Tired of not being able to scrape enough together to insure your vehicles every month? You are in the same boat as the majority of other vehicle owners in Utah. Lots of insurance companies contend for your hard-earned dollar, so it’s not easy to compare every insurance company and uncover the absolute cheapest price
If you have car insurance now, you should be able to save some money using this strategy. Buying car insurance in Moab is quite easy. Nevertheless, Utah car owners must comprehend how big insurance companies price online insurance because it can help you find the best coverage.
Don’t overlook these car insurance discounts
Companies don’t necessarily list the entire discount list in a way that’s easy to find, so we break down some of the more common as well as some of the hidden credits available to bring down your rates. If they aren’t giving you every credit you deserve, you are not getting the best rate possible.
- Low Mileage – Keeping the miles down may allow you to get substantially lower premium rates.
- Good Student Discount – This discount may save you up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you up to age 25.
- Safe Driver Discounts – Insureds without accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than drivers with accidents.
- Use Seat Belts – Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to buckle their seat belts could cut 10% or more on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Factory options such as air bags or automatic seat belts can get savings up to 30%.
- No Claim Discounts – Drivers who don’t have accidents can save substantially when compared with frequent claim filers.
- Active Service Discounts – Being on active duty in the military could mean lower car insurance rates.
Policy discounts save money, but most credits do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. Even though it appears you would end up receiving a 100% discount, companies don’t profit that way.
Larger car insurance companies and their possible discounts can be read below.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for defensive driving training, good student, student away at school, multiple policy, safe vehicle, multiple autos, and anti-theft.
- Nationwide offers discounts for multi-policy, business or organization, family plan, defensive driving, and anti-theft.
- Geico may have discounts that include good student, multi-vehicle, air bags, membership and employees, and military active duty.
- AAA offers discounts including anti-theft, multi-car, good driver, multi-policy, education and occupation, pay-in-full, and good student.
- 21st Century may include discounts for early bird, homeowners, automatic seat belts, teen driver, defensive driver, and driver training.
- The Hartford may offer discounts for anti-theft, defensive driver, vehicle fuel type, driver training, air bag, and bundle.
Check with each company or agent to give you their best rates. A few discounts may not be offered in every state. For a list of companies that offer the discounts shown above in Utah, click here.
There are several ways to compare rate quotes from all the different companies. The quickest method to find the lowest rates consists of shopping online. This is quite simple and can be completed in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
- If you’re in a hurry, the quickest way to get the best comparison quotes is to use a rate comparison form (click to open form in new window). This type of form prevents you from having to do a different quote for each company you want a rate for. One simple form gets coverage cost estimates direct from many companies.
- A different way to analyze rates is to take the time to go to each company website to complete a price quote. For sake of this example, we’ll pretend you want to compare Progressive, 21st Century and GMAC. You would have to visit each site and enter your information, which is why the first method is quicker.
To view a list of companies in Moab, click here.
- The most difficult way to find and compare rates is to spend your day driving to insurance agents’ offices. Quoting and buying insurance online has reduced the need for local agents unless you have a complicated situation and need the professional assistance that only an agent can give. You can, however, compare online quotes and have a local agent actually service the policy.
The method you choose is up to you, but try to keep apples-to-apples coverage information for every company. If the quotes have different values for each quote it’s impossible to get a fair rate comparison in Moab. Even a minor difference in limits can make a big difference in price. It’s important to know that quoting more will enable you to find the best offered rates.
Why informed consumers pay less for insurance in Moab
Many things are part of the equation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some are obvious like an MVR report, but other criteria are less apparent such as your credit history or your commute time.
Shown below are a partial list of the pieces companies use to determine your rates.
- More than one policy can earn a discount – The majority of companies give better rates to buyers that purchase more than one policy. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you’re getting this discount it’s in your best interest to comparison shop to ensure the best deal. You may still be able to save more without the discount by buying from different companies
- Expect high rates for teens – Older, more experienced drivers are more responsible, cost insurance companies less in claims and get fewer tickets.Young drivers are proven to get distracted easily when driving so car insurance rates are higher.
- Safer the car lower the rate – Safe vehicles tend to have better insurance rates. Safe vehicles protect occupants better and reduced instances of injuries means less money paid by your insurance company which can result in lower premiums.
- Better premiums with anti-theft devices – Choosing to buy a car with a theft deterrent system can earn a premium discount. Advanced theft deterrents like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems help track and prevent auto theft and help lower rates.
- An active insurance claims history can cost you more – Insurance companies in Utah give the lowest premiums to policyholders who are claim-free. If you frequently file small claims, you can look forward to higher rates. Insurance coverage is meant to be used in the event of more catestrophic claims.
- Save money with higher physical damage deductibles – Insurance for physical damage to your car, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, is used to repair damage to your vehicle. Some examples of covered claims would be a dented fender, damage caused by hail, and damage caused by flying debris. Your deductibles state the amount of money you are willing to pay before your car insurance pays a claim. The more money you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- Don’t skimp on liability coverage – A critical coverage on your policy, liability insurance will afford coverage in the event that a court rules you are at fault for damages caused by your negligence. Liability insurance provides you with a defense in court to attempt to prove you were not liable. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to physical damage coverage, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Marriage can save you money – Walking down the aisle helps lower the price on car insurance. Marriage means you’re more mature and responsible and statistics prove married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
Local neighborhood insurance agents
Many people prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and that is a personal choice. The best thing about comparing insurance prices online is that drivers can save money and get lower rates and still choose a local agent.
By using this quick form, your information is instantly submitted to insurance agents in Moab who want to provide quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to contact any insurance agencies because prices are sent to you directly. You can find lower rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If you need to quote rates from a specific car insurance provider, you can always navigate to their website and give them your coverage information.
Finding the right insurer requires more thought than just the bottom line cost. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Will they make sure you get an adequate claim settlement?
- Do they have designations such as AIC, CPCU, or CIC?
To make it easy to select an agent near you, you may want to see this complete selection of Moab insurance agencies.
Be skeptical of car insurance ads
Car insurance companies such as Progressive, Allstate and Geico consistently run ads in print and on television. They all seem to make the same claim that drivers will save a bundle after switching your coverage. But how can every company save you money?
Insurance companies have underwriting criteria for the type of driver they prefer to insure. One example of a driver they prefer may be between 25 and 40, is a homeowner, and drives less than 5,000 miles a year. Any new insured who matches that profile gets the lowest rates and is almost guaranteed to save some money.
Insureds who fall outside these stringent criteria will have to pay higher premium rates and ends up with the customer buying from someone else. Company advertisements say “drivers who switch” not “everyone that quotes” can get the lowest rates when switching. This is how insurance companies can confidently state the savings. Because of this risk profiling, you absolutely need to quotes from several different companies. It’s just not possible to know with any certainty which company will fit your personal profile best.
Cheaper coverage is out there
Throughout this article, we presented many ideas to reduce car insurance prices online. The most important thing to understand is the more companies you get rates for, the higher your chance of finding . Consumers could even find that the most savings is with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising. They may have significantly lower rates on certain market segments than their larger competitors like Allstate and Progressive.
When shopping online for car insurance, don’t be tempted to reduce needed coverages to save money. Too many times, someone sacrificed liability coverage limits to discover at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your goal should be to get the best coverage possible at the best possible price.
Additional Utah consumer information
More detailed Utah car insurance information can be read at the Utah Insurance Department website. Consumers can read enforcement actions against agents and companies, read consumer alerts, and read industry bulletins.