Are you overwhelmed by the crazy number of auto insurance options in Idaho Falls? Many other drivers are as well. Drivers have so many choices that it can quickly become a real challenge to compare prices.
You need to shop coverage around once or twice a year since insurance rates are constantly changing. Just because you had the lowest price a couple years back you will most likely find a better rate today. Starting right now, forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because it’s time to teach you how to quote online to save on auto insurance.
This article will let you in on the most effective way to quote insurance and some money-saving tips. If you currently have car insurance, you will most likely be able to lower your premiums substantially using these methods. Idaho vehicle owners just need to know how to compare rates online.
Lots of discounts mean lots of savings
Car insurance is not cheap, but you can get discounts that you may not even be aware of. Most are applied at the time you complete a quote, but lesser-known reductions have to be asked about prior to getting the savings. If you’re not getting every credit you qualify for, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Multiple Policy Discount – When you have multiple policies with the same company you may earn up to 20% off your total premium.
- Seat Belt Usage – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts could cut 10% or more off your medical payments premium.
- Good Student – A discount for being a good student can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. The discount lasts well after school through age 25.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being on active duty in the military could be rewarded with lower premiums.
- Resident Student – Kids in college who are attending college without a vehicle on campus can be insured at a reduced rate.
- One Accident Forgiven – Certain companies will forgive one accident before raising your premiums as long as you don’t have any claims for a certain period of time.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. So when it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way. Any qualifying discounts will bring down the cost of coverage.
Decisions you make can impact your rates
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that come into play when calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with big savings.
The list below includes some of the items companies use to determine rates.
- Consolidate policies to earn discounts – Most auto insurance companies will award you with lower prices to customers who buy several policies from them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you’re getting this discount it’s still a good idea to compare rates to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible. You may still be able to find better rates by insuring with multiple companies.
- Type of vehicle determines base rates – The performance of the car you drive makes a huge difference in the rate you pay. Lower performance four cylinder passenger vehicles usually have the lowest rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- How credit affects auto insurance rates – Credit score is a large factor in your rate calculation. If your credit history is lower than you’d like, you could be paying less to insure your by improving your rating. Drivers who have excellent credit tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than drivers who have poor credit.
- Rates may be lower depending on your job – Careers like real estate brokers, architects and accountants tend to pay higher rates than average because of high stress and long work days. On the flip side, occupations like scientists, athletes and retirees have the lowest average rates.
How do I know if I need professional advice?
When it comes to buying proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no one size fits all plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
For example, these questions might help in determining if your insurance needs might need an agent’s assistance.
- Should I rate my vehicle as pleasure use or commute?
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
- Where can I get insurance after a DUI in Idaho?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
- What happens if I owe more than my vehicle is worth?
- How many claims can I have before being cancelled?
If you can’t answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form. It’s fast, free and can help protect your family.
What if I want to buy from a local Idaho Falls agent?
Certain consumers prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that is just fine! Educated insurance agents can answer important questions and help in the event of a claim. One of the great benefits of comparing insurance prices online is that you can obtain the best rates and still choose a local agent. And supporting local insurance agencies is definitely important in Idaho Falls.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this short form, your coverage information is sent to local insurance agents in Idaho Falls who will give you bids for your business. You don’t have to leave your computer as quotes are delivered to the email address you provide. How’s that for easy!<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-58.jpg" alt="lower rates in Idaho” />
Car insurance agents in Idaho Falls come in two varieties
When looking for local Idaho Falls agents, you must know there are a couple types of agencies to choose from. Agents are classified as either captive or independent. While both can write coverage properly, but it’s worth mentioning the differences since it can impact buying decisions.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agents are not employed by any specific company so they have the ability to put coverage with many different companies depending on which coverage is best. If you are not satisfied with one company, the business is moved internally without you having to go to a different agency. When comparing rates, we recommend you contact at least one independent agent for the best price selection. Most have the option of insuring with lesser-known insurance companies which can save you money.
Shown below is a short list of independent insurance agents in Idaho Falls willing to provide price quotes.
- Harrigfeld Agency – 1650 S Woodruff Ave – Idaho Falls, ID 83404 – (208) 529-1503
- Renold Marcon Agency – 575 N Ridge Ave – Idaho Falls, ID 83402 – (208) 523-1850
- Wheeler Insurance – 147 2nd St # 2 – Idaho Falls, ID 83401 – (208) 356-0055
- Forde Johnson Insurance – 1900 S Yellowstone Hwy – Idaho Falls, ID 83402 – (208) 522-4190
Captive Insurance Agents
These agents can only write with one company and some examples include Allstate, AAA, Liberty Mutual and State Farm. Captives cannot give you multiple price quotes so they have no alternatives for high prices. They are usually quite knowledgeable in insurance sales and that can be a competitive advantage. Some people will only choose to use a captive agent partially due to high brand loyalty and solid financial strength.
The following is a list of captive insurance agencies in Idaho Falls that can give you price quote information.
- State Farm Insurance – 1830 W Broadway St – Idaho Falls, ID 83402 – (208) 524-0287
- American Family Insurance – 610 S Woodruff Ave – Idaho Falls, ID 83401 – (208) 557-0104
- Farmers Insurance Group – 1420 E 17th St # F – Idaho Falls, ID 83404 – (208) 524-5554
- Allstate Insurance – 2539 Channing Way # 100 – Idaho Falls, ID 83404 – (208) 522-6800
- Liberty Mutual Insurance – 563 S Woodruff Ave – Idaho Falls, ID 83401 – (208) 528-8023
- Farm Bureau Insurance – 1655 Hollipark Dr – Idaho Falls, ID 83401 – (208) 522-2652
To view a complete directory of captive agencies in Idaho Falls, view this link.
Choosing an insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. Any agent should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage?
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in Idaho?
After getting satisfactory answers to all your questions and a low price estimate, most likely you have located an insurance agency that meets your needs to adequately provide auto insurance.
Do drivers who switch really save?
Idaho drivers can’t ignore all the ads for car insurance savings from the likes of 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm. They all say the same thing about savings after switching your coverage to them.
How can each company say the same thing?
Insurance companies are able to cherry pick for the driver that makes them money. A good example of a preferred risk could possibly be over the age of 40, has no prior claims, and drives newer vehicles. A propective insured that hits that “sweet spot” is entitled to the best price and therefore will cut their rates substantially.
Potential insureds who don’t measure up to this ideal profile will have to pay a higher premium and ends up with the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ad wording is “people who switch” not “everybody who quotes” save money. That’s why insurance companies can claim big savings.
Because of the profiling, you need to get as many quotes as possible. It’s just too difficult to predict which company will fit your personal profile best.
Idaho auto insurance information
More information is located on the Idaho Department of Insurance website located here. Idaho consumers can discover disciplinary actions, learn about specific coverages, learn about insurance regulations, and find disaster information.
Summing up your auto insurance search
We just presented some good ideas how to compare auto insurance prices online. The most important thing to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. You may even discover the lowest priced auto insurance comes from a small mutual company.
Drivers change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as extreme rates for teen drivers, unfair underwriting practices, high prices and even policy cancellation. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch switching companies is not as hard as you think.
While you’re price shopping online, you should never buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many cases where someone dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your goal should be to get the best coverage possible at a price you can afford.