Feel like you’re a prisoner to overpriced car insurance? Trust us, you are not the only one feeling buyer’s remorse. Vehicle owners have many insurance companies to buy insurance from, and though it is a good thing to have a choice, it can be more difficult to find a good deal.
Consumers need to do rate comparisons before your policy renews since prices tend to go up over time. Just because you had the best rate last year other companies may now be cheaper. Block out anything you think you know about car insurance because you’re going to get a crash course in the only way to reduce your cost while increasing coverage.
There are multiple methods to compare car insurance quotes, but there is one way that is less time-consuming than others. You can spend countless hours driving to insurance agencies in Plummer, or you could save time and use online quotes to get prices fast.
Most car insurance companies enroll in a system that allows shoppers to send in one quote, and at least one company can give them a price based on the submitted data. This system prevents you from having to do form submissions to each company.
To use this form to compare rates click to open in new window.
One minor caviat to comparing rates this way is that you can’t choose the companies you want to price. So if you prefer to choose specific providers to request quotes from, we have a page of the cheapest car insurance companies in Idaho. Click here to view list.
You can choose any of those ways to find more affodable coverage, but be sure you’re using identical quote data for every quote you compare. If you compare higher or lower deductibles you will not be able to determine which company has the best rates in Plummer.
Take advantage of every car insurance discount
Auto insurance companies do not list every disount available in an easy-to-find place, so the list below contains some of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits that you can use to lower your rates. If they aren’t giving you every credit you qualify for, you could be saving more on your car insurance.
- Payment Method – By paying your policy upfront rather than paying monthly you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Sign Online – Many car insurance companies give back up to $50 for signing up online.
- No Claims – Drivers with accident-free driving histories have much lower rates when compared to frequent claim filers.
- Senior Citizens – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may be able to get better car insurance rates.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs that have anti-lock braking systems can avoid accidents so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Low annual miles could earn better rates on cars that stay parked.
- Good Student Discount – Performing well in school could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. Many companies even apply the discount to college students well after school through age 25.
- Switch and Save Discount – Some insurance companies give discounts for buying a new policy before your current coverage expires. You can save around 10% with this discount.
- Responsible Drivers – Insureds who avoid accidents may receive a discount up to 45% as compared to drivers with claims.
- Multi-car Discount – Drivers who insure multiple cars with the same car insurance company could earn a price break for each car.
We need to note that many deductions do not apply the the whole policy. Most cut specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. So even though you would think you would end up receiving a 100% discount, nobody gets a free ride.
A few popular companies and the discounts they provide are outlined below.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for good driver, multiple policy, safe vehicle, accident-free, defensive driving training, passive restraint, and anti-theft.
- Nationwide may have discounts that include accident-free, anti-theft, business or organization, family plan, defensive driving, easy pay, and good student.
- Geico policyholders can earn discounts including air bags, driver training, five-year accident-free, seat belt use, anti-theft, defensive driver, and military active duty.
- AAA has savings for education and occupation, good student, good driver, multi-policy, and multi-car.
- 21st Century discounts include early bird, anti-lock brakes, student driver, teen driver, driver training, and homeowners.
- The Hartford offers discounts for vehicle fuel type, anti-theft, driver training, defensive driver, bundle, air bag, and good student.
Before you buy a policy, ask every insurance company how many discounts you can get. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not be available to policyholders in Plummer. To choose insurers offering car insurance discounts in Plummer, click here.
Smart consumers can cut their costs
Multiple criteria are used in the calculation when premium rates are determined. Most are fairly basic such as your driving record, although some other factors are not as apparent like your continuous coverage or how financially stable you are. <img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-41.jpg" alt="lower rates in Plummer” />
- Good credit means lower premiums – Having a bad credit score can be an important factor in determining your rates. If your credit score can use some improvement, you could save money insuring your vehicle by improving your rating. People that have excellent credit scores tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers who have poor credit scores.
- Gender matters – Statistics have proven women are more cautious behind the wheel. That doesn’t necessarily mean that males are worse at driving than females. They both tend to get into fender benders at a similar rate, but males cause more damage. Not only are claims higher, but men get ticketed for serious violations such as DWI and reckless driving. Male teenagers have the highest risk to insure and are penalized with high car insurance rates.
- Safety ratings are a factor – Cars with five star safety ratings tend to have lower insurance rates. Safe vehicles result in less severe injuries and better occupant protection translates into savings for insurance companies and lower rates for you.
- More stress means more cost – Do you work in a high-stress field? Occupations like real estate brokers, executives and dentists usually pay higher premium rates due to high stress levels and lots of time spent away from family. Conversely, careers like scientists, students and homemakers generally pay rates lower than average.
- Cheaper car insurance rates for prior coverage – Going without insurance is a fast way to increase your renewal premiums. And not only will insurance be more expensive, getting caught without coverage will get you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license. You could then be forced to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the Idaho motor vehicle department.
- Pay more by driving carelessly – Having a single moving violation could increase your next policy renewal by as much as thirty percent. Drivers with clean records have lower premiums as compared to careless drivers. Drivers who have received flagrant violations like DUI or willful reckless driving are required to file a SR-22 with their state motor vehicle department in order to keep their license.
Car insurance agents can give valuable advice
Many drivers prefer to talk to a local agent and that is a personal choice. Good agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help in the event of a claim. One of the best bonuses of getting online price quotes is that you can find cheap car insurance rates but still work with a licensed agent. Putting coverage with small agencies is important particularly in Plummer.
By using this short form, the quote information is transmitted to insurance agents in Plummer who want to provide quotes for your insurance coverage. You won’t need to find an agent on your own because prices are sent to the email address you provide. If you wish to quote rates from a specific car insurance provider, feel free to go to their quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Insurance agent types
If you prefer to buy car insurance from a reputable agency, it’s helpful to know the types of insurance agents to choose from. Car insurance policy providers are either independent (non-captive) or captive. Both types can sell car insurance policies, but it’s important to point out the difference in how they write coverage since it could factor into buying decisions.
Independent Car Insurance Agencies
Agents in the independent channel do not sell for just one brand so they can insure your vehicles amongst many companies depending on which coverage is best. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your agent can just switch to a different company and you don’t have to find a new agent. When comparing rate quotes, it’s recommended you include several independent agencies to have the best price comparison.
Listed below is a list of independent agents in Plummer who may provide competitive price quotes.
All New Insurance – 493 9th St – Plummer, ID 83851 – (208) 686-1505
Captive Insurance Agencies
These type of agents can only quote rates from one company like State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. Captive agencies are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Captive insurance agents are usually well trained on sales techniques and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
Choosing an car insurance agent requires you to look at more than just a cheap price. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- Does their agency support local causes in Plummer?
- Will a damage claim use OEM or aftermarket replacement parts?
Which is the best car insurance?
When choosing adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a perfect coverage plan. Everyone’s situation is unique and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply. For example, these questions might help in determining whether you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
- What is the difference between comprehensive and collision coverage?
- Am I covered when driving a rental car?
- Is a new car covered when I drive it off the dealer lot?
- Am I covered when pulling a rental trailer?
- Which companies will insure high-risk drivers?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area. It is quick, free and you can get the answers you need.
More information can be found on the found here. Idaho drivers can learn about specific coverages, find out which companies have the most complaints, and read industry bulletins.
But they said I’d save $479 a year!
Consumers get pounded daily by advertisements for the lowest price car insurance from companies such as Progressive, Allstate and Geico. All the companies have a common claim that you’ll save big if you move your coverage.
Is it even possible that every company can charge you less for auto insurance? Here is how they do it.
Different companies provide the lowest rates for the right customer they prefer to insure. One example of a driver they prefer might have to be between the ages of 30 and 45, has no tickets, and the vehicle is rated for pleasure use. A customer who meets those qualifications will get a cheap rate quote and will also save when they switch companies.
Potential customers who don’t qualify for those criteria will probably have to pay a more expensive rate which leads to the customer buying from a different company. If you listen closely, the ads state “people that switch” but not “everyone who gets a quote” can save as much as they claim. That is how companies can truthfully make those statements.
This really drives home the point why you absolutely need to get as many as possible. Because you cannot predict which car insurance company will have the lowest rates.
Smart shoppers get results
Budget-conscious car insurance is attainable both online as well as from independent agents in Plummer, so you need to with both so you have a total pricing picture. Some insurance companies don’t offer the ability to get a quote online and usually these smaller companies prefer to sell through independent insurance agencies.
While you’re price shopping online, do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In too many instances, someone dropped collision coverage only to regret that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. The goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest price but still have enough coverage for asset protection.