If you’re new to shopping for auto insurance online, it’s easy to get overwhelmed by the hoards of online auto insurance companies and websites selling insurance in Minot.
If you have a policy now or need new coverage, you can use these tips to find the best rates while maximizing coverage. This information will tell you how to get online quotes. North Dakota consumers only need to know the tricks to compare price quotes online.
How to Get Cheap Auto Insurance in Minot
All the larger auto insurance companies like State Farm and Allstate allow you to get pricing on their websites. Getting online rates is pretty easy as you just type in your coverage preferences into a form. Behind the scenes, the company’s rating system requests your credit score and driving record and quotes a price based on many factors.
Online quotes helps simplify price comparisons, but the process of having to visit several different sites and type in the same information is monotonous and tiresome. But it is imperative to perform this step in order to get better prices.
The smarter way to lower your rates makes use of a single form to return rates from several different companies. It saves time, eliminates repetitive work, and makes online price comparison much more enjoyable. After your information is entered, it gets priced and you are able to buy any of the resulting price quotes.
If the quotes result in lower rates, you can simply submit the application and buy the new coverage. The entire process only takes a few minutes and you will find out if you’re overpaying now.
To save time and compare rates now, click here to open in a new tab and complete the simple form. If you have your current policy handy, we recommend that you enter coverages and limits just like they are on your policy. This helps ensure you will be getting comparison quotes based on similar coverages.
Be sure to get all your discounts
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but companies offer discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Most are applied at the time you complete a quote, but a few must be inquired about before they will apply. If you don’t get every credit you deserve, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Safe Drivers – Insureds without accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than less cautious drivers.
- Save with a New Car – Adding a new car to your policy is cheaper since new cars are generally safer.
- Own a Home – Being a homeowner can save you money because owning a home requires personal responsibility.
- Claim Free – Claim-free drivers pay much less when compared with drivers who are more careless.
- Drive Less and Save – Low mileage vehicles can earn a substantially lower rate.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts could save 15% off your PIP or medical payments premium.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you have multiple policies with one company you will save up to 20% off your total premium.
It’s important to note that some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. The majority will only reduce specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. Even though it may seem like all those discounts means the company will pay you, you won’t be that lucky. But any discount will reduce your overall premium however.
To choose insurers with discount auto insurance rates in Minot, click this link.
Neighborhood insurance agents
Some consumers prefer to buy from a local agent and that is a personal choice. Agents can help determine the best coverages and give you someone to call. One of the great benefits of getting online price quotes is you may find the best rates and still have an agent to talk to. Buying from local businesses is especially important in Minot.
Upon completion of this short form, the quote information gets sent to local insurance agents who will give you bids for your coverage. You never need to visit any agencies due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to your email address. How’s that for easy!
Two types of insurance agents
When researching an insurance agent, you must know there are a couple different types of agents from which to choose. Agents are classified as either captive or independent (non-captive). Both types can write coverage properly, but it’s worth learning how they are different because it can influence buying decisions.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent insurance agents do not work for one specific company but rather can write business with multiple insurance companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. To transfer your coverage to a different company, the business is moved internally without you having to go to a different agency.
When shopping rates, it’s a good idea to get quotes from multiple independent agents to ensure the widest selection of prices.Most can insure with lesser-known insurance companies which can save you money.
Listed below is a short list of independent insurance agents in Minot that may be able to provide competitive price quotes.
- Western Agency Group – 408 20th Ave SW # 101 – Minot, ND 58701 – (701) 852-5383
- Opland Insurance – 3215 4th St SW # 12 – Minot, ND 58701 – (701) 852-0113
- Western Agency – 408 20th Ave SW # 101 – Minot, ND 58701 – (701) 463-2253
- Dakota Fire Insurance Co – 716 9th St NW – Minot, ND 58703 – (701) 838-7605
Captive insurance agents write business for a single company like State Farm, Allstate and AAA. Captives cannot provide prices from multiple companies so always compare other rates. Captive agents are very knowledgeable on the products they sell and that can be a competitive advantage. Some consumers prefer to purchase coverage from captives primarily because of loyalty to the company and strong financial ratings.
Below are Minot captive insurance agencies willing to provide price quote information.
- State Farm Insurance – 103 14th Ave SW – Minot, ND 58701 – (701) 839-3436
- Farmers Insurance Group – 811 S Broadway – Minot, ND 58701 – (701) 852-4434
- American Family Insurance – 1809 S Broadway # X – Minot, ND 58701 – (701) 852-5940
- Allstate Insurance Co – 1317 S Broadway – Minot, ND 58701 – (701) 838-2100
To view a complete directory of Minot captive insurance agents, please go to this site.
Selecting a car insurance agent requires more thought than just the bottom line cost. Any agent should have no problem answering these questions:
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in North Dakota?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- If they are an independent agency, which companies do they recommend?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
Once you have received answers to your satisfaction to these questions and an affordable coverage quote, you have narrowed it down to an insurance agency that meets your needs to insure your vehicles.
You have some control over your rates
Consumers need to have an understanding of the factors that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for auto insurance. Understanding what controls the rates you pay helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to lower auto insurance prices.
Shown below are a few of the “ingredients” that factor into prices.
- Small claims can cost you – If you file claims often, you can expect either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Insurance companies in North Dakota award better rates to people who do not file claims often. Auto insurance is meant to be used in the event of the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- Sex matters – The statistics show women are more cautious behind the wheel. However, don’t assume that men are worse drivers. Men and women are in accidents in similar numbers, but men cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also get cited for more serious violations such as DWI and reckless driving.
- Safer cars cost less to insure – Cars with high safety ratings can get you lower premiums. The safest vehicles have better occupant injury protection and fewer injuries means less money paid by your insurance company and lower rates for you.
- Add-on coverages can add up – There are quite a few extra coverages that you can buy if you aren’t careful. Things like vanishing deductibles, towing coverage and motor club memberships may be costing you every month. These may sound like a good investment initially, but if you don’t need them remove them from your policy.
Don’t be fooled by advertising claims
Consumers in North Dakota constantly see and hear ads for cheaper car insurance from the likes of State Farm and Allstate. They all make the same claim of big savings if you switch your coverage to them.
How can each company claim to save you money? It’s all in the numbers.
All the different companies have a preferred profile for the type of driver that is profitable for them. A good example of a profitable customer might be profiled as between the ages of 40 and 55, owns a home, and has great credit. A customer who meets those qualifications gets the lowest rates and is almost guaranteed to save quite a bit of money when switching.
Consumers who don’t qualify for the “perfect” profile will be quoted higher premiums and this can result in the customer not buying. The ads state “customers that switch” not “people who quote” save that kind of money. That is how companies can make those claims.
This emphasizes why drivers must quote coverage with many companies. It’s impossible to know the company that will give you the biggest savings.
One last thing about your coverage
You just learned some good ideas how you can save on auto insurance. The key concept to understand is the more companies you get rates for, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. Drivers may discover the lowest premiums are with a small local company.
People who switch companies do it for any number of reasons including denial of a claim, an unsatisfactory settlement offer, questionable increases in premium and extreme rates for teen drivers. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding a new auto insurance company can be easier than you think.
As you shop your coverage around, make sure you don’t buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are too many instances where someone sacrificed uninsured motorist or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that they should have had better coverage. The aim is to find the BEST coverage at an affordable rate.
More North Dakota auto insurance resources
More information is located on the North Dakota Insurance Department website through this link. Consumers can find out which companies have the most complaints, discover disciplinary actions, and download brochures.