Nobody I know looks forward to buying auto insurance, in particular when the price is too high.
Big-name insurance companies like GEICO, 21st Century and Progressive promote their brand names with advertising and consumers find it hard to see through the deception and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
Take advantage of discounts
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but there are discounts available that can drop the cost substantially. Some trigger automatically when you quote, but a few must be asked for before you get the savings.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Companies who offer life insurance give a discount if you purchase auto and life insurance together.
- Senior Discount – Mature drivers may receive a discount up to 10%.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes can avoid accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Use Seat Belts – Drivers who require all occupants to use a seat belt can save 10% or more off your PIP or medical payments premium.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Select companies give a discount for buying a policy prior to your current policy expiration. The savings is around 10%.
- Drivers Education – Require your teen driver to complete a driver education course if it’s offered in school.
As a disclaimer on discounts, some credits don’t apply to the entire cost. Some only reduce individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. So when it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, it doesn’t quite work that way. Any qualifying discounts will reduce your premiums.
To see a list of providers who offer auto insurance discounts in Everett, click here to view.
How to know if you need help
When choosing adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a one size fits all plan. Each situation is unique and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply. For example, these questions might point out whether or not you will benefit from professional help.
- Will my vehicle be repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Is my cargo covered for damage or theft?
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- Can I pay claims out-of-pocket if I buy high deductibles?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- What are Washington no-fault laws?
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
- What should my uninsured motorist coverage limits be in Washington?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
The auto insurance bait and switch
Allstate, GEICO and Progressive continually stream ads on television and other media. All the companies say the same thing about savings after switching your policy. How do they all make the same claim?
All companies are able to cherry pick for the right customer that makes them money. A good example of a profitable customer could possibly be a mature driver, owns a home, and has a high credit rating. Any driver who meets those qualifications gets the lowest rates and is almost guaranteed to save a lot of money.
Drivers who don’t measure up to the “perfect” profile must pay higher prices which usually ends up with the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ads say “drivers who switch” not “everyone that quotes” save money. That’s the way companies can truthfully make those claims.
This illustrates why you need to quote coverage with many companies. Because you never know which company will provide you with the cheapest rates.
More sites with auto insurance information
More information can be found on the website for the Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner found here. Visitors are able to get help finding coverage, view agent and company licensing information, find out which companies have the most complaints, and file complaints about a company.
Better coverage you can count on
While you’re price shopping online, it’s not a good idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are a lot of situations where consumers will sacrifice liability limits or collision coverage and learned later that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your goal should be to buy enough coverage at an affordable rate.
Lower-priced auto insurance can be purchased both online as well as from independent agents in Everett, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some companies don’t offer online quoting and these small, regional companies work with independent agents.