I really doubt anyone likes paying for auto insurance, in particular when the cost is way too high. Many insurers compete for your insurance dollar, so it can be very hard to choose a provider to find the absolute best rates possible.
Consumers should take time to shop coverage around every six months because insurance prices are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. Just because you had the lowest price a few years ago you can probably find a better rate quote now. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because you’re about to find out the fastest and easiest way to lower your rates without sacrificing coverage.
There are a variety of methods to compare auto insurance prices but some are easier and takes less work. You can waste a lot of time talking to local insurance agents in Kinston, or you can stay home and use the internet to get rates in a matter of minutes.
Most of the best insurance companies take part in a program where prospective buyers enter their coverage request one time, and each participating company can give them a price based on that information. This prevents consumers from doing form submissions for every auto insurance company.
To access this free quoting program, click here (opens in new window).
The single downside to using this type of system is you cannot specify which insurance companies to get pricing from. If you wish to select from a list of companies for rate comparison, we put together a list of the cheapest auto insurance companies in North Carolina. View list of North Carolina insurance companies.
You can use whichever method you prefer to find lower rates, just compare apples-to-apples coverage information for each comparison quote. If the quotes have differing limits you will not be able to determine the best price in Kinston. Even a minor difference in coverages may result in large price differences. Keep in mind that more quotes increases the change that you will find more affordable insurance. Not every company allows you to get prices over the internet, so it’s recommended that you also compare price estimates from the smaller companies as well.
Do you qualify for discounts?
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always publicize every policy discount very clearly, so we break down some of the best known as well as the least known credits available to lower your premiums when you .
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Cut your cost by having your teen driver participate in a local driver’s education class as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
- Telematics Devices – Drivers that enable companies to look at vehicle usage remotely such as State Farm’s In-Drive might see lower rates if they have good driving habits.
- Discounts for Cautious Drivers – Safe drivers may receive a discount up to 45% compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts – Cars, trucks, and SUVs with ABS braking systems or traction control prevent accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Some insurance carriers give a small discount if you purchase some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
- Paperless Signup – Certain larger companies give back up to $50 just for signing your application on the internet.
- Payment Method – By making one initial payment as opposed to paying monthly you can avoid monthly service charges.
- Air Bag Discount – Factory air bags or motorized seat belts can qualify for discounts as much as 30%.
- Discount for New Cars – Buying a new car instead of a used car may earn a small discount because newer vehicles are generally safer.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Low mileage vehicles could qualify for substantially lower prices.
Please keep in mind that some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. Some only apply to individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though it sounds like you could get a free auto insurance policy, that’s just not realistic.
The best auto insurance companies and a selection of discounts are included below.
- State Farm has discounts for Steer Clear safe driver discount, defensive driving training, passive restraint, Drive Safe & Save, multiple autos, and good driver.
- Liberty Mutual offers discounts for multi-policy, exclusive group savings, new move discount, safety features, teen driver discount, new graduate, and hybrid vehicle.
- American Family offers premium reductions for good student, multi-vehicle, defensive driver, mySafetyValet, Steer into Savings, and good driver.
- Progressive includes discounts for online signing, continuous coverage, online quote discount, homeowner, good student, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle.
- Farmers Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including homeowner, teen driver, alternative fuel, business and professional, distant student, good student, and switch companies.
- Auto-Owners Insurance may include discounts for good student, safe driver, teen driver, group or association, anti-lock brakes, mature driver, and anti-theft.
- SAFECO may offer discounts for anti-theft, accident prevention training, anti-lock brakes, teen safe driver, and teen safety rewards.
When comparing rates, check with each insurance company which discounts you may be entitled to. Some discounts listed above may not be available in Kinston. To see companies that offer the discounts shown above in North Carolina, follow this link.
What determines your policy premium?
Multiple criteria are considered when you get your auto insurance bill. Some of the criteria are obvious like an MVR report, but others are less obvious such as your marital status and annual miles driven.
- Bundle policies and save money – Most larger companies apply discounts to insureds who consolidate policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you qualify for this discount already, you still need to shop around to ensure the best deal.
- Gender as a rate factor – Statistics demonstrate that females tend to be a little less risky than males. However, this does not mean women are better drivers. Both sexes get in accidents at a similar rate, but men tend to have higher claims. Men also receive more costly citations like reckless driving and DUI.
- Deter theft and pay less – Purchasing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can get you a discount on your auto insurance. Theft prevention features like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all help stop car theft.
- Stay claim-free and lower premiums – Car insurance companies in North Carolina award lower rates to drivers who are not frequent claim filers. If you file claims often, you can definitely plan on much higher rates or policy non-renewal. Insurance coverage is intended to be relied upon for claims that pose a financial burden.
- High comp and collision deductibles equal low rates – Physical damage coverage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, helps pay for damage to your vehicle. Some examples of claims that would be covered could be a windshield shattered by a rock, vandalism, or theft. Deductibles for physical damage define how much you are willing to pay out-of-pocket if a covered claim is submitted. The higher the amount you’re willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- Having a spouse equates to better premiums – Being married can actually save you money when shopping for auto insurance. Marriage may mean you are more mature and statistics show married couples file fewer claims.
- Safer cars means better premiums – Vehicles that have high safety ratings tend to be cheaper to insure. Safer cars help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and fewer injuries means your insurance company pays less and thus lower rates. If your vehicle is rated at least four stars on Safercar.gov it may cost less to insure.
You can lower your rates
The cheapest auto insurance can be purchased both online and from local agencies, so get from both of them to have the best chance of lowering rates. There are still a few companies who may not have online quoting and these smaller companies only sell coverage through independent agencies.
We just showed you some good ideas how you can reduce auto insurance car insurance rates online. It’s most important to understand that the more price quotes you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even find the biggest savings come from a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising. These companies can often provide lower premium rates in certain areas compared to the large companies like Allstate or State Farm.
As you , you should never skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many cases where an insured cut comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret that the savings was not a smart move. The proper strategy is to find the BEST coverage at the best cost but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Additional auto insurance information is located on the website for the North Carolina Department of Insurance found here. Visitors are able to file complaints about a company, learn about specific coverages, find a variety of consumer forms, and get help finding coverage.