Baffled by the crazy number of auto insurance choices that you can choose from? Wisconsin people have so many choices available that it can easily become a real hassle to locate the lowest rates. Lots of people think Greenville is an awesome place to live, but inflated auto insurance prices can make it nearly impossible to maintain proper levels of coverage.
Consumers need to shop coverage around occasionally because auto insurance prices tend to go up over time. Even if you think you had the best deal a year ago there is a good chance you can find better rates now. Don’t believe everything you read about auto insurance out there, but in this article, you’re going to get some solid techniques on how to lower your auto insurance premiums.
Good decisions result in lower rates
When buying auto insurance it’s important to understand some of the factors that aid in calculating your policy premiums. When you understand what determines base rates, this enables you to make decisions that will entitle you to lower rates. Many things are taken into consideration when quoting car insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious like an MVR report, but other criteria are not as apparent like your vehicle usage or your vehicle rating.
The following are some of the major factors used by companies to determine your rate level.
- Save money by eliminating extra coverages – Insurance companies have many extra bells and whistles that sound like a good idea at the time on your auto insurance policy. Add-on coverages like personal injury protection, accident forgiveness, and motor club memberships may not be needed and are just wasting money. These may sound like a good investment when you first buy your policy, but if you don’t need them get rid of them and save.
- A auto insurance policy lapse can increase auto insurance rates – Going without insurance is a guaranteed way to drive up your policy premiums. Not only will rates go up, getting caught without coverage could result in a steep fine or even jail time. You may need to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Wisconsin motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
- Is you employer costing you more? – Do you have a high-stress occupation? Occupations such as military personnelair traffic controllers and accountants usually pay higher rates than the rest of us due to high stress and lengthy work days. Conversely, professions such as actors, historians and performers get better rates.
- Your credit history is important – Credit history can be an important factor in determining premium rates. So if your credit score is not that good, you could potentially save money when insuring your vehicle by improving your rating. Drivers who have excellent credit scores tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims as compared to drivers with bad credit.
The are a couple different ways to obtain and compare prices from different companies. The easiest way to find affordable insurance rates is to perform an online rate comparison. This can be accomplished using a couple different methods.
- The most recommended method to compare a lot of rates at once is a comparison rater form click here to open form in new window. This method saves time by eliminating a different quote for every prospective company. A single form will return quotes from many national carriers.It’s the quickest way to get rates.
- A different way to shop for auto insurance online requires visiting each company website to complete their respective quote request forms. For examples sake, let’s assume you want comparison quotes from Auto-Owners, Liberty Mutual and State Farm. In order to compare rates, you need to navigate to each company’s site to input your insurance information, which can get rather old.
For a list of links to insurance companies in Greenville, click here.
- The least recommended way of getting rate comparisons is to drive around to each insurance agency near you. Shopping for auto insurance online makes this process obsolete unless you have a need for the guidance of a licensed agent. Drivers can comparison shop online and have a local agent actually service the policy.
You can use whichever method you prefer to find lower rates, just ensure you’re using identical quote data on every quote. If you enter mixed coverages you will not be able to determine which company has the best rates in Greenville. Quoting even small variations in coverage limits could mean much higher rates. And when comparing auto insurance rates, know that comparing more quotes will increase your chances of finding more affordable rates.
Auto insurance discounts are available to cut your rates
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always advertise their entire list of discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so the following list contains a few of the more common and also the lesser-known credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Senior Discount – Drivers over the age of 55 are able to get reduced rates.
- Good Students Pay Less – Getting good grades can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. This discount can apply until age 25.
- Passenger Safety Discount – Factory air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems could see savings of 20% or more.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Drivers who insure multiple cars or trucks with one company can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Clubs and Organizations – Affiliation with qualifying clubs or civic groups could trigger savings on auto insurance.
- Lower Rates for Military – Having a deployed family member could trigger a small discount.
- Payment Discounts – By paying your policy upfront instead of paying each month you could save 5% or more.
- Drive Less and Save – Driving fewer miles could qualify for cheaper auto insurancerates.
Keep in mind that most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. So when the math indicates adding up those discounts means a free policy, companies don’t profit that way.
If you would like to see a list of insurers that offer many of these discounts in Wisconsin, click here to view.
Independent versus captive insurance agencies
Many people would prefer to have an agent’s advice. An additional benefit of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that you can find cheap rate quotes but also keep your business local.
To find an agent, once you fill out this quick form, the coverage information is sent to insurance agents in Greenville who will give you quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You don’t have to search for an agent since rate quotes are delivered to you instantly. You can find lower rates and work with a local agent. If you have a need to get a price quote from a specific company, you would need to visit that company’s website to submit a rate quote request.
Choosing an insurer is decision based upon more than just a cheap price. Any agent should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- How many years of experience in personal auto insurance do they have?
- What kind of financial rating does the company have?
- Do you need full coverage on every vehicle?
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
- Are all drivers listed on the coverage quote?
Choose an insurance agent wisely
If you want to use a good insurance agency, you need to know there are two different agency structures to choose from. Auto insurance agents in Greenville are classified as either captive agents or independent agents.
Captive Auto Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be captive are contracted to one company like Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. Captive agents cannot provide other company’s prices so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Captive agents are usually well trained on their company’s products which can be an advantage. A lot of people buy insurance from these agents mostly because of high brand loyalty and strong financial ratings.
Independent Insurance Agents
These agents are not restriced to one company so they can write business with multiple insurance companies and find you cheaper rates. If prices rise, the business is moved internally without you having to go to a different agency. When comparing auto insurance prices, you definitely need to include rate quotes from a couple of independent agencies to have the best price comparison. Most also write with less well-known companies which can save you money.
Listed below is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Greenville willing to provide comparison quotes.
- Allen Insurance – N1726 Hyacinth Ln – Greenville, WI 54942 – (920) 757-5082
To view more insurance agents in Greenville, you can link to this list of Greenville auto insurance providers.
Everyone needs different auto insurance coverages
When buying the right insurance coverage, there is no “perfect” insurance plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s.
Here are some questions about coverages that could help you determine if you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Does my liability insurance cover pulling a trailer or camper?
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
- When would I need rental car insurance?
- Is business equipment covered while in my vehicle?
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- Are rental cars covered under my policy?
- Should I buy more coverage than the required Wisconsin minimum liability coverage?
- Is my cargo covered for damage or theft?
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in Wisconsin?
- What can I do if my company won’t pay a claim?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form.
More detailed Wisconsin auto insurance information is located at the Wisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance website. Wisconsin consumers can read state legal mandates and laws, read consumer alerts, and learn about insurance regulations.
The following information may also be useful.
One last thing to lower rates
In this article, we covered some good ideas how you can compare auto insurance rates online. It’s most important to understand that the more companies you get car insurance rates for, the better chance you’ll have of finding . You may be surprised to find that the best price on auto insurance is with an unexpected company.
As you restructure your insurance plan, it’s not a good idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. In too many instances, an insured cut physical damage coverage and found out when filing a claim that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your objective should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at a price you can afford, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
Drivers change insurance companies for a variety of reasons including policy non-renewal, poor customer service, not issuing a premium refund and even delays in paying claims. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch choosing a new insurance company can be less work than you think.