Are you overwhelmed by the sheer number of car insurance options in Lancaster? You’re not alone. Drivers have so many choices that it can turn into a real hassle to find better rates.
It’s a great practice to take a look at other company’s rates occasionally because insurance rates are constantly changing. Even if you got the lowest rates a few years ago other companies may now be cheaper. Starting right now, forget anything you know (or think you know) about car insurance because we’re going to show you the things you must know in order to find better rates and still maintain coverage.
Informed Drivers can Cut Their Rates
It’s important that you understand the rating factors that come into play when calculating the price you pay for car insurance. Having a good understanding of what determines base rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get better car insurance rates.
The list below includes a partial list of the pieces used by your company to calculate your rates.
- What are your deductibles? – Coverage for physical damage, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, protects your car from damage. Some instances where coverage would apply would be running into the backend of another car, vandalism, and rolling your vehicle. Your deductibles are the amount of money you are willing to pay if you file a covered claim. The more you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- Being married is a good thing – Being married can get you a discount on car insurance. Marriage usually means you are more mature and it’s proven that being married results in fewer claims.
- Safer cars cost less to insure – Vehicles with good safety scores can get you lower premiums. These vehicles have better occupant injury protection and fewer injuries translates into savings for insurance companies and thus lower rates.
- Your job and insurance rates – Jobs such as lawyers, social workers and financial analysts tend to have higher average rates attributed to high stress and long work hours. Conversely, occupations such as scientists, engineers and retirees receive lower rates.
- Are you male or female? – Statistics demonstrate women tend to be less risk to insure than men. That doesn’t necessarily mean that women are better drivers. They both have accidents at a similar rate, but the male of the species cause more damage. Men also tend to have more aggressive citations such as reckless driving. Young males are most likely to cause an accident and therefore are the most expensive to insure.
- High credit ratings translate to low rates – Credit score is a important factor in calculating your car insurance rates. Drivers who have excellent credit tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than drivers who have lower credit scores. Therefore, if your credit score is low, you could be paying less to insure your by repairing your credit.
How to Get Car Insurance in Lancaster, Ohio
Most companies such as Progressive, Allstate and GEICO give pricing on the web. Obtaining pricing is quite easy as you simply enter your required coverages into the quote form. Once you submit the form, their rating system automatically orders credit information and your driving record and quotes a price.
Online price quotes makes it a lot easier to compare rates but the time required to go to many different websites and type in the same information can get tiresome after awhile. But it’s absolutely necessary to get many rate quotes if you want to find the lowest possible prices on car insurance.
The easiest way to get multiple rate quotes utilizes a single form that gets prices from several companies at one time. It’s a real time-saver, requires less work, and makes rate comparisons much more enjoyable and efficient. After sending your information, it is quoted and you can choose any of the quotes that you receive. If you find a better price you can click and sign and purchase coverage. The entire process can be completed in a matter of minutes and you will know how your current rates stack up.
To find out how much you’re overpaying now, click here and complete the simple form. If you have a policy now, it’s recommended you type in coverages and limits exactly as they are listed on your policy. This helps ensure you will have a rate comparison for similar coverage.
You probably qualify for some discounts
Car insurance companies don’t list every available discount very well, so we break down some of the more common and also the lesser-known discounts you could be receiving.
- 55 and Retired – Older drivers can possibly qualify for reduced rates.
- Federal Employees – Simply working for the federal government may qualify you for a discount with a few car insurance companies.
- Theft Prevention System – Cars that have factory anti-theft systems can help prevent theft and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Distant Student – Any of your kids who attend school more than 100 miles from home without a vehicle on campus may qualify for this discount.
- Claim Free – Good drivers with no accidents can save substantially when compared with frequent claim filers.
Drivers should understand that some credits don’t apply to all coverage premiums. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So when the math indicates all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies don’t profit that way.
To see a list of providers with discount car insurance rates in Ohio, follow this link.
Additional detailed information is available at the Ohio Department of Insurance website. Visitors are able to find disaster information, read industry bulletins, and download brochures.
The following articles may also be useful.
Summing up your car insurance search
As you prepare to switch companies, you should never reduce coverage to reduce premium. There have been many situations where someone sacrificed physical damage coverage and learned later that it was a big error on their part. The proper strategy is to get the best coverage possible for the lowest price while not skimping on critical coverages.
You just read a lot of ways to reduce car insurance prices online. It’s most important to understand that the more rate comparisons you have, the better likelihood of reducing your rate. Consumers may even find the best price on car insurance is with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising.
People leave their current company for any number of reasons including denial of a claim, lack of trust in their agent, an unsatisfactory settlement offer or even poor customer service. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch finding the right car insurance provider is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.