Finding may seem to be difficult if you are one of the millions of people new to online price comparisons. Don’t let the process intimidate you because it’s actually quite easy.
It is always a good idea to get comparison quotes quite often due to the fact that insurance prices are constantly changing. Just because you found the lowest price a year ago there may be better deals available now. Block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because you’re going to learn the fastest way to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
Performing a rate comparison can be a daunting task if you aren’t aware of the best way to get rate quotes. You could waste time talking about coverages with insurance companies in Northfield, or you could use online quotes to get prices fast.
All the larger companies take part in a program where insurance shoppers only type in their quote data once, and each company provides a quote for coverage. This system prevents you from having to do quotation requests to each individual auto insurance company. To get comparison pricing now click here to start a free quote.
The one downside to pricing coverage this way is you can’t choose which insurance companies you will receive quotes from. If you prefer to choose specific providers to compare prices, we put together a list of companies who write auto insurance in Minnesota. Click to view list.
It’s your choice how you get your quotes, but ensure you’re using nearly identical coverages for each quote you get. If you are comparing unequal deductibles or liability limits it’s impossible to determine the best price in Northfield. Quoting even small variations in coverages can mean a large discrepancy in price. It’s important to know that having more price comparisons provides better odds of finding more affordable insurance. Some smaller insurers to not give online price quotes, so you need to compare prices from them as well.
Is there truth in advertising?
Companies like State Farm and Allstate regularly use ads on TV and radio. All the companies convey the message about saving some big amount just by moving your policy. It sounds good, but how can they all sell you cheaper insurance coverage? Here is how they do it.
Most companies have strict underwriting profiles for the type of driver that is profitable for them. For instance, a desirable risk should be a mature driver, owns their home, and drives newer vehicles. Any driver who meets those qualifications gets the lowest premium rates and most likely will save quite a bit of money when switching.
Potential customers who do not match these criteria will get higher premium rates and this can result in the customer buying from someone else. If you pay attention, the ads say “drivers that switch” but not “all drivers who get quotes” save that kind of money. This is how insurance companies can make the claims of big savings.
Because of the profiling, you need to compare often. It is impossible to predict which company will have the best car insurance rates.
Auto insurance rates and discounts
Some providers do not list every disount available in a way that’s easy to find, so the following list contains a few of the more common as well as some of the hidden credits available to bring down your rates. If you are not receiving all the discounts possible, you are not getting the best rate possible.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Factory options such as air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may qualify for discounts of up to 25% or more.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs that have anti-lock braking systems can reduce accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Early Renewal Discounts – A few larger companies offer discounts for buying a policy early. It could save around 10% when you .
- No Claim Discounts – Good drivers with no accidents get the best auto insurance rates as compared to accident-prone drivers.
- College Student – Older children who live away from home to go to college and won’t have access to an insured vehicle may be insured at a cheaper rate.
- Waiver for an Accident – Not a discount per se, but a few companies such as Allstate and Progressive will allow you to have one accident before your rates go up if you have no claims for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Northfield Homeowners Discount – Simply owning a home can save a few bucks because it demonstrates responsibility.
Don’t be shocked that many deductions do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most cut specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. If you do the math and it seems like you could get a free auto insurance policy, it doesn’t quite work that way. But any discount will cut the cost of coverage.
The best auto insurance companies and the discounts they provide can be found below.
- American Family policyholders can earn discounts including air bags, defensive driver, good student, early bird, mySafetyValet, and multi-vehicle.
- Nationwide may have discounts that include anti-theft, Farm Bureau membership, good student, easy pay, multi-policy, and accident-free.
- MetLife has savings for claim-free, good student, accident-free, good driver, defensive driver, and multi-policy.
- 21st Century has discounts for air bags, 55 and older, student driver, theft prevention, and anti-lock brakes.
- Farmers Insurance may offer discounts for distant student, multi-car, mature driver, early shopping, business and professional, and switch companies.
- Allstate discounts include premier discount, EZ pay plan discount, utility vehicle, safe driver, and senior citizen.
If you want , ask all companies you are considering to apply every possible discount. Savings might not be offered in Northfield. For a list of insurers with the best auto insurance discounts in Minnesota, click here.
Local neighborhood insurance agents
Some consumers would prefer to buy from a licensed agent and we recommend doing that The biggest benefit of comparing auto insurance online is the fact that drivers can get cheap rate quotes but still work with a licensed agent. Putting coverage with small agencies is important particularly in Northfield.
After completing this simple form, your information is immediately sent to agents in your area who want to provide quotes for your coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to contact any insurance agencies as quotes are delivered to your email. You can find the lowest rates AND an agent nearby. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote for a specific company, just visit that company’s website and complete a quote there.
If you are wanting to find a local insurance agency, it’s helpful to know the different types of agents and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Auto insurance policy providers can be categorized as either captive or independent (non-captive).
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agents are not required to write business for one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies with many different companies and find the cheapest rate. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they can switch companies in-house and you don’t have to do anything. When shopping rates, we recommend you get several quotes from a few independent agents to have the best price comparison. Many write coverage with companies that do not advertise much that may have much lower rates than larger companies.
Featured below is a partial list of independent insurance agencies in Northfield that can possibly get you free rate quotes.
- Faribo-Dakota Insurance – 305 Division St S – Northfield, MN 55057 – (507) 645-8210
- Rob Martin Agency – 202 7th St W – Northfield, MN 55057 – (507) 645-7579
- Heartman Insurance-Northfield – 1186 Highway 3 S – Northfield, MN 55057 – (507) 645-5693
Captive Insurance Agents
These agents can usually just insure with one company and some examples include Allstate, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. They generally cannot compare other company’s rates so it’s a take it or leave it situation. They are usually quite knowledgeable on their company’s products which helps them compete with independent agents. Drivers often use the same agent primarily because of the brand name rather than having the cheapest rates.
Below is a list of captive insurance agencies in Northfield who can help you get price quote information.
- American Family Insurance – 1064 Highway 3 S – Northfield, MN 55057 – (507) 663-7181
To help find agents near you, here is a directory of Northfield Minnesota insurance agencies.
Deciding on an auto insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. Any good agent should know the answers to these questions.
- When do they do policy reviews?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- How much training do they have in personal risk management?
- Where would glass claims be handled in Northfield?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- What discounts might you be missing?
When do I need an agent’s advice?
When it comes to choosing the right insurance coverage, there is no “perfect” insurance plan. Every insured’s situation is different.
For instance, these questions may help you determine whether you may require specific advice.
- Do I have coverage if my license is suspended?
- Who is covered when they drive my vehicle?
- Why does it cost so much to insure a teen driver in Northfield?
- What are the financial responsibility laws in Minnesota?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- Does my medical payments coverage pay my health insurance deductible?
- What are the best liability limits?
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
- Am I covered when driving in Canada or Mexico?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, complete this form.
Much more information about auto insurance in Minnesota can be read on the found here. Minnesota drivers can file complaints about a company, find out industry alerts, find disaster information, and view agent and company licensing information.
Other related articles:
- Never Shop For Northfield, VT Auto Insurance Without Knowing These Money Saving Techniques
- 10 Proven Ways to Lower Auto Insurance Rates in Northfield, VT
What is YOUR best insurance company?
We just showed you some good ideas how to reduce auto insurance premium rates online. It’s most important to understand that the more price quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even find the most savings is with some of the lesser-known companies.
Affordable auto insurance can be sourced online as well as from independent agents in Northfield, and you should compare price quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture. A few companies don’t offer online price quotes and most of the time these regional carriers provide coverage only through independent insurance agents.
When shopping online for auto insurance, don’t be tempted to buy less coverage just to save a little money. In too many instances, an accident victim reduced liability coverage limits to discover at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The ultimate goal is to get the best coverage possible at the best possible price, not the least amount of coverage.