Paying low cost coverage rates for Northbrook auto insurance is difficult for beginners to shopping for insurance online. There are so many choices that it can quickly become a ton of work to find more affordable coverage rates.
You need to shop coverage around as often as possible because prices are rarely the same from one policy term to another. Just because you found the lowest rate a couple years back you can probably find a lower rate today. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about auto insurance because we’re going to demonstrate the things you must know in order to find better coverage at a better price.
When looking for , there are a couple ways of comparing rates from different companies. The fastest way to find affordable insurance rates is simply to get online rate quotes. It’s really quite simple and can be done using a couple different methods.
The most efficient method to find the lowest comparison rates is an all-inclusive rate comparison click to view form in new window. This method eliminates the need for separate quotation requests for every auto insurance company. One quote request gets you price quotes instantly. Recommended for those who want to invest the least amount of time.
A more difficult way to find better pricing requires a trip to the website for each individual company and fill out their own quote form. For example, we’ll assume you want to compare prices for State Farm, GEICO and American Family. To get rate quotes you would need to go to every website to enter your coverage information, which is why most consumers use the first method.
For a list of links to companies insuring cars in Northbrook, click here.
Even if you have time, the least recommended method to compare price quotes is physically going to and from local Northbrook insurance agencies. The internet reduces the need to sit down with an agent unless you’re the type of person who wants the professional assistance that only an agent can give. It is possible with some companies comparison shop your insurance online but still have the advice of a local agent.
The method you choose is up to you, but do your best to enter identical information with every price quote. If the quotes have different coverage information it will be next to impossible to determine the lowest rate in Northbrook. Slightly different coverage limits can mean a large discrepancy in price. And when price shopping your coverage, comparing more company’s prices helps improve the odds of finding more affordable rates.
Be skeptical of auto insurance ads
Auto insurance companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Progressive seem to constantly run ads on TV and radio. All the ads advertise the message that you can save if you move your policy. How is it plausible that every one can claim to save you money? This is the trick they use.
Insurance companies quote their cheapest rates for the driver that earns them the highest profit. One example of a preferred risk might be described as a married male, has no tickets, and the vehicle is rated for pleasure use. A customer that meets those criteria receive the lowest rate quotes and is almost guaranteed to save if they switch.
Consumers who are not a match for the “perfect” profile may receive a higher rate and this can result in business not being written. The ad wording is “customers that switch” not “everyone that quotes” save the amount stated. That’s the way insurance companies can claim big savings. Because each company has a different risk profile, you really should do a price quote comparison at every renewal. Because you never know which company will have the best rates.
Informed consumers can cut your costs
It’s important that you understand a few of the rating criteria that help determine the price you pay for auto insurance. If you have some idea of what determines premiums, this enables informed choices that can earn you better auto insurance rates.
- Accidents inflate costs – Careful drivers pay lower auto insurance prices compared to drivers with tickets. Having just one speeding ticket or other violation could increase your next policy renewal by twenty percent. People who have dangerous violations such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may find that they have to to file a SR-22 to the state department of motor vehicles in order to prevent their license from being revoked.
- Better rates on vehicles with better crash test results – Safer cars can get you lower premiums. Safe vehicles protect occupants better and better occupant protection translates into savings for insurance companies which can result in lower premiums.
- Liability insurance safeguards assets – A critical coverage on your policy, liability insurance will protect you if you are found to be at fault for damages from an accident. Your liability coverage provides you with a defense in court up to the limits shown on your policy. This coverage is relatively inexpensive as compared to coverage for physical damage, so insureds should have plenty of protection for their assets.
- Bump up deductibles to lower rates – Protection for physical damage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, is used to repair damage to your car. Examples of covered claims would be colliding with a building, vandalism, and damage caused by flying debris. Physical damage deductibles tell how much you are willing to pay out-of-pocket if you file a covered claim. The more you pay before a claim is paid (deductible), the less your auto insurance will be.
- Gals tend to be lower risk – Over time, data shows women tend to be less risk to insure than men. However, don’t assume that females are better at driving than males. Both genders cause accidents at about the same rate, but the men have accidents that have higher claims. Not only are claims higher, but men get ticketed for serious violations like driving under the influence (DUI). Males from age 16 to 21 are most likely to cause an accident and thus pay the highest rates.
- Higher prices for specific employers – Did you know that where you work can have an impact on rates? Jobs such as lawyersairline pilots and financial analysts are shown to have higher rates than the rest of us attributed to intense work situations and extremely grueling work hours. On the other hand, careers like farmers, athletes and homemakers get better rates.
- Fewer miles means better prices – The higher the mileage driven each year the more you’ll pay to insure it. The majority of insurers charge rates based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Vehicles that are left in the garage receive lower rates compared to those used for work or business. Double check that your policy is showing annual mileage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
More affordable rates by taking advantage of discounts
Car insurance can cost a lot, but you can get discounts that could drop your premiums quite a bit. A few discounts will automatically apply at the time of quoting, but lesser-known reductions have to be inquired about before you will receive the discount.
- E-sign – Some auto insurance companies will give a small break for signing up online.
- Good Students Pay Less – Performing well in school can save 20 to 25%. The discount lasts until age 25.
- Membership in Organizations – Joining a civic or occupational organization in Northbrook is a simple method to lower premiums on auto insurance.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Insurance companies who offer life insurance give a discounted rate on car insurance if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Senior Discount – Seniors may be able to get a small discount on rates.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Cars that have anti-lock braking systems are much safer to drive and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Multiple Vehicles – Insuring more than one vehicle with one company can get a discount for every vehicle.
It’s important to understand that most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. So even though they make it sound like all those discounts means the company will pay you, nobody gets a free ride.
A partial list of companies that may have some of the discounts shown above include:
Before buying, ask all the companies the best way to save money. Some discounts listed above might not apply in your area. To view companies that offer the discounts shown above in Illinois, click this link.
Auto insurance can be complex
When it comes to buying the best auto insurance coverage, there really is not a “best” method to buy coverage. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
Here are some questions about coverages that can aid in determining whether your personal situation could use an agent’s help.
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
- Does liability extend to a camper or trailer?
- Should I buy more coverage than the required Illinois minimum liability coverage?
- Does my vehicle need full coverage?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- What can I do if my company won’t pay a claim?
- Am I covered by my spouse’s policy after a separation?
- Do I need medical payments coverage since I have good health insurance?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
Auto insurance is available from your local insurance agencies
Many people would prefer to sit down and talk to an agent. One of the great benefits of comparing insurance prices online is that drivers can save money and get lower prices and still buy from a local agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this quick form, your insurance data is transmitted to local insurance agents who can give free rate quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You won’t need to leave your house since price quotes are sent directly to your email. You can most likely find cheaper rates AND a local agent. If for some reason you want to get a price quote from one company in particular, don’t hesitate to navigate to their website and give them your coverage information.
Finding a good provider requires more thought than just a low price. Some important questions to ask are:
- Is there a local claims center in Northbrook?
- What is their Better Business Bureau rating?
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
The type of car insurance agent you choose is important
If you would like to find an insurance agent, there are a couple of types of insurance agents and how they operate. Agents in Northbrook can be described as either independent (non-captive) or captive.
Captive Insurance Agencies
Agents of this type can only write with one company like State Farm or Allstate. Captive agents are unable to compare other company’s rates so they have to upsell other benefits. Captive insurance agents are highly trained on what they offer and that allows them to sell at a higher price point. A lot of people purchase coverage from captives partially due to the prominent brand name rather than having the cheapest rates.
Below is a list of captive insurance agencies in Northbrook that can give you price quote information.
- Allstate Insurance – 3075 Sanders Rd – Northbrook, IL 60062 – (847) 326-6279
- American Family Insurance – 925 Morrison Ln – Northbrook, IL 60062 – (847) 559-1517
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
Independent insurance agents do not have single company limitations and that gives them the ability to insure through lots of different companies and get the cheapest rates. If you want to switch companies, they can switch companies in-house and you stay with the same agent.
When searching for an agent, you need to contact independent agents in order to compare the most rates. Many write coverage with additional companies that you may not be familiar with which may provide better rates.
The following is a short list of independent insurance agents in Northbrook that can give you rate quotes.
- David J Swartz Insurance – 450 Skokie Blvd – Northbrook, IL 60062 – (847) 498-9800
- Central States Insurance – 3175 Commercial Ave # 200 – Northbrook, IL 60062 – (847) 205-1777
- George F Munns Jr Agency – 3340 Dundee Rd # 2s2 – Northbrook, IL 60062 – (847) 272-8668
- Donald V Palmer Agency – 3602 Whirlaway Dr – Northbrook, IL 60062 – (847) 498-4020
- Daniel Finn Agency Inc – 2775 Sanders Rd # Be – Northbrook, IL 60062 – (847) 402-5199
To view more Northbrook insurance agents, you can link to this full listing of auto insurance agencies in Northbrook.
Don’t give up on cheaper rates
Insureds leave their current company for a variety of reasons including questionable increases in premium, poor customer service, unfair underwriting practices and even policy cancellation. It doesn’t matter what your reason, switching companies is easier than you think.
As you shop your coverage around, do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. Too many times, an insured cut comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your focus should be to find the BEST coverage at a price you can afford, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
Some insurance companies may not offer the ability to get quotes online and many times these small insurance companies only sell through local independent agents. Cheap auto insurance is available online as well as from independent agents in Northbrook, and you should be comparing both to have the best rate selection.
For more Illinois auto insurance information
Additional detailed information is available at the Illinois Department of Insurance website. Illinois drivers can learn about specific coverages, read consumer alerts, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, and find a variety of consumer forms.