Tired of robbing Peter to pay Paul to buy car insurance? You are in the same boat as millions of other consumers. Companies like State Farm, GEICO and Farmers Insurance constantly bombard you with catchy ads and it is challenging if not impossible to not get sucked in by the cute commercials and find the best price available.
If you are insured now or are shopping for new coverage, you can use this information to get lower rates while maintaining coverages. Finding the best rates in South Jordan is easy if you know what you’re doing. Utah vehicle owners just need to understand the most effective way to find the lowest price over the internet.
Companies offer discounts so take them!
Auto insurance companies don’t always publicize every available discount very clearly, so the following is a list of both well-publicized as well as the least known savings tricks you should be using. If you’re not getting every credit possible, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Braking Control Discount – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control can avoid accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Seat Belts Save – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts could cut 10% or more off the personal injury premium cost.
- Driver’s Ed – Require your teen driver to take driver’s ed class in high school.
- Sign Online – Certain companies give back up to $50 for buying a policy and signing up digitally online.
- New Car Discount – Insuring a new car can be considerably cheaper because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
It’s important to understand that most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. Just because you may think you can get free auto insurance, you won’t be that lucky.
For a list of companies with the best auto insurance discounts in Utah, click this link.
How to Buy South Jordan Auto Insurance Online
Getting better auto insurance pricing is a fairly straight forward process. You just have to invest a few minutes comparing rates online with multiple companies. This can be accomplished in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
- The fastest way to find low rates is an all-inclusive rate comparison click here to open form in new window. This form prevents you from having to do separate quotes for each company. Just one form will get you price quotes .
- A slightly less efficient method to shop for auto insurance online requires a visit to the website for every company you want to comare and fill out their own quote form. For examples sake, let’s say you want to compare rates from USAA, State Farm and Travelers. To get each rate you have to spend time on each company’s site and enter your information, which is why most consumers use the first method.
For a list of links to insurance companies in South Jordan, click here.
It’s up to you which method you use, but ensure you’re using apples-to-apples coverage information on every quote you get. If you enter different deductibles then you won’t be able to make an equal comparison in South Jordan.
Why some people pay less for insurance in South Jordan
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the factors that come into play when calculating auto insurance rates. Understanding what determines base rates helps enable you to make changes that may reward you with lower auto insurance prices.
- Too many auto insurance claims drive up costs – If you frequently file small claims, you can look forward to higher rates. Auto insurance companies in Utah give better rates to policyholders who do not file claims often. Insurance coverage is intended for larger claims.
- Your job and insurance rates – Did you know your occupation can influence how much you pay for auto insurance? Jobs such as lawyers, social workers and financial analysts are shown to have higher average rates in part from job stress and long work days. Conversely, jobs such as farmers, engineers and homemakers pay the least.
- Younger drivers pay higher rates – Teen drivers in Utah are statistically proven to be careless and easily distracted when behind the wheel so auto insurance rates are higher. Older insureds are more cautious drivers, tend to file fewer claims and get fewer tickets.
- Tickets mean higher rates – Drivers who don’t get tickets have lower premiums than bad drivers. Even one moving violation can bump up the cost by as much as thirty percent. Drivers with serious tickets like DUI or reckless driving are required to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) to the state department of motor vehicles in order to continue driving.
- Big city or small town – Being located in a rural area can save you money when it comes to auto insurance. Fewer drivers translates into fewer accidents. Drivers who live in large Utah cities have to deal with traffic congestion and longer commute times. More time on the road means higher likelihood of an accident.
- Low deductibles can be expensive – Physical damage deductibles represent how much money you are willing to pay out-of-pocket if you file a covered claim. Physical damage insurance, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, protects your car from damage. Examples of covered claims would be colliding with a building, damage from fire, or theft. The more you’re willing to pay, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- Consolidate policies to earn discounts – The majority of auto insurance companies will give a discount to people who carry more than one policy in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even though this discount sounds good, you still need to shop around to verify if the discount is saving money.
- Performance influences rates – The type of car you are insuring makes a big difference in your rates. Low performance passenger cars generally receive the lowest base rates, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
Do I just need basic coverages?
When buying coverage for your vehicles, there isn’t really a “perfect” insurance plan. Everyone’s needs are different so your insurance should reflect that These are some specific questions could help you determine if your insurance needs might need professional guidance.
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my vehicle is totaled?
- Should I have combined single limit or split liability limits?
- Where can I get insurance after a DUI in Utah?
- Is my cargo covered for damage or theft?
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
- Does having multiple vehicles earn me a discount?
- Am I covered when pulling a rental trailer?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It only takes a few minutes and can provide invaluable advice.
Save $397 a year? Really?
Consumers can’t ignore all the ads for the lowest price auto insurance by companies like State Farm, Allstate and GEICO. They all seem to have a common claim of big savings if you switch to them.
But how can every company make the same claim? It’s all in the numbers.
Different companies have a certain “appetite” for the driver that is profitable for them. For example, a profitable customer could possibly be a mature driver, a clean driving record, and has excellent credit. A propective insured that hits that “sweet spot” will get very good rates and as a result will probably save when they switch companies.
Potential customers who fall outside the “perfect” profile will have to pay higher premiums and this can result in business not being written. The ad wording is “people who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save that kind of money. This is how insurance companies can confidently state the savings. Because of the profiling, you should get a wide range of price quotes. Because you never know the company that will fit your personal profile best.
Keep this in mind
We just presented many tips how you can shop for auto insurance online. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get rates for, the better your comparison will be. Drivers may discover the most savings is with a lesser-known regional company. They may cover specific market segments cheaper than their larger competitors like Allstate and Progressive.
While you’re price shopping online, never buy poor coverage just to save money. In too many instances, an accident victim reduced full coverage only to discover later that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your aim should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest price.
Find out more about auto insurance
More tips and info about auto insurance is located at the Utah Insurance Department website. Utah drivers can view a list of available companies, find out which companies have the most complaints, and find out industry alerts.