Feel like you’re a prisoner to high-priced car insurance? Trust us when we tell you there are many people just like you.
Insurance companies such as Progressive, GEICO and Farmers Insurance continually bombard you with ad campaigns and it is difficult to avoid their marketing magic and find the best price available.
If you currently have car insurance, you will most likely be able to save some money using these methods. Finding the best rates in Montrose is not that difficult. But Colorado consumers do need to understand the methods companies use to determine prices.
You probably qualify for some discounts
Companies offering auto insurance don’t always advertise every discount in an easy-to-find place, so we break down both well-publicized as well as the least known car insurance savings.
- Discount for Good Grades – A discount for being a good student can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. The discount lasts until age 25.
- Homeowners Savings – Being a homeowner can help you save on car insurance because of the fact that having a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Accident Waiver – Some insurance companies will allow you to have one accident before your rates go up as long as you don’t have any claims for a certain period of time.
- Organization Discounts – Being a member of a civic or occupational organization may earn a discount on car insurance.
- Driver Safety – Completing a driver safety course could possibly earn you a 5% discount and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Military Discounts – Having a deployed family member could be rewarded with lower premiums.
- Senior Discount – Mature drivers can possibly qualify for reduced rates.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles are safer to drive and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Drive Less and Save – Fewer annual miles can qualify you for a substantially lower rate.
It’s important to note that most discount credits are not given to the entire cost. A few only apply to individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. So even though they make it sound like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
To choose providers who offer car insurance discounts in Montrose, click here to view.
What impacts Montrose insurance rates?
Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that go into determining your car insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what controls the rates you pay helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to lower car insurance prices.
Listed below are some of the factors that factor into prices.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-96.jpg" alt="Montrose CO car insurance prices” />
- What type of vehicle do you drive? – The make and model of the car you are buying insurance for makes a substantial difference in your rates. Small economy passenger cars generally receive the lowest base rates, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
- Do you qualify for a multi-policy discount? – Many car insurance companies will give a discount to people who carry more than one policy. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can add up to ten or even up to twenty percent in some cases. Even with this discount, it’s in your best interest to shop around to verify if the discount is saving money. You may still find a better deal by splitting coverages up.
- Too many car insurance claims drive up costs – Companies in Colorado generally give lower rates to insureds who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can look forward to either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Car insurance is intended to be relied upon for the large, substantial claims.
- Big city or small town – Being located in small towns and rural areas is a positive aspect when insuring your vehicles. City drivers have more traffic problems and a longer drive to work. Lower population means a lower chance of having an accident and a lower car theft rate.
Local Montrose agents and car insurance
Some consumers would prefer to buy from a licensed agent and that is OK! The biggest benefit of price shopping on the web is you can get the lowest rates but still work with a licensed agent.
After completing this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is emailed to companies in Montrose who will compete to get your business. You don’t have to leave your computer due to the fact that quote results will go straight to your inbox. Now that’s easy! Get lower rates AND a local agent.
Choosing an insurer needs to be determined by more than just a low price. Some important questions to ask are:
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Colorado?
- If your car is totalled, how to they determine the replacement cost?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
The different types of insurance agents
If you’re trying to find a local agent, there are a couple of types of agencies from which to choose. Insurance agencies in Montrose can either be independent or captive.
This type of agents are contracted to one company such as State Farm or Allstate. They generally cannot provide prices from multiple companies so always compare other rates. Captive agents receive extensive training on the products they sell which can be an advantage.
Below is a short list of captive insurance agencies in Montrose that can give you comparison quotes.
Farmers Insurance Group – 118 N Cascade Ave – Montrose, CO 81401 – (970) 240-8670
State Farm Insurance – 1020 S Townsend Ave # C – Montrose, CO 81401 – (970) 249-7551
American Family Insurance – 315 S 12th St # 2 – Montrose, CO 81401 – (970) 240-2155
Farm Bureau Insurance – 1122 N Townsend Ave – Montrose, CO 81401 – (970) 249-3436
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agencies are not required to write business for one company but instead can place your coverage with any number of different companies depending on which coverage is best. To move your coverage to a new company, an independent agent can move your coverage without you having to go to a different agency. When comparing rates, it’s recommended you include several independent insurance agents to ensure the widest selection of prices.
Below is a short list of independent agents in Montrose that can give you rate quotes.
Claystar Agency – 3045 Aerotech Pkwy # 5 – Montrose, CO 81401 – (970) 249-5535
Tom Shearer Agency – 67250 Kinikin Rd – Montrose, CO 81401 – (970) 249-1892
Mark Neill Insurance Svc – 1802 S Townsend Ave – Montrose, CO 81401 – (970) 252-8960
Martin Agency Inc – 605 N 1st St – Montrose, CO 81401 – (970) 249-0102
Cambell Insurance – 1425 Hawk Pkwy # 6 – Montrose, CO 81401 – (970) 240-8900
For a complete listing of car insurance agents in Montrose, go to this page.
Once you have reasonable responses to any questions you have and a low price estimate, you have narrowed it down to an insurance agency that will insure your vehicles.
Even more information is located at the Colorado DORA Division of Insurance website. Visitors are able to file complaints about a company, read industry bulletins, and get help finding coverage.
Do the work, save more money
The cheapest car insurance can be bought on the web and also from your neighborhood Montrose agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best selection. There are still a few companies who may not provide online quoting and many times these smaller companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, it’s not a good idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. Too many times, consumers will sacrifice liability limits or collision coverage only to find out they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your strategy should be to find the BEST coverage at a price you can afford while still protecting your assets.