehicles on one policy can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Good Driver Discount – Accident-free drivers can save up to 40% or more on their than less cautious drivers.
- Distant Student – who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from home and do not have a car may be insured at a cheaper rate.
- Accident Forgiveness – This isn’t a discount exactly, but some insurance companies permit an accident without the usual rate increase if you are claim-free for a specific time period.
- Air Bag Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts can get savings up to 30%.
- Federal Government Employee – Employees or retirees of the government may reduce rates when you with select insurance companies.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts – Vehicles that have steering control and anti-lock brakes can reduce accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
Don’t be surprised that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. So even though you would think you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you’re out of luck. Any qualifying discounts will lower the cost of coverage.
Popular car insurance companies and some of the discounts are outlined below.
- Progressive has savings for good student, continuous coverage, homeowner, online quote discount, and multi-vehicle.
- The Hartford offers premium reductions for air bag, anti-theft, vehicle fuel type, driver training, defensive driver, good student, and bundle.
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts including multi-car, type of vehicle, age of vehicle, annual mileage, professional/association, and multi-policy.
- GEICO may offer discounts for good student, air bags, federal employee, anti-lock brakes, and seat belt use.
- AAA policyholders can earn discounts including multi-car, AAA membership discount, good student, anti-theft, pay-in-full, multi-policy, and good driver.
- State Farm has discounts for good student, passive restraint, multiple autos, driver’s education, defensive driving training, and multiple policy.
Before you buy a policy, ask all the companies which discounts can lower your rates. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not apply to policies everywhere. For a list of insurance companies with the best discounts in Utah, follow this link.
Quote lower-cost car insurance with these tips
Multiple criteria are used when you get your auto insurance bill. Some are obvious like an MVR report, although some other factors are more transparent such as whether you are married or your commute time. Part of the car insurance buying process is learning some of the factors that help calculate the level of your policy premiums. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates, this helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to lower rates.
The itemized list below are some of the items used by your company to calculate your rates.
- Location can impact price – Choosing to live in less populated areas of the country may provide you with better prices when trying to find low car insurance rates. Less people corresponds to lower accident rates. Drivers who live in large Utah cities have more aggressive driving styles and more severe claims. Higher commute times means a statistically higher chance of an accident.
- Companies want multiple policies – Most car insurance companies will award discounts to insureds that purchase more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Even with this discount, you may still want to comparison shop to make sure you are getting the best deal.There is a good possibility that you can save more without the discount even if you insure with multiple companies
- Pleasure use saves money – Driving a lot of miles in a year’s time the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. A lot of insurance companies price each vehicle’s coverage based upon how much you drive. Cars that sit idle most of the time can get a lower rate than cars that get driven a lot. Ask your agent if your car insurance coverage is rated on the proper vehicle usage.
- Age of drivers – Teen drivers in Utah have been known to get distracted easily when driving therefore car insurance rates are much higher. Older insureds are viewed as being more responsible, tend to cause fewer accidents and receive fewer citations.
- Being married can lower prices – Your spouse helps lower the price on your policy. Marriage generally demonstrates drivers are more stable financially and insurance companies like that drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
Tailor your car insurance coverage to you
When it comes to choosing adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a single plan that fits everyone. Everyone’s situation is a little different so your insurance needs to address that. For example, these questions may help you determine whether your personal situation would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Does liability extend to a camper or trailer?
- Can I pay claims out-of-pocket if I buy high deductibles?
- Is my vehicle covered for flood damage?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
If you can’t answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
More sites with car insurance information
Additional information can be found on the . Click here for link. Utah drivers can learn about insurance regulations, discover disciplinary actions, and report car insurance fraud.
One last thing to lower rates
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of ways to reduce car insurance premium rates online. The key thing to remember is the more rate quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even find the biggest savings come from a lesser-known regional company. Some small companies may only write in your state and offer lower prices compared to the large companies like Progressive or GEICO.
Lower-priced car insurance is attainable from both online companies in addition to local insurance agencies, so you need to with both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance companies may not provide price quotes online and many times these small, regional companies sell through local independent agents.