I can’t think of anyone who looks forward to paying for auto insurance, especially when they are aware that the cost is too high. There are many auto insurance companies to pick from, and although it’s a good thing to be able to choose, lots of choices makes it harder to compare rates and find the lowest cost auto insurance.
Finding more affordable coverage in Goshen is easy if you know what you’re doing. If you have insurance now or need a new policy, you can follow these tips to find better prices while maintaining coverages. Indiana vehicle owners just need to learn the best way to compare company rates on the web.
Discounts to earn lower Goshen auto insurance rates
Some providers don’t necessarily list their entire list of discounts very well, so we break down both the well known and the harder-to-find discounts that you may qualify for.
- Waiver for an Accident – This one is not really a discount per se, but some companies like Allstate and State Farm allow you one accident without the usual rate increase so long as you are claim-free for a set time period.
- College Student Discount – Children who live away from home to go to college and do not take a car to college could qualify for this discount.
- Air Bag Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts may earn rate discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Accident Free – Drivers with accident-free driving histories can save substantially as opposed to frequent claim filers.
- Theft Deterent Discount – Cars equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and earn discounts up to 10% off your .
A quick disclaimer, many deductions do not apply to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. Just because it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, you’re out of luck.
Some of the larger companies who might offer most of the discounts above include:
When quoting, ask every insurance company how you can save money. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not be offered on policies in every state.
Getting cheaper auto insurance pricing is a great way to save money. You just have to spend a little time to get quotes to find. Shoppers can get rates using a couple different methods.
The single most time-saving way consumers can analyze rates is an all-inclusive rate comparison like this one (opens in new window). This type of form eliminates the need for boring form submissions for each company. One form will return quotes from many national carriers.
A slightly less efficient method to find lower rates is to take the time to go to the website for every company you want to comare to complete their respective quote request forms. For instance, let’s say you want to view quotes from State Farm, Progressive and Farmers. You would be required to go to every website and repeatedly type in your coverage information, which can get old fast. For a handy list of car insurance company links in Goshen, click here.
Which method you use is up to you, but make sure you use nearly identical coverage limits and deductibles for every quote you compare. If you are comparing mixed coverages it’s not possible to make a fair comparison in Goshen.
Rate influencing factors
Part of the auto insurance buying process is learning the different types of things that play a part in calculating the level of your policy premiums. When you understand what impacts premium levels, this enables you to make decisions that can earn you lower rates.
- Always keep your auto insurance in force – Having a gap between insurance policy dates will be a fast way to pay more for auto insurance. In addition to paying higher premiums, failure to provide proof of insurance can result in fines and jail time.
- Costs impacted by your city – Choosing to live in areas with lower population is a positive aspect when shopping for auto insurance. Drivers who live in large cities have to deal with traffic congestion and longer commute times. Fewer drivers on the road means reduced accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft.
- Safer cars means better auto insurance rates – Cars with five star safety ratings can get you lower premiums. These vehicles help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and lower injury rates translates directly to fewer claims which can result in lower premiums. If your car or truck is rated at least an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website you may be receiving a better rate.
- Better drivers pay the best premiums – Good drivers pay lower auto insurance prices than people who have multiple driving citations. Having a single speeding ticket can increase the cost of insurance substantially. People who have severe violations like reckless driving or DUI might be required by their state to submit a SR-22 form with their state’s licensing department in order to legally drive.
- Married drivers pay lower rates – Getting married may save some money compared to being single. Marriage may mean you are more responsible and it’s proven that drivers who are married are more cautious.
- What type of vehicle do you drive? – The performance level of the car or truck you are insuring makes a substantial difference in determining your rates. The best insurance prices are for the lowest performance passenger models, but that’s not the only thing that factors into the final price.
- Save money by raising physical damage deductibles – Protection for physical damage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, covers your vehicle from damage. A few examples of covered claims could be a broken windshield, hail damage, and windstorm damage. Comp and collision deductibles define the amount you are willing to pay if a covered claim is submitted. The more of the claim you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Certain employers raise auto insurance rates – Occupational choices like military generals, social workers and stock brokers have higher premium rates because of intense work-related stress and lengthy work days. On the other hand, professions such as professors, students and performers generally pay rates lower than average.
Buy online or local, you save
Affordable auto insurance can be found on the web as well as from insurance agents, and you should be comparing both so you have a total pricing picture. Some auto insurance companies may not offer the ability to get a quote online and many times these smaller providers provide coverage only through independent agents.
We covered some good ideas how to lower your auto insurance prices. The most important thing to understand is the more companies you get rates for, the better likelihood of getting . Consumers could even find that the lowest priced auto insurance comes from the least-expected company. They may cover specific market segments cheaper than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm, Geico and Nationwide.
When searching for , it’s a bad idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There have been many situations where an insured dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to find out that the savings was not a smart move. Your aim should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best possible price while not skimping on critical coverages.
Much more information about auto insurance in Indiana is located on the website for the Indiana Department of Insurance. Click here for link. Consumers can learn about insurance regulations, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, find disaster information, and file complaints about an insurance agent or broker.