Are you sick and tired of robbing Peter to pay Paul to insure your vehicles every month? You’re in the same situation as many other Utah drivers. Many insurers compete for your insurance dollar, and because of this it can be hard to compare car insurance companies and get the best coverage at the lowest price
It’s smart to check car insurance prices yearly due to the fact that insurance rates go up and down regularly. Just because you had the best price a couple years back you may be paying too much now. Ignore everything you know about car insurance because we’re going to demonstrate the easiest way to find great coverage at a great price.
Discounts are available to cut your rates
Companies that sell car insurance don’t necessarily list all available discounts very clearly, so we researched both the well known as well as the least known ways to save on car insurance. If you’re not getting every credit you deserve, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Multiple Policy Discount – When you have multiple policies with one company you could get a discount of at least 10% off all policies.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Vehicles with anti-theft systems can help prevent theft and will save you 10% or more.
- Multiple Vehicles – Buying insurance for multiple vehicles on one policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Homeowners Pay Less – Owning a home in Lehi can save you money because maintaining a house demonstrates responsibility.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Companies who offer life insurance give better rates if you take out life insurance from them.
- Organization Discounts – Being a member of certain professional organizations may earn a discount on car insurance.
- No Claims – Claim-free drivers can save substantially when compared to frequent claim filers.
- Drivers Education – Have your child complete a driver education course in high school.
- Paperless Signup – Some insurance companies will give a small break just for signing your application over the internet.
It’s important to understand that many deductions do not apply to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. Even though it may seem like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, car insurance companies aren’t that generous.
To see a list of insurers with discount car insurance rates in Utah, click this link.
Finding Car Insurance in Lehi
There are a variety of methods you can shop for car insurance but one way is more efficient than others. You could waste a few hours discussing policy coverages with local insurance agents in Lehi, or you could use online quoting for quick rates.
Most of the larger companies enroll in a system where insurance shoppers only type in their quote data once, and each company returns a competitive quote determined by their information. This eliminates the need for quotation requests to each company.
To submit your quote information now, click here to start a free quote.
The one disadvantage to comparing rates this way is you don’t know exactly which carriers you will receive quotes from. If you prefer to choose from a list of companies to compare, we have assembled a list of companies who write car insurance in Utah. View list of Utah insurance companies.
It doesn’t matter which method you choose, just ensure you’re using the exact same quote information with every price quote. If you have differing limits you can’t possibly make a fair comparison in Lehi.
Learn How to Lower your Rates
It’s important that you understand the different types of things that help determine the price you pay for car insurance. Understanding what determines base rates helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to lower car insurance prices.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-90.jpg" alt="Lehi car insurance prices” />
The following are a partial list of the pieces that factor into prices.
- Bad driving skills means higher rates – Your driving citation history has a lot to do with how much you pay for insurance. Just one citation can bump up the cost by as much as thirty percent. Drivers who don’t get tickets have lower premiums than bad drivers. Drivers who have serious citations like DUI or reckless driving may need to submit a SR-22 form with their state DMV in order to continue driving.
- Do you qualify for a multi-policy discount? – Most car insurance companies will give a discount to insureds who have multiple policies with them in the form of a multi-policy discount. If you currently are using one company, it’s in your best interest to compare rates to verify if the discount is saving money.
- Where you live is a factor – Being located in a small town is a positive aspect when buying car insurance. Lower population translates into fewer accidents and also fewer theft and vandalism claims. Drivers who live in large Utah cities tend to have more traffic problems and longer commutes to work. Longer commute distances translates into higher accident risk.
- Allowing your policy to lapse raises rates – Having an insurance coverage lapse will be a fast way to bump up your car insurance costs. And not only will your rates increase, but not being able to provide proof of insurance may earn you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.
- Younger drivers pay higher rates – Mature drivers are viewed as being more responsible, file fewer claims and tend to be better behind the wheel. Teen drivers tend to be more careless in a vehicle therefore car insurance rates are much higher.
- Do you have a high stress job? – Occupations like lawyers, business owners and dentists are shown to have the highest average rates due to high stress and long work days. Other occupations such as actors, historians and retirees pay the least.
Tailor your coverage to you
When choosing coverage for your vehicles, there is no “best” method to buy coverage. Every situation is different and your policy should reflect that. These are some specific questions can help discover if your situation might need an agent’s assistance.
- Is my teen driver covered when they drive my company car?
- Will my rates increase for filing one claim?
- Does medical payments coverage apply to all occupants?
- Am I covered when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- What if I total my vehicle and owe more than it’s worth?
- Do I have coverage when pulling a U-Haul trailer?
- How can I get high-risk coverage after a DUI?
- Should I put collision coverage on all my vehicles?
If you can’t answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It is quick, free and may give you better protection.
Price shop online but buy from a local Lehi agent
Some consumers would rather buy from a local agent and that is OK! Good agents can point out coverage gaps and help file insurance claims. The biggest benefit of getting online price quotes is you can get better rates and still choose a local agent.
Upon completion of this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is emailed to local insurance agents in Lehi who will compete for your insurance coverage. You don’t have to leave your house since price quotes are sent to your email. How’s that for easy!
Picking a company requires more thought than just a low price. Any agent should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- How are they compensated?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
Compare rates from both independent and captive insurance agencies
When finding a good insurance agency, you need to know there are two different types of agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agencies in Lehi can either be captive or independent (non-captive). Both write coverage properly, but it’s worth learning how they differ because it can influence your agent selection.
Captive insurance agents write business for a single company like Liberty Mutual, State Farm, Allstate and AAA. These agents are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so they have no alternatives for high prices. Captive agencies are well schooled on their products and sales techniques which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Below is a short list of captive agencies in Lehi who can help you get rate quotes.
Allstate Insurance – 216 E Main St # 3 – Lehi, UT 84043 – (801) 768-8853
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agencies are not locked into one company but rather can write business with multiple insurance companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If your agent finds better pricing, the agent simply finds a different carrier without you having to go to a different agency.
When comparison shopping, we recommend you include price quotes from multiple independent agents to ensure the widest selection of prices.
Below is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Lehi willing to provide comparison quotes.
Ben Torgerson Agency – 1302 Redwood Rd – Lehi, UT 84043 – (801) 768-3619
Greater Salt Lake Agency – 2839 N 675 E – Lehi, UT 84043 – (801) 768-8696
Sorensen Insurance – 441 W Main St # A – Lehi, UT 84043 – (801) 766-5990
Darron Miller Insurance Inc – 785 E 200 S – Lehi, UT 84043 – (801) 766-1224
Nelson Serg Agency – 887 N 100 E – Lehi, UT 84043 – (801) 766-6535
For a full directory of insurance agents in Lehi, visit this site.
Upon receiving reasonable responses for all questions you ask and locked in a price quote, you have narrowed it down to an auto insurance agent that meets your needs to adequately provide car insurance.
Quote more, save more
When shopping online for car insurance, it’s very important that you do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. In many instances, drivers have reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your aim should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at an affordable rate.
In this article, we presented a lot of tips how to compare car insurance prices online. The key concept to understand is the more companies you get rates for, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even discover the biggest savings come from some of the smallest insurance companies. These companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate and Progressive.
To learn more about car insurance in Utah
More tips and info about car insurance is available at the Utah Insurance Department website. Consumers can find out which companies have the most complaints, view a list of available companies, learn about specific coverages, and file complaints about a company.