Comparing could seem overwhelming if you are a beginner to quote comparisons online. Don’t let the process intimidate you because finding better rates is easier than you think.
When comparison shopping, there are several ways of comparing rate quotes from companies that offer auto insurance in Virginia. The easiest way by far to comparison shop is simply to get online rate quotes. It is quite easy and can be accomplished in a couple of different ways.
- One of the simplest ways to get the best comparison quotes is an all-inclusive rate comparison click here to open form in new window. This easy form saves time by eliminating repetitive form entry to each individual auto insurance company. A single, simple form compares rates from several companies. Just one form and you’re done.
- A slightly less efficient method to find better pricing requires you to visit the website for every company you want to comare and get a separate price quote. For sake of this example, let’s say you want to compare prices for Liberty Mutual, State Farm and Travelers. To get each rate you have to go to each individual site and enter your policy data, which is not fast way to get rate quotes. To view a list of companies in Galax, click here.
- The most time-consuming way to shop rates is physically going to and from local Galax insurance agencies. The ability to quote online reduces the need to sit down with an agent unless you’re the type of person who wants the extra assistance of a local Galax agent. If you prefer, some companies allow you to price shop your coverage online but buy the policy through an agent.
The method you choose is up to you, but be sure you’re using nearly identical information for every company. If you compare different data it will be next to impossible to make a fair comparison in Galax. Having just a slight variation in insurance coverages or limits can mean a large discrepancy in price. Just remember that making a lot of price comparisons will enable you to find more affordable rates.
Do you qualify for discounts?
Some providers don’t always publicize the entire discount list in an easy-to-find place, so the following list contains some of the best known in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits available to bring down your rates.
- Discounts for Federal Employees – Active or retired federal employment could cut as much as 10% off with certain companies.
- Claim Free – Claim-free drivers have much lower rates as opposed to frequent claim filers.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Cars that have air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems could see savings of 25 to 30%.
- Galax Homeowners Discount – Just being a homeowner can save a few bucks because owning a home demonstrates responsibility.
- One Accident Forgiven – Not really a discount, but companies like State Farm and Allstate allow you one accident before raising your premiums with the catch being you have to be claim-free for a specific time period.
- Use Seat Belts – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to wear their seat belts can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Payment Method – If you pay your bill all at once rather than paying monthly you can avoid monthly service charges.
Just know that many deductions do not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. Despite the appearance that you could get a free auto insurance policy, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous.
To locate insurers that offer the discounts shown above in Virginia, click this link.
Are insurance agencies used anymore?
Some people would rather go talk to an agent and that is OK! An additional benefit of price shopping on the web is the fact that you can find better rates and also buy local. And supporting local insurance agents is especially important in Galax.
After completing this simple form, the coverage information gets sent to insurance agents in Galax who will give you bids for your business. You won’t need to leave your computer because quoted prices will be sent directly to you. You can get cheaper auto insurance rates and a licensed agent to talk to. In the event you want to compare prices from a specific insurance company, you would need to go to their quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
To see a list of insurance agents near you, visit this directory of Galax auto insurance agents.
Finding the right insurance company shouldn’t rely on just a cheap price quote. Before buying a policy, get answers to these questions.
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- Does the company use OEM repair parts?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- How many companies do they write for?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- Can you contact them at any time?
Upon getting good answers to all your questions and an affordable coverage quote, most likely you have located an provider that meets your needs to insure your vehicles.
Your situation helps dictate your coverage
When it comes to choosing the best auto insurance coverage, there really is not a one size fits all plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s.
For instance, these questions may help highlight if you might need professional guidance.
- Is my babysitter covered when using my vehicle?
- Is a new car covered when I drive it off the dealer lot?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- Does my vehicle qualify for pleasure use?
- Do I have coverage if my license is suspended?
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- Do I need motorclub coverage?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
Smart consumers can save money
Lots of factors are part of the equation when pricing auto insurance. Most are fairly basic such as traffic violations, but some are less obvious like where you live or how financially stable you are. A large part of saving on auto insurance is knowing the factors that go into determining the rates you pay for auto insurance. If you have some idea of what controls the rates you pay, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get much lower annual insurance costs.
- Add-on coverages that may not be needed – Insurance companies have many extra bells and whistles that sound like a good idea at the time if you aren’t careful. Coverage for things like rental car coverage, towing coverage, and additional equipment coverage could be just wasting money. They may seem good when you first buy your policy, but if you have no use for them remove them and pocket the money.
- Adjust deductibles and save – Insurance for physical damage to your car, also known as collision and other-than-collision, protects your car from damage. Some examples of claims that would be covered would be collision with another vehicle, hitting a deer, and windstorm damage. Physical damage deductibles tell how much you are required to pay before your auto insurance pays a claim. The more money you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- Insure your auto and home with one company – Some insurers will give lower prices to people who buy several policies from them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. The discount can add up to 10 percent or more. Even though this discount sounds good, it’s always a smart idea to get quotes from other companies to make sure you are getting the best deal. Consumers may save even more than the discount by buying auto insurance from a different company.
- Gender impacts costs – The statistics show women are more cautious behind the wheel. It does not mean men are WORSE drivers than women. Both genders are responsible for fender benders in similar percentages, but males have costlier accidents. Not only that, but men also have more aggressive citations like DUI and reckless driving. Youthful male drivers have the highest risk to insure so they pay the highest premiums.
- Liability protection is important – The liability coverage on your policy will protect you when you are found to be at fault for physical damage or personal injury to other. Liability insurance provides legal defense coverage up to the limits shown on your policy. Liability insurance is pretty cheap as compared to coverage for physical damage, so do not skimp.
- Insurance rates for married couples – Walking down the aisle may cut your premiums on auto insurance. Having a significant other means you’re more mature and insurance companies like that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Is your car built for speed? – The performance of the car or truck you are trying to find cheaper insurance for makes a significant difference in your car insurance bill. Low performance passenger models usually have the lowest premiums, but many other things help determine your insurance rates.
- What’s your car’s safety rating? – Vehicles with high crash test scores get lower rates. Highly rated vehicles have better occupant injury protection and lower injury rates means less claims paid and thus lower rates.
Cheaper auto insurance rates are out there
In this article, we presented a lot of tips how to get a better price on auto insurance. It’s most important to understand that the more price quotes you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers may even find the biggest savings come from a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising.
When getting , it’s a bad idea to skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many situations where an accident victim reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits and learned later that it was a big error on their part. Your goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
People change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as unfair underwriting practices, denial of a claim, policy cancellation and even delays in responding to claim requests. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding a great new company is actually quite simple.
For more information
More information can be found on the found here. Virginia consumers can find disaster information, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, and discover disciplinary actions.