Tired of not being able to afford each month for car insurance? You’re in the same situation as the majority of other car owners in Indiana. Many insurance companies vie for your hard-earned dollar, so it can be very hard to choose a provider to find the lowest price
If you have a current auto insurance policy or are just looking to switch companies, you can use these techniques to reduce the price you pay while maintaining coverages. Finding affordable coverage in Gary is not rocket science. Indiana vehicle owners just need to know the tricks to compare company rates online.
Discounts are great for lower rates
Companies that sell car insurance don’t list every available discount in an easy-to-find place, so here is a list both the well known and the more hidden ways to save on auto insurance. If they aren’t giving you every credit you qualify for, you’re paying more than you need to.
- No Accidents – Claim-free drivers pay much less when compared to accident-prone drivers.
- Passive Restraints – Vehicles equipped with air bags can receive discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Good Students Pay Less – Getting good grades can save 20 to 25%. This discount can apply up until you turn 25.
- Life Insurance Discount – Companies who offer life insurance give lower rates if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Use Seat Belts – Drivers who require all occupants to buckle their seat belts could cut 10% or more off the personal injury premium cost.
- Homeowners Savings – Owning a house in Gary can help you save on auto insurance because owning a home requires personal responsibility.
It’s important to understand that most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. Even though it may seem like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it just doesn’t work that way.
For a list of insurance companies with the best auto insurance discounts in Indiana, follow this link.
Automobile Insurance Quotes in Gary
Finding a better price on auto insurance is surprisingly easy. All that’s required is to spend a little time to compare rate quotes online from several insurance companies. It is quite easy and can be accomplished using a couple different methods.
- The best way to get the best comparison quotes is a comparison rater form click to view form in new window. This type of form keeps you from doing boring form submissions for each company. One quote request gets you price quotes direct from many companies.
- Another way to compare prices consists of going to the website of each company to complete a price quote. For examples sake, we’ll assume you want to compare rates from GEICO, Esurance and Liberty Mutual. To get each rate you have to take the time to go to each site to enter your coverage information, which is why most consumers use the first method.
To view a list of companies in Gary, click here.
It’s up to you which method you use, but ensure you are comparing identical coverages on every quote you get. If you enter different deductibles it will be impossible to find the best deal in Gary.
How insurance companies determine rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that help determine the rates you pay for auto insurance. Having a good understanding of what determines base rates allows you to make educated decisions that could result in big savings.
The following are a few of the “ingredients” companies use to determine premiums.
- Car features impact rates – Choosing a vehicle with an alarm system can help lower your rates. Theft prevention features like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems can thwart your car from being stolen.
- Better credit means lower rates – A driver’s credit score is a big factor in your rate calculation. If your credit is lower than you’d like, you could potentially save money when insuring your by spending a little time repairing your credit. Drivers who have good credit tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than drivers with poor credit.
- Pay less after the wedding – Being married can get you a discount on auto insurance. Having a spouse translates into being more mature than a single person and statistics show married couples file fewer claims.
- Performance level impacts rates – The type of vehicle you are insuring makes a big difference in the rate you pay. Small economy passenger cars usually have the lowest rates, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
You may need specialized coverage
When it comes to choosing coverage, there isn’t really a “perfect” insurance plan. Each situation is unique so this has to be addressed. For instance, these questions might help in determining if your situation will benefit from professional help.
- When would I need rental car insurance?
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my vehicle is totaled?
- Do I need motorclub coverage?
- Why am I required to get a high-risk car insurance policy?
- Does my insurance cover damage caused when ticketed for reckless driving?
- Is a new car covered when I drive it off the dealer lot?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It only takes a few minutes and can provide invaluable advice.
Save $472 a year? Really?
Consumers in Indiana constantly see and hear ads for the lowest price auto insurance by companies like 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm. All the companies make an identical promise that you’ll save big if you change to them.
How can each company claim to save you money? This is how they do it.
Insurance companies are able to cherry pick for the right customer that is profitable for them. An example of a profitable customer might be a mature driver, a clean driving record, and drives newer vehicles. Any driver that hits that “sweet spot” receives the best rates and therefore will save a lot of money.
Potential insureds who do not match the requirements must pay higher prices and this can result in the customer not buying. Company advertisements say “drivers who switch” not “everyone that quotes” save money. That’s why insurance companies can confidently make those claims. This illustrates why drivers should quote coverage with many companies. It’s just too difficult to predict which company will provide you with the cheapest rates.
A little work can save a LOT of money
We just presented a lot of tips how to compare auto insurance prices online. It’s most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the better your comparison will be. Consumers could even find that the best price on auto insurance is with a smaller regional carrier. Smaller companies may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates than their larger competitors like Allstate or State Farm.
Cheaper auto insurance is attainable both online and also from your neighborhood Gary agents, so compare prices from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. A few companies may not provide you the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these regional insurance providers sell through independent agents.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, you should never buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many situations where an insured cut comprehensive coverage or liability limits and learned later that the savings was not a smart move. Your focus should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest price while not skimping on critical coverages.
Additional resources for Indiana consumers
More detailed Indiana auto insurance information can be found at the Indiana Department of Insurance website. Consumers can read industry bulletins, find disaster information, and find a variety of consumer forms.